It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board

• HELP! I'm 18 and still wet the bed!

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-26-2020, 04:55 PM   #1
    Lily Heart
    (female)

Lily Heart HB User
    Angry HELP! I'm 18 and still wet the bed!

To whom it may concern,
    My name is Lily. I am am an 18-year-old female. For my whole life, I have had problems with bedwetting; I wake up in the night and my bed is soaked with pee and it is not a matter of me being lazy. ( I do not have incontinence during the day). There are times when this problem has gotten better, but it has never completely gone away and has always been an issue that I worry about and am deeply embarrassed about and ashamed of. It has been especially bad recently (I wet the bed 3 times this week), and is making me feel depressed and hopeless. Sleeping anywhere besides my home is always a source of stress to me because I have this nagging fear that I will wet the bed.

Over the years, I have attempted many treatments for my bedwetting; I have seen urologists, done physical therapy, taken desmopressin, set alarms to wake up in the night, cut back my liquid intake in the evenings, had my bladder checked for abnormalities (there are none), used moisture-sensitive alarms, and attempted to train myself to make sure that I am fully awake when I get up in the night to urinate.

Sadly, none of these solutions have worked. People say that bedwetting is a problem that people grow out of, but I am starting to believe that I never will. I have a congenital heart defect/disease called hypoplastic left heart syndrome (HLHS) which essentially means that I am living with a single-ventricle, dual-chambered heart and my blood flows passively to my lungs instead of being actively pumped there. I also found out about 2 years ago that I have dual renal duplication, which means that I have 4 kidneys instead of 2. I am wondering if any of these medical abnormalities that I have is causing my bedwetting to persist (Am I sleeping too deeply because of my heart condition and so I don't wake up in time to urinate in the bathroom? Or does my kidney anomaly cause my body to produce more urine than normal? Does anyone have any advice of what I could do next? I am open to literally ANYTHING, surgery, treatment, whatever ; I would give anything to be healed of this bedwetting.

Best,

Lily

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2020, 08:29 AM   #2
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: HELP! I'm 18 and still wet the bed!

Hi Lily Heart! Sorry about your medical issues.

I used to have breathing problems almost every night. Different than wetting the bed, but still an issue at night only.

I would go to sleep breathing okay and then between 1am and 2am, I would wake up with a tight chest. I thought that it was a reaction to my body's hormonal activity (ref: circadian rhythm). I figured that I would try to fool my body and make my body think that it was daytime so that my body would cease the nightly hormonal activity that was causing my health problem, labored breathing. I would get up around 12 midnight, turn on all of the lights and do about 15 minutes of exercise. After that, I turned off the lights and went back to sleep and did not have breathing problems during that night. It worked!

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:07 AM   #3
    Lily Heart
    (female)

Lily Heart HB User
    Re: HELP! I'm 18 and still wet the bed!

Hi Machaon,
    I see that you are a veteran; thank you so much for your service! Also, thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post. I think your idea about trying to fool your body is a really good one! I will have to try out your idea and see what happens! Thanks again, and I wish you good health during this pandemic!

Best,
    Lily

The following user gives a hug of support to Lily Heart:
    Machaon (07-27-2020)
    Reply Reply