It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board

• Antidepressants, Fertility, & Conceiving

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-10-2019, 09:42 PM   #1
    midwest guy
    (male)

midwest guy HB User
    Antidepressants, Fertility, & Conceiving

My wife and I are both in our late twenties and are ready to start our family. Within the past 2 years, I slowly began having stomach issues, mostly because of a combination of food allergies, diet, work, stress, etc. After 2 years of doctor's visits and tests, my gastroenterologist believes it is IBS . I have always been against taking medication of any kind, but my issues slowly got to the point they were interfering with my career and quality of life. The gastroenterologist suggested a low dose of an antidepressant as an off-label use, a method which is becoming more popular in controlling IBS.

I began taking a very low dose, 10 mg, of a TCA (tricyclic) antidepressant called Desipramine (Norpramin), once daily for approximately the past 3 months. The medication has actually made a world of difference. I am not completely back to normal, but it has made my symptoms much more manageable.

I have read various articles and studies online which talk about antidepressants reducing sperm count and potentially causing infertility (which is mostly reversible upon stopping medication). However, I believe a lot of those studies are based on people taking antidepressants for depression and anxiety at a much higher dosage, around 100 mg - 200 mg, as opposed to my low dose of 10 mg, and they seem to focus on SSRI antidepressants instead of TCAs.

Given that stopping the medication all together may cause my symptoms to return and bring me right back to square one, I am curious if anyone has any advice and/or experience conceiving while taking antidepressants, whether on a high dose or low dose.

I know this is more of a concern when the mother is taking antidepressants prior to, throughout, and after pregnancy, but I haven't been able to find much information about fathers taking antidepressants while conceiving as it relates to sperm count, fertility, birth defects, etc.

We are both in relatively good shape, don't smoke or use any tobacco, rarely drink, avoid most sugar and junk food.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2019, 02:19 PM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Antidepressants, Fertility, & Conceiving

Dear midwest guy,

I suggest that you concentrate on eating in a healthy way that avoids all digestion triggers, get your gut in balance, plus wean off the drug.

There is a lot of research on how to rebalance the gut. I have gut imbalance issues myself, and yes that does cause anxiety. So can alcohol. Alcohol is exactly like eating pure sugar. All of those things also contribute to other diet related imbalances that seriously affect your health.

So that is something that besides conception issues, in my opinion, you need to to take care of to be a good example to your wife and child. It isn't just about getting the wife pregnant. It creates life long consequences if you don't take proper care of your health.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:16 PM   #3
    midwest guy
    (male)

midwest guy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yayagirl View Post
    Dear midwest guy,

I suggest that you concentrate on eating in a healthy way that avoids all digestion triggers, get your gut in balance, plus wean off the drug.

There is a lot of research on how to rebalance the gut. I have gut imbalance issues myself, and yes that does cause anxiety. So can alcohol. Alcohol is exactly like eating pure sugar. All of those things also contribute to other diet related imbalances that seriously affect your health.

So that is something that besides conception issues, in my opinion, you need to to take care of to be a good example to your wife and child. It isn't just about getting the wife pregnant. It creates life long consequences if you don't take proper care of your health.
    Not sure exactly what you're getting at here, doesn't really answer my question...

I said we very rarely drink alcohol, less than once a month, and I have changed my diet since the stomach issues began.

And not sure what you mean about "setting a good example" for my wife and future child. I'm doing just fine "setting a good example," thanks............

Old 01-11-2019, 06:50 PM   #4
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

No offense was intended. Sorry midwest guy, that I was not more clear.

You mentioned studies that indicate antidepressants can reduce sperm count and potentially cause infertility. I agree that yes, the antidepressant can affect one that way. You can read up on a long list of side effects here - https://www.drugs.com/sfx/norpramin-side-effects.html

Though you consider that the amount of alcohol either of you drink is too minuscule to negatively impact your bodies, what I am saying is that alcohol and antidepressants are known to interfere with the digestive and endocrine (hormone) system and therefore interfere with ability to impregnate or get pregnant as well as overall health & mood. Alcohol itself is a depressant, and is never is to be used while on antidepressants.

In my opinion to mix trying to impregnate with drug or any amount of alcohol use is unwise and counterproductive. That's just my personal outlook. Of course, what you choose to risk is completely your own choice.

Reply Reply