It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board

• Uncomfortable bladder

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-16-2016, 08:25 AM   #1
    KerryW
    (female)

KerryW HB User
    Uncomfortable bladder

Hi,

I have had spells of an uncomfortable bladder and frequent urinating for about 3 years. The spells seem to last up to 2 weeks at their worst but the symptons never seem to disappear fully.

I have been to the doctors various times over the years and each time receiving a negative result for infection. I was first told that stress could cause me to believe the pain was there when in fact I was fine and it was psychological. Then was prescribed tablets a few months later which didn't help at all. I have been for an ultrasound which has come back clear and went again to the doctors last week and was told that it could be similar to IBS where something occurs my bladder to flare up. I was advised to write down what I eat - I argued that this could take 12-18 months to figure out what I was eating to cause and I could easily misdiagnose myself with thinking something that I was eating was the cause when it was infact something else. I wasn't given any support or advice on how to even start ruling out certain food types so I feel a bit lost on how to start this.

My symptons include: uncomfortable bladder (during my worst times this is 24 hours a day and I can barely sleep), going to the toilet around 3 -4 times in the night to urinate, no pain or stinging sensation when I go toilet, I don't feel like I urgently need to go to the toilet and I know that I could hold my urine if I need to.

I am a 25 year old female, I have history of an eating disorder and am currently on antidepressants but these symptoms started around 5 months before my eating disorder did. I haven't had any issues with my eating disorder for about 6 months now and I work full time, have a partner and I have a happy relationship at home so I am under no stress.

The only way I can describe the feeling is like having a water balloon sitting on my bladder than I want to pop - no matter how many times I go toilet the uncomfortable sensation doesn't go away. It seems to be spells of 5-6 weeks slowly building up where I can notice it slowly getting worse, 2 weeks of very frustrating lack of sleep and struggling to get comfortable just sitting down at work/home, and then it begins to ease off again but doesn't ever vanish completely.

I have tried drinking cranberry juice on a regular basis to try and flush my system but it made no difference.

Desperately want some help and advice on how to cope with this as my doctors don't seem to be concerned or able to offer any support.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2016, 09:26 PM   #2
    Cheryl33
    Inactive
    (female)

Cheryl33 HB User
    Re: Uncomfortable bladder

Do you have any pelvic pain with this whatsoever?

Old 02-17-2016, 02:07 AM   #3
    KerryW
    (female)

KerryW HB User

Hiya, no pelvic pain. It is just an a heavy uncomfortable feeling in the bladder area that just lingers for weeks at a time, getting worse to a point where its 24 hours a day constant - its more like toothache/earache where it's not necessarily painful its just irritating.

I started taking painkillers throughout the day to try and take the edge off it which helped a little but didn't stop the sensation

Old 02-17-2016, 08:35 PM   #4
    Cheryl33
    Inactive
    (female)

Cheryl33 HB User

I just posted to another person who had bladder question about something I have called pelvic floor dysfunction. But it started out with peeing a lot, uncomfortable sensation. Thought maybe it was foods or something I was drinking that was causing irritation. Then I ruled out for interstitial cystitis and diagnosed with this. But over time it became really painful especially with stress. No kids so nothing to do with prolapse. Just tightening pelvic muscles which made it worse after bad surgery. Just keep digging and searching.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:09 AM   #5
    KerryW
    (female)

KerryW HB User

Thanks for your help, I will look into that to see if that sounds like my symptoms. It's so frustrating not being diagnosed with anything as it makes it impossible as to how and try and cope with it.

Doctors don't seem to be concerned but at the same time don't seem remotely interested.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:45 AM   #6
    Cheryl33
    Inactive
    (female)

Cheryl33 HB User

I know how frustrating it is. It took a long time for me to be diagnosed. I had to keep pushing, making appts. I hope you find your answer to whatever it is as soon as possible. Good luck.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:34 AM   #7
    susie1961
    (female)

susie1961 HB User

I had a similar problem years ago. I was put on overactive bladder meds and changed my diet, but nothing helped. After dealing with this for a year I finally went in and asked to be checked for every STD that existed because I didn't know what else to do! Through this testing they found some kind of vaginal infection. It wasn't an STD, but they would never have found the infection if I hadn't begged for the tests. I took the medication for that and was instantly better! I know what it is like to feel that your life revolves around your bladder. It is horrible! Go with what your gut tells you and don't let them brush you off. I went to several doctors and had lots of tests and finally took the control into my own hands and got better. Good luck!

Old 02-20-2016, 09:03 AM   #8
    KerryW
    (female)

KerryW HB User

Many thanks for that advice, I will get booked in this week or next week at the clinic to have a full screening test to rule that out. I have had a full screening about a year ago but I will go again and ask them for their advice . It is very frustrating! It disrupts your whole life when it's at its worst, just wish I knew how to manage it. Thanks again both of you for your help

Old 04-04-2017, 10:22 PM   #9
    kristinstylist
    (female)

kristinstylist HB User

Any update on your condition? I'm dealing with an uncomfortable bladder also and am at a loss.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:51 AM   #10
    KerryW
    (female)

KerryW HB User

Hello,

Really bizarre that you have posted on here this morning as Monday/Tuesday this week I felt a little odd (slight swelling/mild discomfort when needing to urinate and more frequent) and then last night I was back to all of my symptoms of uncomfortableness throughout the night and the constant feeling of a sore bladder.

My last bad spell was December 2016 and I have had no symptoms at all in 2017 until this week. I went to the hospital in June last year and was put on a waiting list for a Cystometry procedure and I called in December and was told I was looking at mid-February but haven't yet heard anything.

The only thing that I noticed in late 2016 that possibly linked two bad spells was the fact that I had apple juice before both flare ups - that was the only thing that I could think of that I had eaten/drunk differently. I haven't had apple juice at all this year just in case that was part of the reason but this flare up isn't related to that at all. I also changed my contraceptive pill around Christmas time to see if that would make any difference and for the first few months it seemed fine until last night.

I have pretty much given up with going to the doctors as they are very uninterested and go from telling me its psychological to then advising that I keep a food diary with no advice and considering my history of an eating disorder that wasn't something I was comfortable with doing without proper support.

I am going on Holiday in 3 weeks and am already dreading the sleepless nights whilst I am away

What are your symptoms? What have you been advised to try so far?

Old 04-05-2017, 01:00 PM   #11
    kristinstylist
    (female)

kristinstylist HB User

Thank you for the reply! I'm so sorry that all your symptoms have returned. It is such a miserable feeling. Especially when you aren't taken seriously by doctors and are given no real answers!
    My story is long and complicated lol, but I'll try to summarize. I'm a 27 year old female, and my symptoms started mid January when I was 16 weeks pregnant. I woke up one day and swore that I had a UTI, but the test was negative. My main symptom is a full bladder feeling. It almost always feels like I need to pee! I would definitely say my bladder is uncomfortable and feels like it's under pressure. I also had/have some lower abdominal pain, but I'm not sure that it's my bladder. It's possible that it's pregnancy related...I have nothing to compare it too because this will be my first child. There are days when my bladder feels much worse than others. The weirdest thing is that I don't normally have any issues when I'm lying down. Up until a couple weeks ago I was sleeping through the night because my urge to pee seems to disappear when I'm lying in bed at night! Most any time I'm standing or walking around though I'm completely miserable. Kind of feels like my bladder could just fall out and roll across the room... It's such a difficult feeling to describe! Anyway, I know that since I'm pregnant my problem may be different than yours, but it does help knowing I'm not alone in this discomfort. My OB was very unhelpful and kept blowing me off. She sent me to an equally unhelpful urologist who also blew me off. They most either of them suggested was possible interstitial cystitis, and they advised I try a "low acid" diet, and also the food diary thing. I did try the diet for 3 weeks, and it made no difference. I've never noticed that eating or drinking anything specific makes my symptoms worse....I just seem to have better or worse days at random. They both said that it started too early in my pregnancy for the problem to be caused by the baby sitting on my bladder because he was still too small. After a few weeks I started having some back pain on my right side, and I still wasn't being taken seriously by my doctor. I ended up seeing a different OB who sent me to a competent urologist, and he ordered a renal ultrasound. It showed significant hydronephrosis of my right kidney. So there's a blockage somewhere in my ureter preventing my kidney from draining properly. Since I'm still pregnant I'm unable to have a CT or X-ray or anything like that done to determine the cause of the blockage. But I'm basically still at square one. They know I have a problem with my urinary tract, but aren't positive what it is, and also aren't positive that it's related to my bladder discomfort or if it's just a coincidence. And they don't know if any of it is related to the pregnancy! Like I said, I know my situation is a little different from yours. But I truly understand how uncomfortable you are and I hope you can find some answers!
    Have you ever had a renal ultrasound done or your kidney function checked? I hope they get you in for the cystometry soon...that's very frustrating. It is to check the bladder function, correct?

Old 04-06-2017, 02:30 AM   #12
    KerryW
    (female)

KerryW HB User

It really is miserable isn't it, especially when you don't feel supported by Doctors who couldn't look more uninterested at times! On one appointment they just scanned through a medical book for around 10 minutes and just seemed to pick some random medication to see if it would help but didn't seem confident that it would make any difference.

I can definitely sympathise with the full bladder and uncomfortable feeling, mine almost feels like I have a full water balloon sitting there and no matter how many times I go to the toilet the uncomfortable feeling doesn't seem to ease. Mine is definitely worse at night but some of that could be worrying in the evening about lack of sleep which probably doesn't help! I have tried hot water bottles and pain killers to try and take the edge off but it doesn't seem to make a difference when I am really struggling. I purchased a V Pilllow which helped me get a little bit more comfortable and propped up so that could be worth a try if you struggle through the night at all.

It sounds like you've had a rough time too being taken seriously by anybody, I really do sympathise with how frustrating it all is when you want is some sort of answer as to what the problem is so you can try and do everything you can to prevent it from being at its worst. I'm guessing as you are pregnant they won't be willing to do many tests at this stage which must be very annoying and not getting any clear answers is so demoralising!

I had an ultrasound done I think early last year (can't remember when exactly) and that came back clear. When I went for a full STI check they felt my stomach and said it was swollen on one side and they advised my doctors who then referred me to an urologist. Unfortunately when I went to see them last June I had no symptoms what so ever so I didn't have swollen stomach or anything which was really frustrating!

I called up the hospital yesterday to see when my appointment would be and they called back with a cancellation for next Thursday which is good, I just hope my symptoms are still there (I'm sure they will as they seem to last a good 6 weeks at a time) so the test may actually flag something.

Do you think you will now have to wait until you have given birth to see if the symptoms continue for the Doctors to hopefully take it more seriously and carry out further tests?

Old 04-06-2017, 06:33 AM   #13
    kristinstylist
    (female)

kristinstylist HB User

You are so right about the doctors, it is a very frustrating situation to be in. And you begin to lose all faith in the medical community!
    My feeling doesn't ease up either no matter how many time I go to the restroom. In fact I thing trying to go more often just irritates everything and makes it worse. Also like you, I don't struggle to hold my urine and don't have any leaks...the feeling is just always there! It doesn't seem to feel any worse when my bladder is actually full either.
    What was your ultrasound that came back clear done on? Your bladder or kidneys or both? I'm so glad to hear that they are getting you in next week for the cystometry. I'm hoping that test will give you the answers you've been waiting so long for and lead to permanent relief!
    Yes, the doctors have said I have to have the baby before they will do any further testing. I'm trying to be hopeful that after I have him the problem will just go away, but it's hard to stay positive about that. I believe the plan right now is to do a CT scan after I've given birth to see if the kidney is still blocked and go from there. I haven't been told how soon after birth this will be done.
    It just plain sucks to be miserable all the time and have no one doing anything about it and no answer or explanation.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:21 AM   #14
    KerryW
    (female)

KerryW HB User

It's horrible because it makes you start to question whether there is actually something wrong that will ever be diagnosed and you end up feeling like a pest for going back countless times. It's almost exhausting having to explain it every time to get a blank look back at you with no sensible or helpful advice!

So annoying when it's at its worst and you just constantly feel full no matter how many times you go toilet, within a few minutes the full and uncomfortable sensation is back! It really does take over your life doesn't it

The ultrasound was I think only done on my bladder but I'm not 100% sure. Nobody has mentioned kidneys before. The first time I went doctors I was told 'it could be all in your head and your imagining it', and then was told 'next time you need to go toilet wait an extra 5 minutes and see if you can hold it in a bit longer each time' and from there on the advice just got worse!

When is the baby due? Hopefully your symptoms will pass after the birth but I think you just need to be so persistent afterwards if they don't go away to try and get them to take you seriously and get some tests done. You don't want these symptoms plus a little new-born to look after as well!

I almost feel like I want there to be something wrong so at least it can be treated or I know what can cause it to flare up, that's got to be better than just not knowing what or why it happens! Hopefully the test does show something because I don't fancy waiting about 10 months or so on another waiting list for more tests.

It really does have such an affect on your life doesn't it, seems unfair that we are suffering with little or no support on how to at least try and cope with it.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:49 PM   #15
    kristinstylist
    (female)

kristinstylist HB User

I know just what you mean. I've had all those thoughts too! Feeling frustrated having to explain your symptoms over and over and getting looked at like you're nuts. I question if I'll ever be diagnosed with anything...and I've actually prayed that there is something wrong just so that they find something on the tests. I kept hoping I would test positive for a UTI or pass a kidney stone or something. Feeling miserable all the time really can turn you into a crazy person!
    Have you tried seeing a different doctor? Or do you have that option? The obstetrician I had been seeing definitely didn't take me seriously and thought it was all in my head. So I switched to a new one and he was much more sympathetic. He at least believes me that there is something wrong, even though he hasn't been able to give much helpful advice it's nice to be taken seriously. I think with a doctor like that I will have a better chance of figuring out what's going on eventually. Maybe you can find a more sympathetic doctor too.
    Are your symptoms pretty bad right now? You mentioned that they come on and get worse day by day and then start to ease off. Mine seems to change from day to day. I can have a day or two where it isn't too bad, then all of a sudden it hits me and I'm so miserable I can't function. I never know how long a flair is going to last either....could be a day, could be a week!
    My baby boy is due July 1st...still seems like a long ways away. I'm very lucky to have a good husband that I know will be lots of help with the baby, but I am really dreading having to care for a newborn feeling as uncomfortable as I do all the time. And I'm scared to try and push a baby out feeling like this! This whole this has really taken the excitement and joy out of my pregnancy
    I honestly hope they find something on your test too. Something that is treatable! You need answers. You have been suffering long enough and don't need to be waiting around forever for more tests. It is really nice to have found someone for support who understands and knows that my discomfort is real and not all in my head!

Reply Reply

Tags
    bladder