It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board

NEW Here..few questions about TTC

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
Triquetra331
(female)

Triquetra331 HB User
Question NEW Here..few questions about TTC

Hi all...I'm new here...my partner and I have been ttc for a few months now, but have been together and sexually active (with each other exclusively) for approx 4 1/2 years...my partner finds it strange that in all that time, most of which unprotected, that we never got pregnant. He thinks that one or both of us may have an infertility issue. His sister hasn't been able to conceive after years of trying - he believes it may be a hereditary thing...I keep telling him that the male and femle reproductive systems and hormones are so different that just b/c his sis has fertility issues it doesnt mean HE does..anyway...I myself have 10-yr-old from a previous relationship...so I know I was 'fertile' once...
So, I have a few questions but I'll tell u about us first for info sake...I'm *almost* 30 (yuk) like I said with a 10yo...my partner is 28 - with no kids... here are my questions:

I've always heard that if you have sex everyday or almost everyday it can DECREASE your chances of getting pregnant because you are lowering sperm count and not giving the male's body enough time to create enough new viable sperm...is this true?

I've been using those ovulation kits for approx 2 months and, according to those tests, I have not ovulated. I've followed the instructions to a 't'...at first I got only one line...the control line...then a day or 2 later, I got a faint line..then for about 8 - 10 days I got consistent 2nd lines everyday, but not one darker, or close to, the control line. Then I had one line that was pretty close to the control line but not totally darker. Then the lines got consistently lighter after that, till yesterday and today...no lines t all but the control (also...my periods since I had my son 10 years ago have never been regular...ranging in length from 30 to 60 days apart) So my question is this...am I not ovulating at all? Or, if the second line actually DOES appear, lighter or not, does that mean I am ABOUT to or GOING to ovulate? And, could the line that was PRETTY CLOSE to the control line actually have meant that I WAS ovulating? Those tests are so damn confusing!!!

Okay, third question...Has anyone tried the FERTELL male/female home fertility monitor/tester? (Or any type of male/female home fertility monitor/tester?) If so, are they worth the $100 price tag?

And now...THE LAST QUESTION! Is there anywhere on the board that has a list deciphering all the different abbreviations used on the board...I figured out TTC (TRYING TO CONCEIVE) and one or two others but I'm stumped on the rest...so, if there is such a list please let me know. (or if someone could just tell me the most common ones and their meaning it would be much appreciated.

Thank you all so much for reading this extremely long and rambling post...Good Luck to all...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
littlebo
(female)

littlebo HB User
Re: NEW Here..few questions about TTC

Hey & Welcome! I thought I'd try to answer or at least share information I've learned in my quest with my DH as we've been TTC for 1 & 1/2 years.

To your 1st question, my OB/GYN office recommeded to me to have BMS every other day during most fertile period as it is best to let DH sperm count replinsh itself.

2nd, the OPKs aren't 100% accurate from what I've heard. I've used them as well. When we did a trial of Clomid (which stimulates your ovaries to ovulate) the doctor had me go to the lab on CD 21 for a progesterone level. It will rise following ovulation which doctor said showed I was o'ing. There are physical signs to look for, also. Your cervical mucus will get heavier and thicker.

3rd, I've not tried that expensive monitor, so I can't help answer that one.

4th, there is an abbrev. list you can access from the threads....it is the 5th one down from the top. I printed it off when I first started coming here to help me interrupt the other posts! (My DH laughs when I tell him its time to BD).

Something I never knew about this TTC journey, most couples only have ~ 30% chance of conceiving every month. So many things have to be just right for conception to take place. This fact is not so comforting when everytime you turn around it seems someone you know is pg without hardly trying!

I wish you lots of baby dust! Don't hesitate to go ahead and let your OB/GYN know what's going on. Some doctors won't start doing testing or offer fertility meds til you've been trying 6-12 months (depending on your age, also).

Old 12-11-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
Blastoff9600
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

Throw away the OPKs they dont work for every woman. Im one of those women. Best thing to do is to chart your cycles. Also get a copy of the book Taking Charge Of Your Fertility. Great book that will give you tons of great info.
The sex every day thing effecting sperm count can be true if there are already sperm count issues. If there arent any issues then sex every day isnt going to harm anything. My first DS was the result of a marathon week and half of sex(I would claim we were newlyweds but it was several months after our wedding).
Anyway Dont waste you rmoney just yet on the monitors just yet. Try the charting first.
Make sure you both are healthy,eating right,cut out smoking,get rid of the tight underwear and pants for him,no more hot tubs or spas for him.
I cant stress enough to read the book I mentioned. You dont even have to buy it since your local library will have it available.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 12-18-2008, 10:28 PM   #4
ellekay
Veteran
(female)

ellekay HB User

Go to your doctor and tell him that you would like a blood test to check whether or not you are ovulating.

This test is done on the 23rd day of your cylce ( i think ) and its a hormonal test that indicates whether your ovulating or not. So that would be handy.

You could have a cyst sitting on your ovaries also. Some cysts do not cause you any pain as some may be too small, but can get in the way of conceiving and can be there for yrs and yrs. So if i were you, i would get an ultrasound done, that should tell you if you have one or not, or perhaps you may need a transvaginal ultrasound. Its all depends.

Also to clear the air, get your partner to also get a fertilty test done. There's no point in wasting time with home kits and all that stuff. If your serious about having a baby, then the both of you need to be pro active and get checked out.
It could simply be nothing. Maybe its not your time just yet. My mother took 4 yrs to have kids and then she had 8. My grandmother took 13 yrs!!! and then she had 9!!!

So everyone is different and every pregnancy is different.

Goodluck and all the best. Keep us posted!

Closed Thread