It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board

• Crying Deep Inside trying to avoid the unavoidable with IC

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-02-2006, 10:40 PM   #1
    sweetthing40s
    (female)

sweetthing40s HB User
    Crying Deep Inside trying to avoid the unavoidable with IC

I am only 16 years old and I often find myself depressed thinking about all that I have to overcome and all the obsticals I have now and will have for the rest of my life. I find it difficult not only a year ago I was a "normal person" that could do "normal activities." Now it seems everytime I turn around I'm having to be an outcast and have to do different things. I like to stand out sometimes but not constantly not this way. It's effecting everything I enjoy doing in life making me not even want to live it anymore. I have so many restrictions that I feel why even try? If I can't live my life the way I was supposed to and the way I intended it then why try at all? I'm not giving up or anything and trust me I know there are far worse things that are happening to people out there but it's hard to avoid the way I feel about me and my life. I just wanted to know if anyone ever feels like this or if anyone could just talk to me and give me some advice because it might come in handy right now. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2006, 02:47 AM   #2
    im_only_lost
    Inactive
    (male)

im_only_lost HB User
    Re: Crying Deep Inside trying to avoid the unavoidable with IC

Hi.

You are in pain, and this may haunt you for the rest of your life. I have neither word nor touch that can ease you now. You do not deserve this, no one does. Perhaps, the sadness is too great for you to even feel anger. Your indignation is drowned in your choking tears.

Hug someone. Hug someone that you truly love. Hold that person tight. Gather some strength for now. I know that it is not enough. How could it ever be?

For those of us who disrespect our lives day to day, ending it would not be an outrageous thought. I doubt you were one of those people before your tragedy.

Nevertheless, you are now in a very difficult time. What kind of life do you have left?

I do not know. Living is hard enough without extra layers of hell.

There are people who love you. In your time of suffering, those people will be most apparent.

I enjoy warm baths, they are incredibly relaxing. It feels as though my back is being held up by the water. I can just close my eyes and my pain will drift away. You must soak in the love around you - temper a fragile buoyancy from that love.

I, like you, am in pain a lot of the time. Only through distraction can I make it milder. I most certainly do not have IC, but we all have problems, and for the past month I've had my own physical hell. But, that matters little.

Soak in the love of others. It is more potent than you think. It's a luxury not all of us can enjoy.

Sometimes, at times like this, you may feel that you can stomach it least.

Yeah. But do it anyway. If you can't salvage a smile somewhere, there is little point to ever waking.

Go ahead anyway.

Last edited by im_only_lost; 04-03-2006 at 02:51 AM.

Old 04-03-2006, 02:01 PM   #3
    sweetthing40s
    (female)

sweetthing40s HB User

Thank you for the reply it had a lot of meaning in it. Don't get me wrong I'm not suicidal or anything I just feel at a loss of hope and dignity at times. I feel lost deep inside like I have no where to go no where to turn. I had dreams of becoming a lawyer and I know I could never go through with that because it's just a struggle for me to go through high school let alone all the schooling it takes there's no way I could make it through. I don't think I could ever hold down a full time job or anything because I get wore out so easily and have too much time missed. My future looks very depressing and long off and I only have a year and a half to get myself together and figure out what is going to happen and it just seems so hard with all the obsticals from the IC which makes me lose hope. Writing about myself like this makes me feel really selfish but living with it day to day leaves me no choice but to think about it if you know what I mean like I said it's hard to avoid the unavoidable. But thank you for your time and advice it means a lot to me. Thank you much

Old 04-03-2006, 03:42 PM   #4
    im_only_lost
    Inactive
    (male)

im_only_lost HB User

Why do you only have a year and a half to choose?

Old 04-03-2006, 07:39 PM   #5
    sweetthing40s
    (female)

sweetthing40s HB User

Well I'll be considered an "adult" and I'll be moving out and I don't even know how I'm going to be able to support myself without being able to hold down a full time job.

Old 04-04-2006, 02:57 AM   #6
    im_only_lost
    Inactive
    (male)

im_only_lost HB User

Who are you living with?

Would your parents really kick you out at 18?! In that condition?

Hm...

I guess they figure you need to find some means of supporting yourself throughout life.

This is a rough spot.

Wow. I don't know what I'd do.

It must be tough to brave in any way at all. But if you are, that is an amazingly good first step.

I don't understand IC all that well, though...

Could you help me to understand it better?

Old 04-04-2006, 12:23 PM   #7
    sweetthing40s
    (female)

sweetthing40s HB User

IC is Intersititial Cystitis it has to do with the bladder when ever it is irritated it swellls and bleeds. I get spasms in my back my legs and my bladder from it and I also have a lot of headaches and stuff. There is no cure for it there are only things you can do to reduce it I have tried several of them even the surgical procedure and none seem to be very effective. What makes it irritated varies for many. I have to avoid any acidy food so anything with tomatoes a lot of fruits and n e thing with caffine too plus on top of that I'm lactose entolarant so not only can I not drink soda and a lot of juices I can't drink or eat milk products. We're also supposed to avoid spicy food as well. I can't even eat chocolate well I'm not supposed to. With me being normal not only a year ago besides the lactose entolarant issue it has been very hard for me to cope with this and to eat right so many of times I'm sick. I tried to eat everything right and I like starved myself for a week. All the doctors and sights for IC tell you what to avoid and give you stuff that you might be able to eat but they don't give you information of like how to put it together to make a meal or n e thing like that so it's very frustrating. When my family is eating pizza I can't just sit and watch them I love pizza and well I have to eat it if you know what I mean. The symptoms that are common in most people are like a UTI and I only get them sometimes but I get the other pains that most people don't get as much. So it's frustrating in that era too.

No my parents wouldn't kick me out but I'm very independent and I have always dreamed of being on my own and now I can't even bare the thought. I really want it to happen I want to be able to support myself but like I have said there are obsticals that may keep me from being able to do that.

I hope that you got a little better understanding of I C if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask. Thanks

Old 04-04-2006, 03:14 PM   #8
    im_only_lost
    Inactive
    (male)

im_only_lost HB User

Wow.

I hope you can still achieve your dreams.

If your resolve is strong enough, you will.

It makes me sick that your problem is incurable.

What are the side-effects of spicy foods that make them so bad to eat?

Also, how do you diagnose IC for sure?

Last edited by im_only_lost; 04-04-2006 at 03:15 PM.

Old 04-04-2006, 07:32 PM   #9
    sweetthing40s
    (female)

sweetthing40s HB User

I'm not sure exactly why the spicy foods irritate it it just does it enflames it and so it swells and bleeds which causes all my other pain. They found out that I had IC by expanding my bladder with water and looking into it with a scope they then saw all the pinlike bleeding spots and they say that's how they know is becuase the stretching of the bladder irritated it and enflamed it. No one even knows what causes I C still.

Last edited by sweetthing40s; 04-04-2006 at 07:34 PM.

Old 04-04-2006, 07:56 PM   #10
    im_only_lost
    Inactive
    (male)

im_only_lost HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Crying Deep Inside trying to avoid the unavoidable with IC

Yeah.

I've been doing some research on this thing.

I need to ponder it a little more, so I may not be posting for a couple of days.

Since the cause is unknown, it is very hard to pick the right treatment as some can be excessive and harsh on things that may not even be related to the cause.

You said you had some trouble arranging meals with the proper foodstuffs. I've seen a book or two and some sources on preparing meals for people with IC. You should definitely look into finding things such as that on the Internet or in a bookstore.

The best thing you can do is continue to research IC and related ailments since you best know your symptoms and the intimate details of your problems. Seeing a doctor doesn't hurt - but you've done that and it's expensive. I'm not saying that you'll find the miracle cure by working hard enough, but at least you may, if you continue researching in a case-sensitive manner, find relief that is more closely related to you as an individual.

I don't really know what I'm talking about.

But... I'm just trying to help. I'm not medically adept at all. But it hurts me to think of someone living like you are. I have my own ailments but, while its cliched to say this, it gives me even more strength to know that people with greater problems endure and succeed, whether they have IC, cancer, loss of limbs, blindness, etc.

Do the best to help yourself.

I'm going to ponder IC some more, but I'll be back soon.

Old 04-04-2006, 08:54 PM   #11
    sweetthing40s
    (female)

sweetthing40s HB User

What exactly is wrong with you if you don't mind me asking? I feel bad always talking about myself and how I'm the victim here but here you are another victim that I'm complaining to. I'm sorry. Thank you for all of your input and advice it's a great deal of help.

I have checked up on the books and stuff and they are pretty expensive and I'm just trying all the alternatives first before I go spending all that money. I will eventually get one of the books just holding off for now.

Old 04-04-2006, 09:31 PM   #12
    im_only_lost
    Inactive
    (male)

im_only_lost HB User

Yikes.

Here you are baring your soul... but now you ask me my problem...

I first came to this board because 1.) I'm a hypochondriac (always thinks he has an illness) but mainly 2.) this time I know I really do.

I am ultimately a very shy person. I feel like I'm somehow shorting you by not talking about my problems because you've talked about yours extensively. The truth is that when I finally got here I didn't have the courage to talk about my own problems.

As I said before, I am very shy and get embarassed very easily. After all, this is a urology forum, isn't it?

While I have a somewhat painful problem, I believe it to be not so grave on the overall scale - hopefully. Hopefully, a side-note in my life.

But I've been darting around the true nature of it.

Honestly, I am a very clumsy person and I get injured A LOT.

I don't go for two weeks without a problem.

But, man, I don't think it would help you to feel any better to know about my issues.

I'm more concerned for you - who has a pressing, devastating illness.

I'm roughly the same age as you, so I understand very well about the vast dreams that lay spread out in the horizons of our minds. I can only imagine how crushing your problem must be.

I guess it is wrong of me to say this: but you're handling your IC better than I would. I have a tendency to curl up and quit with any small problem - and since I've had a lot of them, that's been most of my life.

But when it comes to others, I do not wish the same for anyone.

I only desire to help you - who is in a much worse situation than I.

I am no idiot - but there is no way I could conceive of a medical means of treating you.

As I said before, beyond doctors, you are probably the best person for the job, armed with information, of course.

The only thing that troubles me is that there is not much more I can do for you.

As I said, I will ponder over IC and information for a few days and try to suggest something helpful but I'm afraid I am greatly limited.

Obviously, you are at this forum because you want some form of help.

People, especially women (because the urological system would be more similar), here who have had IC would probably be the most helpful.

But, as much as I quit on myself as a person, I hate to quit on anything else that's not me. ----- Yeah, I know that doesn't make much sense.

So that's why I'm trying to help. My focus attaches on something and I don't want to give up.

Come on, you're a human. I'd hate to say, "Oh well."

I bet that you can actually beat this.

I believe that you will, sooner than you think, defeat this IC.

Do not believe it will cripple you.

Believe in the miracle of self-confidence.

Search for answers - most often they come to those looking for them.

For a little bit, I'll do my part, too.

Never give up, do not submit to a lifestyle ruled by pain.

Last edited by im_only_lost; 04-04-2006 at 09:34 PM.

Old 04-05-2006, 09:17 PM   #13
    sweetthing40s
    (female)

sweetthing40s HB User

I understand that your shy and all but I really want to know what is wrong with you do you have prostitis or sumthin? Don't be embarrassed that's why we're all on here we all have problems. Thank you for all the confidence in me it means a lot it makes me feel stronger but I wish you could feel just as strong as you feel I am. You say your roughly the same age as me but could you be more specific? Sorry if you feel like I'm invading your privacy it's just that I have been talking to you about all my problems but I don't know really anything about you. So I would appriciate if you would let me know please. Thank you

Old 04-05-2006, 09:36 PM   #14
    im_only_lost
    Inactive
    (male)

im_only_lost HB User

If it will truly make you happy, I will do a little explaining.

The truth of the matter is that I am not entirely sure at all what is wrong with me.

I've just been having pain in and around the groin region for roughly a month and have on the whole failed to pinpoint the source.

I hope that's satisfactory for you because that's all that I know. Obviously, due to my lack of information, I have been looking around. That's what led me to places like this.

As far as my age, it is 18.

I would say I'm roughly your age but in truth you're probably older than me mentally since I have the maturity of an 13 year old... well, when I was 13, I had the maturity of a 6 yr. old, so I guess I have the maturity of me when I was 13 which was me when I was 6 which is me right now...

Yeah, it doesn't make sense. But what does?

Oh well.

Still, I'm going to do a little more IC research. See if I can't help.

I'll also continue to research for my own problems...

Old 04-06-2006, 09:16 AM   #15
    mad jamison
    (male)

mad jamison HB User

This is all very new to you and it's a big adjustment. But if you try and hang in there, accept help from others, don't expect too much from yourself, just keep pushing yourself a little bit more, and a little bit more. Soon you'll look back and see your progress and you'll be very proud.

I have to deal with urinary incontinence from a defective urethral sphincter. It's very embarrassing having to wear pads or adult diapers. But with support from nice people like the ones I've met here, it's not as bad.

BTW I have a daughter who is 16 and has spina bifida. She has a lot of bowel and bladder issues that are very common to spina bifida. She has had 12 surgeries. Some were for muscle contractures, she had a shunt put in for hydrocephalus, she's had bowel and bladder surgery, three surgeries to remove bladder stones, surgery for club feet, and she's in a wheel chair. She has learned to become quite independent, but she's had her whole life to learn. Maybe you're putting too much pressure on yourself.

Good luck and many hugs.

Closed Thread