It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board

• Emotional problems with kidney stone operation?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-20-2003, 07:47 AM   #1
    farscape66
    Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User
    Emotional problems with kidney stone operation?

Urethscopic stone removal: Stone 2 inches above bladder in ureter. Stuck there for last 6 months.
    I have never had surgery before and am terrified of hospitals. I also have a great fear of anything involving the genital area. I have a long standing felling of inadequacy in that area. I also suffer from depression. I am currently not on any medication, but in the past I have been on Prozac. I have a current prescription for Lexapro that I have yet to start.
    Emotional problems: My father was a healthy man all his live, he was a coal miner, until he had hernia surgery 30 years age. After the surgery he developed blood clots in his legs, this led to his first stroke. Additional strokes occurred and he was brought back from near death 4 years ago. He spent the next 3 years in a nursing home dying. This was a horrible experience for me. I saw him with catheters and other tubes and became terrified of tubes and hospitals.

In summary, I am a big baby with a low tolerance for pain.

Here are my questions:

1). Is an IV line required, for anything other than the anesthetic? If so how soon will it be removed? I have hard to find veins and the IV in the hand usually hurts much more. I hate IVís with a passion. IV time must be minimized.
    2). Has anyone ever died from this surgery?
    3). I assume I am asleep before any tubes are inserted or removed from the penis?
    4). When removing the stint afterwards in your office, are you awake for this procedure? Can you be sedated or given a tranquilizer for stint removal?
    5). If stint discomfort is a problem, are the antispasmodic medications prescribed up front or is an office visit required?
    6). How long should soreness or bleeding in the genital area be expected to continue?
    7). Does small penis size help or hinder the operation in any way?
    8). If something goes wrong and open surgery is required, how long is the hospital stay involved?
    9). Please do all you can to minimize my time in the hospital. I have an almost irrational fear of hospitals and may require constant sedation or tranquilizers. I am concerned as to the mental scars left from this procedure also. This could lead me into another depression and cause me to return to anti depressant medication.

I do not want to end up with blood clots and see my life destroyed like what happened to my father. I would like to have available and sign a DNR clause before surgery. My greatest fear is ending up like my father.

How do I get through this? Or do I cancel the surgery, wait for the stone to clog the kidney completly and cause kidney infection and kill me.
    L3-L4 Spondololytheses Grade 2, Neuropathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread