It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board

• GOOD INFO: Find out when you ovulate! 4 Methods to Help Determine Ovulation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-13-2005, 02:11 PM   #1
    laurabelle1317
    Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User
    GOOD INFO: Find out when you ovulate! 4 Methods to Help Determine Ovulation

Hi ladies. There are so many questions about trying to find out when you are ovulating that I am dedicating a new thread just to methods to find out when you ovulate.

OVULATION PREDICTION KITS
    You can use ovulation prediction kits to help predict ovulation. When an opk comes up positive, it means you will ovulate in 24-36 hrs usually. The package says to use one per day, but I highly suggest using 2 a day - one around noon and one around 10pm. This way you are sure to see your LH surge - using one a day sometimes makes women miss their hormone surge. Also, it isn't always suggested to use early morning urine because many women's hormone surge will occur while she is sleeping, and it takes about 8 hrs to get into the urine stream. So noon and 10pm should be able to pick up your surge, as long as you hold your urine for 3-2 hours before using the opk.

CM METHOD
    Around ovulation, a woman's cm (cervical mucus/fluid) tends to increase in amount and become wetter or like an egg white consistency. An egg white consistency is considered the most fertile, but wet cm is also very fertile. Generally, a women's wettest cm day is the day that she has ovulated or is about to ovulate. You can check cm when you go to the bathroom and wipe with tissue or you can feel externally with your finger. Often the best way to check cm is to check internally with 2 fingers. Place 2 fingers internally up near your cervix, one on each side. Then bring the two fingers down to where they meet and then bring your fingers out - you should then have plenty of cm to determine its type and consistency. (If you don't have cm - then you are having a dry day and probably not approaching ovualtion.) Be sure to use clean hands!!

CERVICAL POSITION
    This can be a difficult method to use, and I would suggest to more research on it if you would like to use it. It requires using a finger to internally check the position of your cervix. It would need to be checked throughout your cycle so you can detect the changes. When you are approaching ovulation your cervix should become:
    Soft
    High (sometimes completely out of reach)
    Open
    Wet (from cm)

BASAL BODY TEMPERATURE CHARTINGYou will know when you have Oed by charting your temperature on a graph in the morning. This moethod does not predict ovulation but shows you that you have for sure ovulated and when you have ovulated.

To chart temperatures, follow these guidelines:
    - Temp at the same time each morning before getting out of bed.
    - Make sure you have had at least 3 hrs of uninterrupted sleep before temping.
    - Plot it on a temperature graph with temps on the vertical line and date on the horizontal line.
    - Pre-ovulatory temps will be lower. Post-ovulatory temps will be higher. Once you see the thermal shift, then you know you have ovulated. The thermal shift occurs right after you have ovulated - so ovulation day is usually the day before the thermal shift. If you don't see a thermal shift, then you may not be ovulating.

You can't really predict when you will ovulate, until you find a pattern after a few months. (But then even some women are not regular enough to find a pattern.) The benefit is that you can keep BDing until you see that your temperature has risen - then you know you have ovulated! It takes the guesswork out of wondering if you have ovulated. There are factors that affect your temperature though, such as sickness or not enough sleep, but overall it is a good method. It is also the only method that shows you if for sure you have ovulated and about which day you have ovulated.

It is worth it to chart temperatures because it only takes about 1 minute a day! You can look for bbt (basal body temperature) graphs online or buy a bbt thermometer for $10 which will have the graphs in it as well.

Additionally, if your temperature stays raised for 18 or more days past ovulation day, then you are most likely pregnant. If you are not pregnant, that it should go back down right before or during your period.

Good luck everyone! Please do let me know if you need more help or have questions. I sure hope this has been very helpful to everyone! You can continue to find more information about these methods online or in the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility.

~Laura~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2005, 03:06 PM   #2
    Sonicboom

Sonicboom HB User
    Re: GOOD INFO: Find out when you ovulate! 4 Methods to Help Determine Ovulation

If you have a speculum, taking a look at your cervix is also a very good indicator. It's very hard to feel with a fingertip when the os has opened, but quite obvious when you see it.

Old 01-14-2005, 02:33 AM   #3
    sammieP
    Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User

I find these methods a good indicator but i also use an ovulation microscope as it lasts for life (so long as you get the one that you can re fit batteries into!) plus its easy to use, you simply lick the underpiece of the glass and re fit it to the microscope, allow it to dry for approximately 15minutes and then read the sample. Its the size of a lipstick and when im out and about people dont know its a microsope - its great.

Just thought id add that, hope you dont mind laurabelle?

Old 01-14-2005, 05:14 AM   #4
    laurabelle1317
    Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User

Of course I don't mind! Sont' be silly.

I agree, some people use the ovulation microscopes. I have never read a lot of information about it, but have definitely thought about purchasing one. I was going to this month but they are more expensive than what I want to pay around here. I know a place 25 minutes away that has it so $20, so someday I might get out there and get it.

~L~

Old 01-14-2005, 05:42 AM   #5
    sammieP
    Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User

I purchased mine off the internet as i could not find one round here, its great and so straight forward to use. I certainly reccommend them and so did my doctor.

Old 01-19-2005, 01:01 PM   #6
    sammieP
    Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User

Did you get the ovulation microscope yet? Just wandered what you thought if you had!

Old 01-19-2005, 09:36 PM   #7
    laurabelle1317
    Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User

I have not...the stores arond me sell it for more than I want too pay and my local walmart does not have it...a walmart farther away has it. So my local walmart may be able to order it. I jsut need to remember to call during the day and speak to a particular employee about it. So then I will get it next month if I need it. I bought opk's this month though because dh is really sick. Hopefully I will be able to predict ovulation and we wil lbe able to get at least 1 or 2 times in before I ovulate. But its not looking promising.

~L~

Old 02-17-2005, 02:35 AM   #8
    sammieP
    Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User

Laurabelle, this is such good info, thankyou.

Just wandering if you had got hold of the o scope yet to see what you thought of it?

Old 02-24-2005, 08:52 AM   #9
    laurabelle1317
    Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User

bumping this up - because it is still good info!

Old 03-25-2005, 10:49 PM   #10
    Living4Him

Living4Him HB User

Bump for newbies

Closed Thread