It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trigeminal Neuralgia Message Board

Mild Trigeminal Neuralgia

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-26-2014, 11:58 PM   #1
chooky01
(female)

chooky01 HB User
Question Mild Trigeminal Neuralgia

Hi all =)

I was wondering if anyone has this experience with Trigeminal Neuralgia (TN)

I understand it can be a quite debilitating condition and that it can affect all kinds of things ie eating, speaking and what not, but was wondering if anyone has had mild TN.

For the record I have no dental problems.

The last day or three lol, more like 3 days I have been experiencing a dull ache across my right cheek bone area, it is quite sore when I touch it, and I often find myself without knowing I'm doing it at the time, just resting my hand over the area as if to try to dull the ache (doesn't work, nor has over the counter tablets worked). At work they asked me why I was doing that, I told them my cheek hurts. It does not feel like it is my cheek bone, more feels like soft tissue areas that goes around to my ear and above my eye a little, and on the temple.

I have read that TN can be just a dull ache and doesn't haveto be the intense electric shock like symptom all the time, I do get a little kind of jab of pain from time to time, (very intermittently ) but generally it is a dull ache in the area's I've stated, enough for it to be quite bothersome enough to mention it as it is quite persistant.

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced (TN) like this? Instead of the extreme version of (TN)

I am currently seeing a neuro, for possible MS, and heard (TN) can be a symptom, I have posted this thread on the MS boards but they have directed me here.

Chooky.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2014, 09:33 PM   #2
twohands
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User
Re: Mild Trigeminal Neuralgia

Hello,

I have TN and don't always have severe pain, and my TN is atypical which means it tends to be more of a dull ache nerve pain vs. electric shocks. I do tend to get some electric shocks at times however.

If you have only been having this pain for a few days you would not get diagnosed with TN yet. TN is usually diagnosed after the nerve pain lasts for months and after all other possible nerve pain causes (such as abscess teeth, shingles) have been ruled out.

Also, TN tends to be worse in the lower jaw area in most people vs. the cheek bone area, although some have terrible lower jaw pain with some milder cheek pain.

Your current facial nerve pain would definitely be something to bring up to the neuro when you see them. MS can cause some rather strange nerve problems to happen, and it could be possible MS would be affecting your trigeminal nerve in some ways that wouldn't be typical presentations of TN.

The Following User Says Thank You to twohands For This Useful Post:
chooky01 (05-08-2014)
Closed Thread

Tags
trigeminal neuralgia