It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board

Should I see a Urologist?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-06-2003, 03:14 PM   #1
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 9
Chaotican HB User
Post Should I see a Urologist?

I'm wondering if a Urologist is appropriate for what is happening to me. I've been under the care of an OBGYN (I'm female, but I hear that Urologists see women, too) for the problems I've been having, but I'm becoming convinced that they are only treating the symptoms. I think that I have a resistant strain of bacteria that is causing many problems.

It started with a terrible bladder infection on Christmas Day 2002. My urine was coming out red and chunky before I even began to feel the effects of the UTI. I got antibiotics and it went away after about three grueling days.

Then I got an infection on my labia. I had to get that lanced. Then a neighboring gland became infected. Then another gland became infected. The infection went away on its own, but I didn't feel like it was really gone. It came back a month later, and finally I had to have surgery to have the gland removed. The gland had expanded and stretched WAY further into sensitive areas than it should have.

Now, two months after surgery (which left me scared, but now I'm just venting), I got another boil over the weekend and it burst. The drainage seems to have caused a yeast infection. My OBGYN told me to just keep an eye on it and come back as soon as there was further swelling. They are treating it as if they just didn't remove all of the gland.

I still feel like something is wrong. The left side of my labia is tough to describe. You know when you are about to get a huge zit, how the skin feels tender and full? Well, it feels like that. Would a Urologist be able to test for bacteria? Is there any other type of doctor I should see?

Thank you very much!

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 08-06-2003, 08:30 PM   #2
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: London, ON
Posts: 667
projapoti HB User

Urologists definitely see women! I'm sorry that you're going through this! Absolutely, go and get checked out by the urologist. I'm not going to totally discount the obie that (s)he's just "treating the symptoms", but more saying that the urologist specializes in this kind of stuff so should be able to at least give a different point of view.

Old 08-12-2003, 07:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 728
kellie2 HB User

Hmmm, the problems you're describing sound to me like something your gynocologist should be treating, as you've been doing. A urologist treats your bladder, nothing else, and I have a feeling that if you went to him with the problems you're having with your labia and glands, he may very nicely tell you to go back to your doctor. If your bladder seems fine, and your urinating fine, I'm kind of doubtful he could do much for you. I read your post a couple of times, and I honestly don't see anything out of the ordinary that your doctor has done....unless you simply want another opinion. But I would still question if a urologist is the one to see.....

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Should I be Worried About My Dad brc1976 Cancer: Prostate 3 03-09-2010 10:54 PM
Dealing With the Initial Shock - What Should I Do Next? Rider18 Cancer: Prostate 10 12-05-2009 11:11 AM
should i get second opinion? Kertie446 Urology 4 09-01-2009 01:52 AM
What type of doctor should I be seeing for a potential pheochromocytoma? nfwren High & Low Blood Pressure 2 04-22-2009 08:18 PM
What should be tested for Low Testosterone Cory1622 Men's Health 1 04-30-2008 07:47 PM
Falling bladder(should I have surgery?) Shababy Women's Health 13 04-08-2008 03:29 AM
Should I be screened for Diabetes? ta2d Diabetes 13 02-15-2008 08:29 PM
How often should a person urinate ? skipa dee babe Urology 5 12-31-2007 01:31 PM
Should I be concerned about my kidney cysts? Sandilyn Kidney Disorders 2 04-10-2007 02:05 PM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:13 AM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!