It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board

• Retention after surgery

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-18-2019, 12:36 PM   #1
    Meshell701

Meshell701 HB User
    Retention after surgery

Hello all. I am a 54 year old female. I am 7 days into my recovery for LIS Sphincterotomy/anal procedure for chronic anal fissure by a colorectal surgeon (CRS). My recovery is progressing slowly but nicely. My issue is that I am dealing with URINARY RETENTION since the night of my procedure. I could not really pee much before I left the hospital and was up all night trying, unsuccessfully. So I went to the ER crack of dawn to have a catheter put in. 4 days later my CRS removed catheter. Still could not pee much the entire evening so I went back to ER for a second catheter the next morning. I tried everything to get myself to pee more than just a few trickles. I googled bladder irratents/suggestions to drink/eat, peeing in warm bath etc. Nothing worked. Bladder is definitely kinked. I am having the second catheter removed tomorrow by my CRS but I am still concerned I will need a third catheter. Perhaps I should heal more (swelling to go down) before I have second catheter removed? Is it necessary to see a Urologist too?
    If anyone has had this extremely frustrating experience and has any tips or advice for me I would so appreciate it ��

Last edited by Administrator; 02-18-2019 at 04:05 PM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Meshell701
    yayagirl (03-04-2019)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2019, 10:10 AM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Retention after surgery

Dear Meshell,

Call your primary care doctor's office and or your urologist and tell them that consistently you are unable to urinate after catheter removal, and that going to urgent care or Emergency is not resolving the problem. Give them details.

You might have an infection. You might need a long term catheter while healing. Insist that your doctor find out what is going on and what can be done about it.

I'm sorry you have this to deal with. Let us know what you find out.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:58 PM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Talk to the CRS..they see this all the time after surgery. They can advise you if you need to see a urologist or if this will simply take more time to heel.
    Your doctor is your best source of information.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:47 PM   #4
    Meshell701

Meshell701 HB User

Thank you all for the responses! I was able to finally pee after the second catheter was removed. I guess I needed more time to heal and for bladder to wake up. Thanks again all!

Last edited by Meshell701; 03-10-2019 at 05:51 PM.

Reply Reply