It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board

• Large stone + small 9yo = laser lithotripsy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-31-2006, 06:48 AM   #1
    itsmefelee
    (female)

itsmefelee HB User
    Arrow Large stone + small 9yo = laser lithotripsy?

So glad I found you all! My 9yo daughter is having a laser lithotripsy tomorrow (2/1) and I have questions that I hope someone can help to answer. First a background:

Last November my daughter complained about a stomach ache upon waking. It hurt for an hour or so and then she was fine. That afternoon (first time urinating since morning) she went to the bathroom and screamed since there was visible blood in her urine.

Fastforward: After meeting with Nephrologist and having sonogram done, and 24 hour urine which showed calcium, they discoved 'remnats' of a stone in her kidney and told her to drink, drink, drink and it will pass.

Fastforward to last week: She came home from school and said her side hurt. Called doctor who said 'stone could be on the move' and that evening she began vomiting at 9pm and did so every half hour until 4am. Took her for ultrasound in the morning and they directed me right into the Urolosist office at the Children's Hospital. Meet with a doctor who said my DD had a 7.7mm stone that made its way out of the kidney and down the ureater, stopping right before the bladder. He said this stone is too big for a small 9yo to pass and wants to do a laser lithotripsy tomorrow (wednesday).

Now the nerves are rattled! Has anyone had or heard of a child having this done? She will have general anesthesia and it could take from 45 minuted to a couple of hours depending on what they see. She could have swelling and that could require a stent.

Are stents safe? Is this a safe procedure for children? The urologist explained everything to my husband and myself but I am still nervous and would like to hear from others.

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2006, 07:24 AM   #2
    nr2go
    (female)

nr2go HB User
    Re: Large stone + small 9yo = laser lithotripsy?

I have had lithotripsy done about 1 1/2 yrs ago, but then I was 51 at the time. Mine was done with shock waves. It left a big bruise on my side and hurt some the next day. The laser lithotripsy from what I have read seems to be a less tramic approach, but I couldn't tell you for sure. Either one is safer then having then having to be cut open to remove the stone. Any time they have to cut there's always more risks involved, particularily with infection. She's young and will probably be running around like nothing happened. I felt better after 2 days, but again then I'm old! I think she'll be fine.

Last edited by nr2go; 02-01-2006 at 09:57 AM.

Closed Thread