It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board

• Questions about ovulation scopes....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-07-2005, 07:26 AM   #1
    babyfever

babyfever HB User
    Questions about ovulation scopes....

So I got an ovulation scope and have been using it for about a month now.
    There was one day that I saw fern type things on the scope, but there was only a couple. Then after that, I saw nothing the rest of the month.

I can't help but wonder if I'm using it incorrectly or if it was just a waist of time and money.

The directions that came with mine were VERY vague. Is there a certain amount of salyvia that you are supposed to put on the scope??

How about getting the salyvia on the scope?? Is there a 'better' way to get it on there than with your tounge or finger??

It also says to let it dry for about 10 mins. before reading. Well, I have done this and some times it's dry and sometimes it's not. Is there something on timing the drying that I'm not getting or doing correctly??

And finally, how come I saw fern type things on only one day??? I thought it was supposed to show you up to three days before and three days after ovulation.(?)

Any help would be great! And thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2005, 07:36 AM   #2
    sammieP
    Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User
    Re: Questions about ovulation scopes....

I had the same problem with my scope, i saw ferns and spots one day then nothing for two days (just spots) and then ferns and spots again and now nothing since

I lick mine and then put it on my dressing table to dry for about 15 minutes and then i read it, my instructions were very vague so i asked my chemist, he said you can lick it or use you inner cheek bit or your cm, personally i use my saliva, but either works, he said it best not to use your finger as it may interfere with the reading!

Im not sure if you should put a certain amount of saliva on it though! Sometimes mine only shows up 2 spots when i lick it and other times it shows up loads, so im not 100% how much is 'enough'.

Hope this has helped a little

p.s the spotting and ferns is called the Transition phase.

Last edited by sammieP; 02-17-2005 at 07:38 AM.

Old 02-17-2005, 07:58 AM   #3
    Sliminside
    (female)

Sliminside HB User

Hi what`s the make of the scope you have bought I have the ovatel one which I bought online, i have been using it for a month and its really easy to use and works perfect, just need to conceive now, good luck

Old 02-17-2005, 08:58 AM   #4
    sammieP
    Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User

Mine is an isis scope.

Old 02-17-2005, 11:15 AM   #5
    laurabelle1317
    Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User

I started using my scope on Friday. Here are my results day by day with PF meaning partial ferning and F meaning full ferning:

Fri: PF
    Sat: F
    Sun: F
    Mon: PF
    Tues: PF
    Wed: PF
    Thurs: PF

So I have seen ferning for too long it seems. And I had 2 days of full ferning and now it is back to partial ferning. I definitley have not ovulated yet, as my temp was real low today. I am starting to think that these scopes don't work so well. Like yes - I have clearly seen ferning and it looks real cool, but it doesn't seem to be at the right times in my cycle yet. So I don't know. I am just as confused as everyone else. Also, I can't really use a morning saliva sample - that always reults in nor ferning at all, even though I may be ferning later in the day.

It will be interesting to see what it does as I actually do get closer to ovulation and then actually ovulate.

I hope wew al get the hang of these things! Actually, I hope we all won't need to use them next month!

~Laura~

Last edited by laurabelle1317; 02-17-2005 at 11:15 AM.

Old 02-17-2005, 02:13 PM   #6
    suimont
    (female)

suimont HB User
    Smile Re: Questions about ovulation scopes....

hi only got my ov scope on monday think its fab,spent a few days only testing nothing yet.noticed ferns today but i have noticed if you put to much saliva on it ferns loads.then tested again due to shock a nothing showed.just wanted to mention it so we can all be careful i got really extd for nothing dont want anyone else to do the same by to much sal.no af still since 4th feb still got bfn broke today and tested at lunch time how stupid never mind what a waste.when do you think i should exp af to show maybe 28days from missed one?any ideas?
    best wishes to you all
    thx anna

Old 02-17-2005, 04:36 PM   #7
    laurabelle1317
    Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User

What does everyone else think? If you put a lot of saliva on it - will it always fern? When I put a lot on then it does fern - but aren't we supposed to put a generous amount on?

It also seems that when I put the saliva sample on it covers the whole lense, but then when it dries it has all formed together on just part of the lens. So then that part will show ferns but the other part will not show anything - not even just a bunch of dots. So am I supposed to just look at the part that sried/formed together? If that is all ferns then is that full ferning?

This seems to be way more confusing then it is worth. What does everyone else think?

~Laura~

Old 02-18-2005, 10:13 AM   #8
    rayray9
    Inactive
    (female)

rayray9 HB User

i will let you know what i think for i order the ovatel too online. should be recieving it here soon.

Old 02-18-2005, 11:27 AM   #9
    suimont
    (female)

suimont HB User
    Thumbs down Re: Questions about ovulation scopes....

well i can see the problems we seem to be having had the same prob today,tried sal from inside cheek which seemed to dry patchy with ferns in patched areas.tried off the tongue hard not to get bubbles but had a few ferns .tried again off tongue licking still got patches no ferns.each time i put a very thin layer on,because mine says no bubbles or thick patches(not easy).in the end hb and i gave up so we will dtd tonight incase and im thinking of starting the temp thing.have no idea what to do.is take your temp every morn bfore you get up and b4 eat and drink?anyone help getting desp now

thx ladies anna

Old 02-18-2005, 11:29 AM   #10
    suimont
    (female)

suimont HB User
    Thumbs down Re: Questions about ovulation scopes....

by the way mine is a calista make.from uk superdrug arond 30.00.

good luck all anna

Old 02-18-2005, 12:59 PM   #11
    sammieP
    Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User

I just lick mine, which is what it tells you to do, maybe im not putting on enough. Going to do some research now on the web to see if there is any more in depth info on it. Will let you girls know

Old 02-18-2005, 02:29 PM   #12
    bronicagirl
    Veteran
    (female)

bronicagirl HB User

right heres some answers:

ferning all the time:

A small percentage of women produce a high amount of estrogen all month long. One reason could be that you might not be producing enough progesterone.

ferning at other times besides ovulation time:

Some women will, on occasion, see ferns at other times of the month. This is primarily due to a second estrogen surge near the end of your cycle. This is also why you calculate the expected time of ovulation, and look for the ferning patterns then.

because women produce oestrogen in different amounts, each woman will have different ferning patterns.

lense should not be drenched in saliva, dont over do it, and no air bubbles. testing should be done in morning.

Old 02-18-2005, 07:12 PM   #13
    laurabelle1317
    Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User

Thanks bronicagirl for the info! Now, about the producing a lot of estrogen - what about ferning that occurs well before ovulation? This is before a women is even suppose to be producing the progesterone, so it would have nothing to do with not producing enough progesterone.

I do think I am putting too much saliva on my scope maybe.

~L~

Closed Thread