It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board

Online fertility calculators, accurate or not?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-22-2005, 04:41 PM   #1
coldrain
(female)

coldrain HB User
Lightbulb Online fertility calculators, accurate or not?

I just started TTC last month and never charted before, so for now I use online ovulation calculators to determine fertile days. They claim to be fairly accurate but mention that you have to have "regular" periods. What exactly is regular period? I have them monthly but cycle length varies from 25 to 29 day. Is it regular?

Last edited by coldrain; 12-22-2005 at 05:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2005, 05:43 PM   #2
Heyknack
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heyknack HB User
Re: Online fertility calculators, accurate or not?

When I first started charting my temps and CM, I too began with an online calculator, but also was doing it manually myself (but still on the computer, but it's just like on paper). I personally do not like the online calculators or any program that figures your "fertile" days for you. If you have any slightly off reading, it messes up the whole month and your most fertile day may not appear correct. Or like you mentioned, irregular periods really screw it up and most programs just can't handle it (hey, it's irregular, and a computer tries to make it regular)! My periods are usually 32-34 days, but sometimes longer, and I find I just can't use these calculators and end up second-guessing them anyway. But I think if you want you should give it a try, you won't know otherwise!

Old 12-23-2005, 10:52 AM   #3
greenjppixie
(female)

greenjppixie HB User
Re: Online fertility calculators, accurate or not?

I agree with Heyknack. They work OK. You are better off checking your own body signs and comparing it with your own chart. A computer program is just that. It's programmed to calculate based on whatever info you give it and nothing else. There's noway it can be 100% correct all of the time.

Closed Thread