It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board

• Provera...help me understand...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-26-2006, 11:28 PM   #1
    ASDGRMama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ASDGRMama HB User
    Provera...help me understand...

I just went off BC after 6 months of use (had recurrent m/cs and constant bleeding/cramping among other things).

I'm on cd 25 and started bleeding again about a week ago (just spotting but on and off flowing). My dr wants me to try Provera for 10days. What is the purpose of this? I only talked with the nurse and she said it should help get things regulated but when I asked her if it was a permanent solution or just for this cycle she said just for this cycle .

We want to ttc within the next year but I wasn't expecting to be able to right away since my cycles are still "off".

I really don't know what to do since I don't understand why my dr is prescribing this. I hate to take something for a problem that hasn't been investigated (I've had testing done but he's never checked my hormone levels). I do have thyroid disease but it's "controlled" at this point (according to my endo).

The nurse said this would help me build up a thick lining and when I stop the Provera I'll bleed heavily so that it'll all shed at once rather than continually shedding throughout my cycle. This seems like such a short term solution....if I'm facing premature ovarian failure (which is a possibility) then I'm not sure I want to ttc again (risk of m/c is too high....not sure I can do that again emotionally...just so hard; I've had 7). Not to mention I already have very very heavy periods...I'm concerned about bleeding badly (I had two uterine hemorrhages last year).

My dr said that my cycles would most likely gradually lighten up and shorten on the BC but they didn't...they were just as heavy as ever and lasted 9 days.

If anyone could help me understand what it is Provera is supposed to do I'd appreciate it. I just got off of hormones...I wasn't expecting to go on more! Not to mention the side-effects of Provera aren't very appealing!

Thanks for any thoughts on this!!

Kelly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread