It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board

head cold?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-23-2008, 08:14 AM   #1
cookiemunster65
Veteran
(female)

cookiemunster65 HB User
head cold?

what type of over the counter medication's can i take for a head cold? i typically use nasonex and tylonel cold and sinus.

i just don't want anything messing with my cm or chances of falling pregnant this month, even though i'm not due to ovulate for another week. do you think i'm safe in taking whatever? or will it stay in my system long enough to possibly hinder a successful cycle?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2008, 10:09 AM   #2
thaele
Inactive
(female)

thaele HB User
Re: head cold?

I've been checking into that robitussin theory.. and based on what I've read I wouldn't feel 100% sure about taking tylenol cold and sinus. I would take regular tylenol but something about cold and sinus that just makes me want to stay clear lol. I use nasonex also, my pharmacist told me it was safe.. but.. now I'm wondering if maybe that can cause CM to dry up? Do you know anything about that cookie? hrmmm...

I try not to take very much at all. Tylenol very rarely works for me, I've built up a strong immunity to it unfortunately but I know that advil is not safe. Also, I take nasonex.. should be twice daily.. but I've cut back to when I'm very stuffed up and can't breathe (which is all too often).. I also take eye drops, these I use almost on a daily basis as I get hives in my eyes otherwise. And I also have a corisone type cream. Now you have me wondering if I'm drying out my CM.

I should research!!!! Let me know what you find out about the stuff you're taking

Old 10-23-2008, 10:30 AM   #3
cookiemunster65
Veteran
(female)

cookiemunster65 HB User

thaele... i haven't taken anything yet. this is the "day before a head cold" feeling. ICK. all i can really find is an article that said something about allery medications are debatable and can potentially be harmful (based on other factors a laundry list of things.) they then said the whole tylenol, not ibuprofen thing, said nothing about advil actually.

the robatussin theory, i mentioned months ago, is supposed to loosen and thin the cm, making it easier for sperm to pass through. (if you use robatussin with any letters after it, it will dry it up completely.) your supposed to take (3) 2 teaspoon doses a day, for 6 days, the last day should be the day you ovulate. robatussin is especially good if you are on clomid, because clomid can cause a "harsher" cm, the robatussin is more "cm friendly" and will assist it.

pure pomegranate juice is supposed to do the same, however i cannot find any dosages so, i would assume an 8oz glass a day for the same 5 days since it does the same thing.

i haven't really found anything else. if you stumble across anything, let me know

Last edited by cookiemunster65; 10-23-2008 at 10:31 AM.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
thaele
Inactive
(female)

thaele HB User

Heya..

Ibuprophen and advil have the same active ingerdients.. essentially they are the same. I'm pretty sure at least.

I got some stuff but it's not robitussin.. when I'd check the active ingredients, all the robitussin ones had that other ingredient that's bad for it. So, I got a different kind, has the guaif... (can't remember the technical term), this was actually the only one on the shelves with the ingredient they say is required. It also said though that menthol is an active ingredient.. I'm not sure if this is bad? I haven't taken it yet and am trying to find out more.

I know that the one that starts with D will dry up CM.

I think you should drink lots of OJ!!! I drank it like crazy last week and haven't gotten sick with FH catching something and he had no OJ. So, maybe it's just me but I think that's why I didn't get sick. he's feverish and yucky.. and if I were to get it I'd have it by now I'm pretty sure.

Pure pomegranate juice doesn't sound very appetizing. I don't think I've ever tried it.

I tried to look up nasonex before with all this but had so much difficulty finding any info. I'll keep looking and let you know if I find anything new.

Thanks for the info btw!

Old 10-23-2008, 11:23 AM   #5
cookiemunster65
Veteran
(female)

cookiemunster65 HB User

your right. robatussin DM will dry up your cm. regular robatussin with guaifenesin as the active ingredient is good for your cm. i don't think menthal is a harmful ingredient though, so that should be fine. (but who knows.)

surprisingliy, i like pomegranate juice. i found some (here in PA) that was mixed with pear juice, and it was really good. pure pomegranate isn't bad, its just not an "every day" drink, at least i think so anyway.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
thaele
Inactive
(female)

thaele HB User

Found this about Nasonex. I don't think I'll be using mine for the next year or more now..

"FDA pregnancy category C. This medication may be harmful to an unborn baby"..

Good to know huh? And I even spoke to a pharmacist about it. I guess to his benefit he doesn't know EVERYTHING.. but, it's a very commonly prescribed spray.. I figured he would know.

Here's more from the same place.. regarding a study done. From what I'm reading, don't know why I couldn't find this before.. all the stuff I'm taking for my allergies are a potential risk. What do I do instead???

Here's the exerpt, it's about nasonex:

"Pregnancy—In one human study, use of beclomethasone oral inhalation by pregnant women did not cause birth defects or other problems. Other studies on birth defects with beclomethasone, budesonide, dexamethasone, flunisolide, fluticasone, mometasone or triamcinolone have not been done in humans.

In animal studies, corticosteroids taken by mouth or injection during pregnancy were shown to cause birth defects. Also, too much use of corticosteroids during pregnancy, especially during the first trimester, may cause other unwanted effects in the infant, such as slower growth and reduced adrenal gland function.

If corticosteroids are medically necessary during pregnancy to control nasal problems, nasal corticosteroids are generally considered safer than corticosteroids taken by mouth or injection. Also, use of nasal corticosteroids may allow some patients to stop using or decrease the amount of corticosteroids taken by mouth or injection."

Last edited by thaele; 10-23-2008 at 11:44 AM. Reason: more info on nasonex

Old 10-23-2008, 11:42 AM   #7
cookiemunster65
Veteran
(female)

cookiemunster65 HB User

WOW. thanks. i was ready to go home and use mine.. but at least now we know. its amazing to think though. how many american women do you think are doing ALL the wrong things, smoking/drugs/medications... and still wind up pregnant?

and here we are doing everything humanly and physically possible, to no avail.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:50 AM   #8
thaele
Inactive
(female)

thaele HB User

I know. It boggles my mind. I have yet to check out the cream I use but it's a cortisone cream so my guess is to safely assume it's bad too. What do I do?? There's no sense in going to the clinic, I went just yesterday and am totally not impressed to say the least! I guess I have to suffer. I'm going to be an itchy blow fish before I can even get a bfp. I won't even be able to see it if it is a bfp anyway! UGH

Old 10-27-2008, 07:54 AM   #9
cookiemunster65
Veteran
(female)

cookiemunster65 HB User

ugh thaele.. this has been the longest cold of my life, with taking NOTHING. i've been running my vaporizer in my room at night so i can even breathe.

i also went to a babyshower over this weekend.. BAD IDEA. that didn't help me one bit, but at least DH is gung-ho about trying this month! he said to me friday night "why wait for another week, lets start trying now!" his sexdrive is through the roof, and i'm NOT complaining! i hope we get some good results after all the "hard" work we're doing

Old 10-27-2008, 09:23 AM   #10
thaele
Inactive
(female)

thaele HB User

LOL, well, I wouldn't complain either hehe.

I'm wondering if it'd be safe for you to use a cough syrup? Because, apparently, a lot of women use that to thin out CM right? So long as it's just the guifasen or whatchyamacallit that's in it.. then I think you should be ok with this?? Look into that. Might be helpful especially if you're all congested and stuffy.

I'm going to start using it soon, I have some cough syrup but was hesitant on using it. If so many women use it to help get pg I don't see how it could be bad. I'm sure every med out there can have some possible effect that hasn't been studied yet so I'm taking everything I read with a grain of salt.. but also, feel fairly confident if so many women have used it for the exact reason to get pg, then I don't think it's a big risk at all.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:28 AM   #11
cookiemunster65
Veteran
(female)

cookiemunster65 HB User

your right. i could use that. i just figured since i'm going to be taking it all of next week (for ttc purposes) i didn't know if that would be like OD'ing on robatussin?? so i'm just holding out, drinking orange juice. its about all i'm willing to do at this point.

i'm "estimated" to ovulate on 11/03, so i believe the instructions for the robatussin experiement was to do it 6 days prior to ovulation, the 6th day, being O day. so i'll probably start thursday of this week, and continue to 11/06 to make sure i have my bases covered. does that sound right? does that make sense to you? (just need someone elses opinion to see if i'm spelling it out right to myself.)

Last edited by cookiemunster65; 10-27-2008 at 09:29 AM. Reason: change dates

Old 10-27-2008, 09:48 AM   #12
thaele
Inactive
(female)

thaele HB User

That sounds fine to me. Also just to let you know that it will only thin out CM not create some.. so if you're not in your O time, it won't progress or bring on O. So, if you need to take it now.. I don't see how it would affect your cycle. You may get a bit extra CM now but I don't think it will affect you're actual cycle just from my own understanding of it all..

Old 10-27-2008, 10:28 AM   #13
cookiemunster65
Veteran
(female)

cookiemunster65 HB User

agreed. i know that it won't hurt to do it now, i just get very weirded out about stuff like that, like how cough drops and even tums say not to take the regular doseages for over 10 days, and to consult a doctor if symptoms continue. do you understand what i'm saying now? its just one of my quirks, i follow directions to the T and will not take anything longer then the recommended time.. thats just me being meticulous

Last edited by Mod08; 10-27-2008 at 07:30 PM.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:13 AM   #14
thaele
Inactive
(female)

thaele HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemunster65 View Post
That sounds fine to me. Also just to let you know that it will only thin out CM not create some.. so if you're not in your O time, it won't progress or bring on O. So, if you need to take it now.. I don't see how it would affect your cycle. You may get a bit extra CM now but I don't think it will affect you're actual cycle just from my own understanding of it all..

agreed. i know that it won't hurt to do it now, i just get very weirded out about stuff like that, like how cough drops and even tums say not to take the regular doseages for over 10 days, and to consult a doctor if symptoms continue. do you understand what i'm saying now? its just one of my quirks, i follow directions to the T and will not take anything longer then the recommended time.. thats just me being meticulous
Yep I kapeesh. And it makes sense also. My eye drops say to use only once a day and not to exceed 5 days. I always used to because of how bad my eyes were. Seriously, I'm shocked I can still see after how bad my eyes have reacted.. so I bought another non-prescription type that is safe to use daily and mroe then once a day. Now, I am mixing eye drops but it says not within 2 hours of each other so I'm safe. I take the non script ones during the day and my script ones at night because that's when I need it the most. If I don't sleep, I'm cranky.

ps: I've stopped using any sort of drugs since finding out that info about them all.. too scared to bother. Cold cloths all the way!! It's a minor relief lol.

Hopefully you can make it through the sickiness without drugs! I know tylenol is safest for pregnancy so if you have a headache or anything that requires drugs, use some tylenol. I know it can bring down fevers too.. Just an idea.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:19 AM   #15
cookiemunster65
Veteran
(female)

cookiemunster65 HB User

thanks.. its good information to know!

Closed Thread