It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board

• Male flexible cystoscopy - is procedure visible to patient?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-11-2018, 04:13 PM   #1
    ardam123
    (male)

ardam123 HB User
    Male flexible cystoscopy - is procedure visible to patient?

I've had painful urination for several weeks and came up negative for UTI, STD etc. The doctor said not much more could be gathered from blood or urine tests and suggested a cystoscopy to see if there was a deeper problem.

After he explained the basics I was not looking forward to the concept of course, but agreed we should check all avenues for what's wrong.

I am unlike 99% of patients whose reflex is probably to close their eyes and pretend this isn't happening. I'm someone who actually watches needle injections into my arm and similar things. It makes me MORE secure/comfortable to see what's happening to my body in these situations than not to see. Call me crazy but that's how it is.

So, my questions are:

1) Can the patient see what's going on with this procedure? I understand you are draped, but I don't know if the penis and tubing is in the line of sight.

2) Would it be insane to ask to Dr to make it possible for me to see? Maybe they even go out of their way to cover it up from your sight. It might be strange for them to get this request, but I don't see how it would interfere with the procedure so maybe they're fine with it.

Would greatly value info on this from medical professionals or people who have had the procedure. My concerns may be just about the opposite of others, but if they can be accommodated I'm going to ask! Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2018, 09:12 PM   #2
    Jerseygirl921
    (female)

Jerseygirl921 HB User
    Re: Male flexible cystoscopy - is procedure visible to patient?

Hi ardam123,
    I can try to answer your question from a female perspective, given the differences in the male and female anatomies; I can tell you my experiences.

I'm a two time bladder cancer survivor, so I'm an old pro when it comes to cystoscopies. My experience is first the area is cleaned/sterilized with Betadine, then the doctor applies a bit of Lidocane (numbing jelly) to the area. At that point the nurse is holding the actual cystoscope so that the doctor can insert the other end of the scope, which is the tiny camera and light, into the urethra. The nurse then hands the cystoscope back to the doctor. So physically I can't see any of this going on, I can see the tube and the scope itself but that's about it. My eyes are usually on the monitor to watch as the camera goes up the urethra into the bladder.

I think you should be able to ask your doctor whatever you want, especially if you're a first timer and you have concerns, or if something can possibly be done to make you more comfortable with the procedure.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you all can get to the bottom of whatever is causing your issues.

Hope this helps, and if you have any more questions, feel free !

Reply Reply

Tags
    bladder, men, penis, urethra, urology