It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board

Hematuria in Urine Do I need another Cat Scan?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-19-2017, 09:03 PM   #1
Mary Louise
(female)

Mary Louise HB User
Hematuria in Urine Do I need another Cat Scan?

Quite by accident hematuria was found in my urine Nov 2015 by my Internist. She ordered a Cat Scan and referred me to a Urologist. I had a more extensive Cat Scan Jan 2016 followed up last year with a Cystoscopy, Retrograde Pylogram, Cancer test of my urine and another Cat Scan Nov of 2016. So far they have found no cause. A 11mm cyst on my left kidney that's been unchanged and some inflammation in my bladder.

I just scheduled my 6 mo follow up visit and was told the doctor wanted another Cat Scan. I spoke to my daughter today who's an ICU nurse and expressed concern over all these Cat Scans as they are done w/o contrast, with contrast and a 3rd w/o contrast. To me that seems like 3, which means I've had 7 already in 18 months and am concerned about the risks versus benefits of all the radiation. My mother did die of kidney cancer at age 63 and I'm 66 and had thyroid cancer at 26. My maternal grandmother died of cancer.

Can you have unexplained blood in your urine and never know why or is it always a cause for concern? Of course I'm hypervigilent regarding cancer, but could all this radiation increase my cancer risk? I don't know what to do. I do know a doctor once told me it's never normal to have blood in your urine. Where could it be coming from?

Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2017, 10:05 PM   #2
KrissyKat
(female)

KrissyKat HB User
Re: Hematuria in Urine Do I need another Cat Scan?

Unexplained bleeding is always a worry. Perhaps schedule a visit with a different urologist if you are not confident in this one. It cannot hurt to get a second opinion.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:54 PM   #3
ladybud
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

There are several things that can cause blood in urine besides cancer. If your bladder is inflamed, it could be from that, especially if it is a small amount and microscopic (not seen in urine by naked eye). Blood can leak from the kidneys in various types of nephritis (post-strept infection, lupus), stones can cause hematuria but those should have been seen on CT scan. I would also be concerned about too many CT scans. If you have your urine monitored, have no other symptoms, it seems you will be staying on top of it. If you have ANY symptoms of lupus, I would ask for a blood test for anti-dsDNA antibodies, which correlates with lupus nephritis. Your kidney function tests should be done as well, and probably have been, the BUN and Creatinine.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:51 AM   #4
TaterTottens13
(male)

TaterTottens13 HB User

I am actually in a somewhat similar situation. I just made a post about it, feel free to check it out, its in this same subsection of the forum. But yea, I have this case of microscopic hematuria, and as of yet, there doesnt seem to be a clear answer. Ill let you know if they find anything. This isnt the first time ive heard of this case. But just as you said, i have been told that blood in urine is abnormal, so it leaves me scratching my head.

Reply Reply

Tags
cancer, hematuria, radiation