It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board

• Frequent Urination

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-11-2005, 05:54 AM   #1
    Dees1977
    (female)

Dees1977 HB User
    Frequent Urination

Hello all! I am a 28 yr old female. I am on no birth control I have no kids (yet) I have been having frequent urination a lot. I have a dull ache in my lower stomach and bladder spasms. Some days I have no symptoms..other days I am peeing 7 times in an hour. And I dont just dribble I pee full amounts each time. I had a cysto over a year ago and he said my bladder looked very healthy. I have gone back to the urologist and he saw no sign of infection at all and my bladder is emptying properly. He put me on detrol and said it could be caused by constipation. I have used laxative like prescribed from him and it seemed to MAYBE be a little better. Also I dont have the symptoms while I am on my period. Someone PLEASE help! I am miserable. Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2005, 01:25 PM   #2
    kinsey61
    (female)

kinsey61 HB User
    Re: Frequent Urination

Dees,
    I am 43, no kids, symptoms very similar to yours, especially during my 20's. You didn't mention if sex makes it worse, but in my case it did. I went though 3 urologists until I found one that helped me. He just kept trying things the other ones didn't. He also has told me ( almost everytime I am in his office ) that the uterus, bowel and bladder are so close together that problems in one can cause problems in the other. Over the years living with this, I have found that what I eat or drink directly effects my bladder ( I don't know if this just happened as I got older, or if I just figured it out then. ) Anyting starchy or God forbid, gassy ( like beans of any kind) would cause bladder spasms so bad the next day, that once I was sure I was passing some sort of stone. I also can't tolerate vitamin c in almost any form, it irritates my bladder. But everybody is different, I have read on this site how vitamin c has helped people with this type of problem. Unfortunatly I think some people just have sensitive bladders that are affected by many things. Once you rule out any type of major medical problem with the kidneys or bladder ( I'm thinking you said your Dr had done this, if not you should get anything major ruled out) then maybe you can relax a little and figure out what foods, drinks, supplements or activites you need avoid.( Don't worry, I didn't give up on sex, just found the man the was the right fit [ my husand of 10 years ] and LOTS of lubrication. )
    I would also suggest maybe a different Urologist, just to get a second opinion. I know my Dr has helped this whole thing so much, just by monitoring what needs monitored and assuring me nothing major was going on. The anxiety I spent on this made the problem so much worse. ( and it is a painful problem!)
    Search around this board too, I know it has helped me.
    Hope some of this helps, and good luck!

Old 03-11-2005, 08:11 PM   #3
    dackard
    (female)

dackard HB User

What's interesting about your problem is that you said you pee full amounts each time. That doesn't necessarily sound like an irritated/overactive bladder to me. If that's 7 times an hour, that's a lot of liquids! Where is that liquid coming from? Do you drink a lot of water?

Last edited by dackard; 03-11-2005 at 08:12 PM.

Old 03-12-2005, 02:16 PM   #4
    Dees1977
    (female)

Dees1977 HB User

Thank you for the responses. No I do NOT drink a lot if anything after 7 p.m. I have been on the ditropan for 6 days and today I needed to pee and I had trouble starting. I think it is the meds. That was so horrible. I am just so upset.. It is so frustrating. I just want to be normal and healthy! I guess I should try another urologist? Or should I go to see my OB/GYN? Thanks so much!

Old 03-13-2005, 09:56 AM   #5
    The Inquirer
    (female)

The Inquirer HB User

Dees,

Sorry to hear you're feeling so lousy. I would definitely get off that Ditropan -- it can make it harder for you to "go", and that's a HORRIBLE feeling....

Have you been tested for interstitial cystitis?

Hope you feel better....Keep us posted....

Inq

Old 03-14-2005, 01:45 AM   #6
    dackard
    (female)

dackard HB User

Hey, I'm on Ditropan XL and it has improved my frequency greatly, with no side effects at all. I never had any problems with urinary retention, though.

What also worked very well for me was bladder training. My urologist did not even suggest this, they just love to prescribe pills. I found it and a lot of other great information on the Interstitial Association website. Your bladder muscle is like any other muscle. It needs to be worked in order to retain its tone. If you pee every time you feel the urge, your bladder loses tone and it actually makes things worse.

I was peeing numerous times an hour, just like you, I was miserable. Then I put myself on a schedule and recorded when I peed. At first, my goal was to 'survive' for 1/2 hour in between pees. I peed at 12pm, 12:30pm etc. Eventually I was able to go for 1 hour in between pees. Eventually I worked it up to 2 hours. Within 1 week of doing this, my daytime frequency had improved greatly and I was much much happier. I still have to take the Ditropan XL for the nighttime frequency. You can try bladder training in addition to taking medication.

Other things that have helped me: remove all caffeine from my diet, limit sugar, limit citrus fruits, limit spicy foods. This is all ways of treating interstitial cystitis, but also help with overactive bladder. Unless you have a cytoscopy under general anesthetic, you will not get a definite diagnosis of interstitial cystitis.

BTW, my symptoms used to be much, much worse just before my period and then improve when I got my period. No idea why though.

Old 06-10-2005, 03:47 AM   #7
    ebp123
    (female)

ebp123 HB User

I've been having some pain and the frequent urges. I went to two different doctors - a general prac and a urologist - and eventually just went on some pain medication, as I was having pain at the base of my pelvis. The urgency did subside after I stopped smoking, drinking alcohol, and cut out caffeine. The pain is not as much of an issue now, but the urgency came back a few days ago after about 3 to 4 weeks without it. I'm fairly convinced that the urgency is food triggered, since I did introduce some alcohol back into my diet and Splenda. I cut those things out immediately, so we'll see.

Just wanted to let you know that there are others out there like this. One question for those reading this--did your symptoms come on very suddenly? I have a history of UTIs, but hadn't had one for 4 months when my symptoms just appeared seemingly out of nowhere.

Old 06-11-2005, 09:50 PM   #8
    Canyondweller
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User

Dees, I have the same problem. Can't believe sometimes how much i can pee in an hour and then for days i can be normal. I swear I just get out of bathroom and have to go back. I feel pressure but not pain. I, too, have been checked out and other than a small bladder nothing was wrong. But it can't be that small to hold all that. I posted over of the diabetes form since frequent voiding can be a sign of diabietes and my Dr. thinks I may be pre diabetes based on some recent tests but i don't think this is the same kind of peeing. I use the Detrol LA when it is bad but only use it for a couple days at a time and that seems to take care of the problem for awhile. Sometimes it doesn't come back for weeks. It is especially bad when I had been gardening or on treadmill. I think I strain something.

Old 07-01-2005, 06:34 PM   #9
    sarahchoc
    (female)

sarahchoc HB User

.I have the same problem. I've gone 5-8 times an hour before without having had anything to drink! It's VERY frustrating. I've been trying to get "fixed" for years. I was finally referred to a urologist who did a cystoscopy and a urodynamics test. He told me I had a small bladder. I'm having it strected at the end of this month. I'm a little nervous about that. There is a 30% chance it will work. I pray I'm in that 30% because I desperately want to lead a normal life!

Last edited by sarahchoc; 07-01-2005 at 06:36 PM.

Old 07-01-2005, 07:36 PM   #10
    Canyondweller
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User

I hope it works for you. My urologist did not suggest that. Maybe because I also have some leakage when i cough. Neiher really affect my life that much as I seldom get it when I am not home in fact I don't think I have ever had the frequency when i have been out. Usually it happens to me toward morning. I still think it has something to do with the body throwing off salt or something because if it was just that I have a small bladded why wouldn't I have it all the time. I drink water a lot because of lung problems and this only happens on occassion. Does it happen often to you? I know mine is worse when I have done something physical.

Closed Thread