It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board

• Help!!! Tubal Patency Test (Hysterosalpingogram)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-21-2006, 01:57 PM   #1
    laina
    (female)

laina HB User
    Help!!! Tubal Patency Test (Hysterosalpingogram)

Hi ladies,

I went to my ob/gyn today for my a chat about fertility. DH and I have been ttc for a year now. I had a chemical pregnancy about 2 months ago, but no luck before or after this. Anyway, my dr is sending me for a Hysterosalpingogram (tubal patency test) on Monday. Has anyone here ever had on of these done? How much pain/discomfort should I expect? How long does this test generally take? Also, is it ok to keep ttc this month, even after the test? Thanks for any info.

Last edited by laina; 09-21-2006 at 02:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2006, 03:33 PM   #2
    GoldenMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GoldenMom HB User
    Re: Help!!! Tubal Patency Test (Hysterosalpingogram)

I had an HSG last week and was extremely nervous about it. The entire procedure took about 15 minutes. When I made the appointment they instructed me to take 400-600 milligrams of Advil or iburpofen an hour before the appointment. I did that and did not feel any discomfort whatsoever.

I was warned that I may feel bad cramping during the procedure or that I might have spotting afterwards - I didn't have either. If you have a tubal blockage, there might be a small amount of discomfort, according to my friends.

Some doctors allow you to try during the month you have the HSG. Others will recommend that you do not. Many women do get pregnant during the cycle that they have the HSG because they may have had a tiny blockage that the HSG dye and cathater dislodges. I was told that it is okay to try to conceive after the procedure.

It really, truly was not a bad procedure. I worried so much about nothing.

Wishing you the best!

Last edited by GoldenMom; 09-21-2006 at 03:34 PM.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:35 PM   #3
    beckoraizel
    (female)

beckoraizel HB User

I had an HSG a couple months ago. It should be done before you ovulate so you can still TTC the same month. In fact it is said that there is a better chance of getting pregnant the 3 months after your HSG because your tubes are completely flushed out. (I am also dealing with MF so I'm not surprised I'm still not pregnant....) The test goes very quickly and you see the results immediately. I had a fair amount of cramping, so I recommed taking some pain reliever before hand... Kind of like bad menstral cramps... However it didn't last long... Good luck!

Old 09-22-2006, 05:06 AM   #4
    laina
    (female)

laina HB User

Hi ladies,

Thanks for the info. I'm having this done on Monday, and I'll be on cd 12 that day, that's why I wanted to know if it was still ok to ttc. Thanks for all the help, I'll let you all know how it goes. Baby dust to all .

Old 09-24-2006, 03:56 PM   #5
    nmbriere
    (female)

nmbriere HB User

I don't know if you will get this befor your test but I used to work in a radiology dept and assisted the dr, generally your OBGYN. Everything the other girls said is very true. Take some sort of pain reliever befor and you will be fine. Every woman is different so the amount of pain is also, I think your pain tolarance has alot to do with it. The cramping at the end is the most painful time but it only lasts about a minute and then subsides. If you do have tubal blockage it also might hurt worse but could open up your tubes!! So the pain is worth it! I know alot of women who get pregnant right after this test. Good luck tomarrow.

Closed Thread