It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board

• Trying to conceive with PCOS - I need to hear some happy endings!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2006, 06:24 AM   #1
    ChickadeeFromOz
    (female)

ChickadeeFromOz HB User
    Smile Trying to conceive with PCOS - I need to hear some happy endings!

Hi everyone!

I've left a couple of messages on this board asking for information about getting pregnant even with PCOS as I have just been diagnosed a few weeks ago, after almost 8 months of trying to conceive.

Every internet site I go on about PCOS says that it can cause infertillity, and since my husband and I have been trying to conceive for so long, I felt like I would never be able to have kids.

It's so nice to read positive messages. It gives me hope.

My doctor told me to lose weight and everything would return to normal, but I have heard that it's not true, and I should be going on medication. I've decided to give the weight loss a try, and see if anything changes. If nothing gets better within a month or two, I will go with option number two (the drugs).

I started the weight watchers diet 2 and a half weeks ago, aswell as using my stepper or walking every day, and so far, I have lost 2kg!

I've still got a long way to go (I have to lose another 13kg at least), but at least it's a start!

I'll no doubt be back here almost every day just to feel I'm not alone, and to keep reminding myself that people have had positive outcomes, so if anyone has overcome infertillity, or gotten over PCOS altogether, it would be great to read a message from you!

Thanks again guys, just knowing you're there is making this awful time in my life a lot more manageable.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2006, 07:03 AM   #2
    renee05
    (female)

renee05 HB User
    Re: Trying to conceive with PCOS - I need to hear some happy endings!

Hello. I have PCOS and I am currently 16 weeks pregnant. I am not overweight so my doctor started me on metformin, when that alone didn't work, she started me on clomid along with the metformin, and it worked the second month. Hang in there...I'll send baby dust your way.

Old 04-02-2006, 07:39 AM   #3
    bronicagirl
    Veteran
    (female)

bronicagirl HB User
    Re: Trying to conceive with PCOS - I need to hear some happy endings!

Hi,
    I have pcos. I wasnt ovulating due to the pcos and coming off depo and my drs were being useless at giving me any help. So i started taking vitex. This got me ovulating again and pregnant by 9 months later, before i even had a period. though i miscarried
    I took the vitex for almost 2 years, and my cycles gradually got better and better with my ovulation day moving bit by bit from cd 29 to cd 14-17

I got pregnant 4 times and m/c all before 6w3d.
    I finally won my battle with the dr to be put on metformin, and i ovulated 17 days after i started my miscarriage which was in december. I went onto the metformin just after the m/c. So i wasnt expecting much luck but i got pregnant again so soon after the m/c. I am now 13 weeks and 3 days today, so into my 2nd trimester already!
    Ive had 2 ultrasounds, and seen baby doing well, good heartbeat, moving around etc.
    So it can work out just fine with pcos, but im certain it was the metformin that made all the difference for 5th time lucky in my case.
    Without the metformin and having the pcos my miscarriage rate was 50-60%, with the metformin it dropped to 9-11%

Goodluck. I truely believe in posative thinking. It worked for me, and as i say miracles do come true, so dont ever give up hope.

Last edited by bronicagirl; 04-02-2006 at 07:40 AM.

Old 04-06-2006, 02:07 AM   #4
    SangReal
    (female)

SangReal HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Trying to conceive with PCOS - I need to hear some happy endings!

Having PCOS, you are probably insulin resistant. Has your dr. done a fasting glucose and insulin? If he/she has, are you insulin resistant?

The reason I ask is that women who are insulin resistant and aren't on meds generally do best losing weight with a low-carb type diet, since it lowers their blood sugar and thus their insulin levels, and then they find they can ovulate. I have PCOS, and I wasted my $$ on Weight Watchers. I lost a few pounds at first, as anyone will, but after say Week 5 I didn't lose anything. I stuck with it for 12 weeks and then gave up. That was before I realized I have PCOS. Now I am low-carbing and having more success.

As for not being on meds, I think trying it on your own for a while is not so smart. If you're not ovulating, you can't get pg. You probably won't ovulate regularly until your blood sugar and insulin are normalized - and if you do ovulate, your eggs might be immature. Weight loss is a kind of long distance way to go about lowering your blood sugar - it takes a long time and still won't happen if you're eating a lot of sugar, pasta, or other refined carbs - which I know are allowed on Weight Watchers.

With PCOS, treatment with meds is important until you get the weight off even if you're NOT TTC - usually with BCP if you're not TTC and metformin (to regulate blood glucose and insulin) and possibly Clomid (to make you ovulate) if you ARE TTC - to reduce your risk of endometrial cancer.

As for women with PCOS getting pregnant, I know plenty of women who have gotten pregnant with PCOS. Most of them, however, were charting their fertility. If you'd like to pursue this option, there are a lot of free ovulation charting sites on the internet. If you Google ovulation chart for free, you'll get a good selection of sites that offer a charting service for free. You just take your temperature every morning, enter the data, and it tells you when you ovulate. Of course, by the time it tells you you have ovulated, it's too late, but it will help you to learn your body and figure out if and when you're ovulating.

Remember, no ovulation = no pregnancy. You can't fertilize an egg if it's not there.

Hope that I have given you some things to think about. The most important thing for you to know is that your diagnosis does NOT mean you won't become pregnant - although it probably does mean that you'll have trouble without meds, as you already have.

Good luck on your journey!

Closed Thread