It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board

• Iced tea cause of blood in urine??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-27-2003, 08:03 PM   #1
    Vivian
    (female)

Vivian HB User
    Post Iced tea cause of blood in urine??

My son (11 years old) has had blood in his urine on two separate occasions. Both times we went to the hospital and they couldn't find anything wrong.
    The color of his urine was deep red like cranbury juice. After several negative tests, scans, ultrasound, the urologist asked me if my son drank a lot of iced tea before the blood appeared. He never drinks it at home, but both times we were at parties the same day and my son did have a several glasses of iced tea. The urologist said something about iced teas causing crystals to form. Has anyone ever heard of this? I do not another man who was told the same thing and that it means he will also be prone to stones. Please let know what your thoughts are.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2003, 08:45 AM   #2
    RageOfAngels
    Veteran

RageOfAngels HB User
    Yes, there is some truth to this. Most urinary/kidney stones consist of calcium oxalate, so it is best to limit the amount of oxalate in the diet. High levels of oxalate can be found in tea and therefore once should limit the amount of tea (or iced tea) in the diet.

High salt intake can also increase the amount of calcium in your urine and can cause you to form stones. A diet low in salt (and in animal protein) can reduce the formation of oxalates in the urine.

He should also avoid drinking tap water or other highly-mineralized water, as these can also have extra amounts of oxalates in them.

Closed Thread