HealthBoards (
-   Urology (
-   -   Should I see a Urologist? (

Chaotican 08-06-2003 04:14 PM

Should I see a Urologist?
I'm wondering if a Urologist is appropriate for what is happening to me. I've been under the care of an OBGYN (I'm female, but I hear that Urologists see women, too) for the problems I've been having, but I'm becoming convinced that they are only treating the symptoms. I think that I have a resistant strain of bacteria that is causing many problems.

It started with a terrible bladder infection on Christmas Day 2002. My urine was coming out red and chunky before I even began to feel the effects of the UTI. I got antibiotics and it went away after about three grueling days.

Then I got an infection on my labia. I had to get that lanced. Then a neighboring gland became infected. Then another gland became infected. The infection went away on its own, but I didn't feel like it was really gone. It came back a month later, and finally I had to have surgery to have the gland removed. The gland had expanded and stretched WAY further into sensitive areas than it should have.

Now, two months after surgery (which left me scared, but now I'm just venting), I got another boil over the weekend and it burst. The drainage seems to have caused a yeast infection. My OBGYN told me to just keep an eye on it and come back as soon as there was further swelling. They are treating it as if they just didn't remove all of the gland.

I still feel like something is wrong. The left side of my labia is tough to describe. You know when you are about to get a huge zit, how the skin feels tender and full? Well, it feels like that. Would a Urologist be able to test for bacteria? Is there any other type of doctor I should see?

Thank you very much!

projapoti 08-06-2003 09:30 PM

Urologists definitely see women! I'm sorry that you're going through this! Absolutely, go and get checked out by the urologist. I'm not going to totally discount the obie that (s)he's just "treating the symptoms", but more saying that the urologist specializes in this kind of stuff so should be able to at least give a different point of view.

kellie2 08-12-2003 08:19 PM

Hmmm, the problems you're describing sound to me like something your gynocologist should be treating, as you've been doing. A urologist treats your bladder, nothing else, and I have a feeling that if you went to him with the problems you're having with your labia and glands, he may very nicely tell you to go back to your doctor. If your bladder seems fine, and your urinating fine, I'm kind of doubtful he could do much for you. I read your post a couple of times, and I honestly don't see anything out of the ordinary that your doctor has done....unless you simply want another opinion. But I would still question if a urologist is the one to see.....

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:09 PM.