It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board

• Looking for answers

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-28-2018, 09:29 PM   #1
    karmasite
    (female)

karmasite HB User
    Looking for answers

hello everyone Im a 63 yr old female w one kidney. This month I went for an lumbar MRI for my back. My orthopedist noticed what appeared to him to be an aneurism on my lower rt side. He referred me to a vascular surgeon who wants me to go for a CT-scan of pelvis and abdomen w/ no contrast. But when I called to schedule the imaging center asked me if I had a kidney stone or blood in my urine ( actually I regularly test positive for small traces of blood in my urine, my urologist feels Im just one of those people who do)..Anyway Im worried to drink that drink for the scan as Im petrified it will affect my kidney. Because years ago when my primary md sent me for that scan when he thought a cyst on the kidney that was removed, was causing me problems, well abt 8 days later that cyst imploded and caused me a systemic infection resulting in that kidney eventually being removed. I think I can have the scan w/o drinking the drink....IM PETRIFIED of drinking that drink and having problems w my only kidney....I have no symptoms and wouldn't have even known I had this probable aneurism, or whatever it is if I never went for that MRI...PLEASE can anyone provide me ANY feedback on this ...Im sooooo concerned. And, sorry about the length of this message. Looking forward to any response.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2018, 04:57 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Looking for answers

Hello. I also suffer from Kidney disease...if they are asking you to drink Barium, the chalky white substance before your test, it is safe to do this as it only stays in your system less than 4 hours and can be flushed out by drinking large quantities of water.... your other choice is to ask the doctor to allow you to have the contrast- which is administered IV and can also be flushed out quickly.

The cyst which burst, has nothing to do with drinking barium OR from contrast, Cyts rupture (burst) all the time and although incredibly painful- one never knows when it will happen or what might cause it to happen.

Whichever way you go, you want to drink gallons of water immediately after your test to flush out your kidney- and bring your body back to normal levels. Barium is safe for kidney disease though; I have to drink it quarterly as I am allergic to iodine and the CT contrast is an ionic solution!

You'll be fine....it will not affect a cyst.

The following user gives a hug of support to MSNik:
    karmasite (01-03-2019)
    Old 12-29-2018, 04:45 PM   #3
    Snoopy61
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

Hi karmasite.

Have you discussed your concerns with a knowledgeable Urologist? If not I would like to encourage you to do so. A Urologist would have the correct and current information about your concerns. The dye/contrast used for CT Scans is something that should not be taken lightly, do your Drs. know you have one kidney?

I hope all goes well, take care.

The following user gives a hug of support to Snoopy61:
    karmasite (01-03-2019)
    Old 01-02-2019, 08:29 PM   #4
    karmasite
    (female)

karmasite HB User

thanks so much for the feedback ...that was reassuring and I guess I will go ahead and drink the drink and of course flush afterwards w tons of water. And yes, Snoopy, I have left a message for my urologist but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. The doctor who ordered the test is aware I have one kidney that is why he wanted me to have the drink vs. the iv dye, I guess he felt the drink was less stressful on the kidney??? MSNik do you take this test quarterly??? Is that why u need to drink it quarterly??? There aren't
    too many people I can discuss this with and I really, really appreciate the feedback.I hope my urologist gets back soon. I kinda panic when these things happen...shame to say...Thanks again

Old 01-03-2019, 05:00 PM   #5
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Karmasite, I was taking them quarterly, now it is twice a year, starting just this last month.... I do have kidney issues, but I have both of them. I did some damage to my kidneys with a drug which I was taking for my neurological disease years ago and they have never recovered full capacity.

The Barium drink is much safer and leaves your system much faster than IV contrast...which is ionic and can really affect your kidneys. I am certain your doctor knew this when he ordered the barium swallow, but I am sure you will (and should) ask him again why he felt this was the best option. Without either, there is no sense doing the scan because it will not show what they need to see. Your other option is an MRI, however, most insurances will not cover it without having done a CT scan first.

Hope this helps And good luck!

Old 01-03-2019, 05:08 PM   #6
    karmasite
    (female)

karmasite HB User

Thank you MSNik….actually I did have a MRI of the spine,,thats how they saw this possible aneurism...but they could not see detail...thus the f/u for the CT scan...Im gonna schedule for next week..hope all goes well...

Reply Reply