It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board

• Abnormal urine (cloudy/pain/smell) - any ideas?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-21-2006, 11:11 AM   #1
    SwtLilThang

SwtLilThang HB User
    Abnormal urine (cloudy/pain/smell) - any ideas?

Hi everyone,

Please bear with me as this is long. I want to give you all the info I can. Thanks in advance for your help!

I want to get your thoughts on a problem I've had for the past two weeks. Starting on Sept. 7th, I went to the bathroom as usual, but when I was about to finish urinating, I felt a sharp pain in my urethra, it also felt like my body still wanted to keep urinating but my bladder was empty. I ignored it because I had just gotten off a 5 hour flight and figured it was because I held the urge to go to the bathroom for about 3 hours until I got off the plane.

Well, it didn't stop. Now, almost every time I go to the bathroom I get this pain, sometimes it is more sharp than other times. I also noticed a mildewy smell (I guess). I thought perhaps it was an infection, but my urine has been clear. Another thing that started happening the past two weeks is that I can't hold the urge to urinate anymore. Since I started noticing the smell and pain, I will get an instantaneous urge to urinate and have to go immediately. It's like my body refuses to let me hold it in, and I've found myself leaking one or two times when I can't get to the bathroom fast enough.

Fast forward to today, I went to the bathroom and noticed an amonia smell, but kind of sweet at the same time. I also noticed that my urine was cloudy. Could it be that holding in your urine would cause an infection? I've ruled out vitamins, unless it takes more than two weeks to clear your system.

Just to clarify - my back doesn't hurt, so it's probably not kidneys. The pain in strictly in my urethra and only happens just as I'm about to finish urinating.

Does anyone have any idea what this is?
    Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2006, 12:47 PM   #2
    kirstee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User
    Re: Abnormal urine (cloudy/pain/smell) - any ideas?

You may be experiencing crystals in your urine (hence the sharp pain upon urination) or you may have an infection. Have you been to the doctor for a urinalysis? I wouldn't delay seeing your doctor any longer, if you haven't done so already. Just a suggestion, the drug store carries pH strips for testing your urine for infection.

Blessings,
    Kirstee

Old 09-21-2006, 06:56 PM   #3
    Mari526
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mari526 HB User
    Post Re: Abnormal urine (cloudy/pain/smell) - any ideas?

All the symptoms you're describing indicate a bladder infection. Yes , holding in your urine can lead to a bladder infection. You should see your doctor as soon as possible, they will usually test your urine in the office and start you on a antibiotic.

Closed Thread