It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board

• Seeking Treatment for Urinary Retention

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-02-2005, 08:46 AM   #1
    pburton
    (male)

pburton HB User
    Seeking Treatment for Urinary Retention

I am currently assisting a patient seek alternative treatments for Urinary Retention. She is a 40 year old female whose bladder stopped working a year ago. She has been medicated and catheterized ever since. This is a life-threatening condition as it will eventually shut down her one remaining kidney if left untreated. Most recently she underwent a trial implant of a neurostimulator (InterStim) but it was unsuccessful. We are now seeking alternative treatments for this condition. Can anyone suggest any other potential treatments for Chronic Urinary Retention?

Please help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2005, 12:53 PM   #2
    The Inquirer
    (female)

The Inquirer HB User
    Re: Seeking Treatment for Urinary Retention

Urinary retention is HORRIBLE!! ...so sorry your friend is going through this. Do the doctors know what is CAUSING her to retain? Is she on any anticholinergic medications? Does she have a neurogenic bladder? These are all questions she should have answered before she decides what treatment she will pursue.

She may be a candidate for a permanent catheter (can't think of the name of it right now), or another type of urinary diversion. If she is currently catheterizing herself, that can put her at a high risk for infection.

I've heard of the Interstim, but my understanding was that it was more often used for people who have small bladder capacities and frequency and urgency. That doesn't sound like her problem. Can you explain a little more about the situation?

Hope you find help soon....

Inq

Old 05-03-2005, 04:36 PM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

pernaps she should stop all other prescription meds in case they are the cause
    antidepressants can sometimes cause urine retention, especially

Old 05-04-2005, 03:11 AM   #4
    Millard
    Inactive
    (male)

Millard HB UserMillard HB UserMillard HB UserMillard HB User

She could ask her urologist about a suprapubic catheter. The catheter is surgically inserted through the bladder above the pubic bone. This tube stays in constantly and is changed approximately monthly. Another procedure is the mitroffanoff. A stoma is inserted in the lower abdomen which permits intermittent catheterization approximately every 3 to 4 hours.

Good luck,

Millard

Last edited by Millard; 05-04-2005 at 03:26 AM.

Old 05-04-2005, 11:59 AM   #5
    dreamer54
    (male)

dreamer54 HB Userdreamer54 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pburton
    I am currently assisting a patient seek alternative treatments for Urinary Retention. She is a 40 year old female whose bladder stopped working a year ago. She has been medicated and catheterized ever since. This is a life-threatening condition as it will eventually shut down her one remaining kidney if left untreated. Most recently she underwent a trial implant of a neurostimulator (InterStim) but it was unsuccessful. We are now seeking alternative treatments for this condition. Can anyone suggest any other potential treatments for Chronic Urinary Retention?

Please help.

Your friends condition is not uncommon. Many people such as myself have the same problem and manage to live a normal life and from what I have been told by my doctors, it is not a "life threatening" condition as long as certain precautions are taken. The problems which could occur would be the result of allowing the bladder to remain over full for too long. This could damage her remaining kidney. Intermittant Self- Catheterization would be the best option to keep the bladder empty. Most people have no problem in using a catheter. Permanent catheters are another option along with the neurostimulator you mentioned. I would suggest self-catheterization, is there any reason why she would not be able to learn and perform this procedure ? It`s quite simple to do and allows the patient the most freedom.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:08 AM   #6
    roadwolf
    (male)

roadwolf HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Seeking Treatment for Urinary Retention

i am a father of a special needs child who is currently in riley's hosp for children she is having surgery today for a procedure called a mace and monte which are diversions of the urinary tract and bowel tract. the monte is the bladder tract diversion this allows for self cathing and prevent the need to remove underclothing to allow access to the cath site. from what i hear this is an extremely useful surgery for those unable to urinate without the assistance of a cath. the mace procedure is for the bowel tract is basically provides a reverse enema which is much more effective than laxatives or "normal" enamas. this procedure allows a person to sit on the toilet and flush themselves out. how ever the mace is time extensive in flushing out since it takes a total time of about two hours to complete the procedure nightly. hope this info is useful to someone.

Closed Thread