It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board

• Turp Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-24-2007, 12:00 PM   #1
    SLFNYC
    (male)

SLFNYC HB User
    Turp Question

I am 50yrs old,and supposed to go for TURP this week

Doctor says Its a one day hosp stay and the catheter will be removed
    the next day.Then I will be released from the hosptial. He alsp says recover time is 2 to3 weeks.

But I read that the Catheter may be in for 3 days. Also that recovery time is at least 2 months.

Does anyone konw the real truth about all this.

How long is the recovery period, Are there any risks involved

Thank You
    SLF

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2007, 03:12 PM   #2
    LENNYI
    (male)

LENNYI HB UserLENNYI HB User
    Re: Turp Question

SLF,

I had a TURP done last May. Most people who have this done are in the hospital for 23 hours with the catheter being removed 3 - 4 days after discharge. The surgery isn't that bad, but all the people I talked to or corresponded with said 3 months re cooperation and 4 to get back to normal. The main problem is the urinary frequency - takes a while for the nerves to calm down. I had some bladder neck scarring so I had the bladder neck opened 8 weeks ago. I also have prostatitis so my recovery is still ongoing.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-27-2007 at 03:30 PM.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:20 AM   #3
    SLFNYC
    (male)

SLFNYC HB User

My doctor rescheduled it for next Friday. He downnplays everything.
    He told me I would go home from the hosp the next day without the catheter. Also that I would be better in 2 to 3 weeks. I already have very frequent urination. Sometines as much as every half hour. So how much worse could the TURP make it ?

Last edited by SLFNYC; 10-28-2007 at 10:24 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 10-29-2007, 02:48 PM   #4
    LENNYI
    (male)

SLF,

You sound like what I was going through - if your bladder muscles are thickened, you will have a longer recovery period, not from the surgery, but for the urgency. You will pretty much have recovered from the surgery in 3 weeks, but will have some urgency for a while longer and not as often as you are going now. It can take quite a while for your bladder to get back to normal. Figure a 3 to 4 month total recovery period and that means getting everything working right and feeling better. I was at the 4 month period when I had the bladder neck incision done and was just starting to feel better, but I am starting over again with the urgency and the nerves settling down. The younger you are, the longer it takes for all the nerves in that area to settle down. You are in the young category so figure on a total recovery time of 3 - 4 months. That is the worst case. Some people do really well right away and others take a longer time - everyone reacts differently.
    You will start passing scabs in three weeks so make sure you drink enough liquids.
    If you have any questions or want to know what I went through, reply to this.
    I never took any pain medication after discharge so you shouldn't be in any major pain. The urgency was the the worst part and figure on an hour to 1 1/2 hour trips to the bathroom at the beginning. This is what most of the people I talked to and myself went through - you might not have any problems and do fine right from the beginning.
    Remember, we all were scared to death about the procedure, but it really isn't all that bad. Keep a positive attitude and you will do fine.
    Good luck and keep us informed on your progress!

Lenny

The Following User Says Thank You to LENNYI For This Useful Post:
    gretch61 (07-09-2012)
    Old 10-29-2007, 03:37 PM   #5
    SLFNYC
    (male)

SLFNYC HB User

Thanks So much. I live alone. I just want to know will I be able
    to go shopping the next day afterI come home from the hosp ?

Is it really Only a overnight DAY stay with the Catheter removed before you are sent home. ?

Is it true if I dont have this surgery it could be life threatining ?

Thanks again
    Stu

Last edited by SLFNYC; 10-29-2007 at 03:40 PM.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:59 PM   #6
    LENNYI
    (male)

Stu,

I really don't see you going shopping the next day. It is an overnight stay and I'm not sure you will have the catheter removed before discharge - most of us had it in for 3 - 4 days. That helps with the bleeding and resting the bladder area. Usually you don't drive till the follow-up doctor visit. The important thing is not to lift anything or do any sudden movements to minimize bleeding. You will be given instructions before discharge. Remember, no lifting anything heavier than a phone book - usually 3 to six weeks.
    I'm wishing you a speedy recovery - if you have any questions we are only a post away. All the doctors downplay this procedure - nobody would get it done if we were told all this stuff up front.
    Get yourself some TV dinners and lots to drink - try to stay away from the acids stuff to minimize the urine burning.
    This is not a life threatening condition unless you can't pass any water at all.

Lenny

Old 11-14-2007, 11:12 AM   #7
    SLFNYC
    (male)

SLFNYC HB User
    Re: Turp Recovery

I had this TURP on 10/27. They took of the Catheter the next day, but it had to be put back on several hours later. Because I was unable to urinate. They did the same thing (catheter on/off) for the next three days. They finally decided to send me home from the hosp. On 10/30, and left on the catheter until 11/12.

On 11/12 I went to the Uroligist ,he gave me a Cystoscopy test.
    I urinated and was told things went well. Now the Catheter is
    finally off and has been for three days. There is NO blood or leakage.

It still feels sore,and hurts,burns somewhat during/after urinating.
    But I think most of that is becasue the catheter was on for so long.

I still have frequent urinating at night. I'm told to expect that for about 2 more weeks. But during the day the frequency is not nearly as bad as it was before the TURP.

I was finally able to go for a long (but slow) walk on 11/14.
    It was the first time I walked more than one block, since
    before the TURP on 10/27. I didnt feel too much discomfort
    during the walk.

I just want to know how much longer this soreness and the burning during/after urinating is going to last. Should I contact the Doctor
    about the soreness and buring during urinating. Or should I wait I another few weeks.

If I knew all this going into this. I would not have chosen to have it.

Last edited by SLFNYC; 11-14-2007 at 11:30 AM.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:00 AM   #8
    LENNYI
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SLFNYC View Post
    I had this TURP on 10/27. They took of the Catheter the next day, but it had to be put back on several hours later. Because I was unable to urinate. They did the same thing (catheter on/off) for the next three days. They finally decided to send me home from the hosp. On 10/30, and left on the catheter until 11/12.

On 11/12 I went to the Uroligist ,he gave me a Cystoscopy test.
    I urinated and was told things went well. Now the Catheter is
    finally off and has been for three days. There is NO blood or leakage.

It still feels sore,and hurts,burns somewhat during/after urinating.
    But I think most of that is becasue the catheter was on for so long.

I still have frequent urinating at night. I'm told to expect that for about 2 more weeks. But during the day the frequency is not nearly as bad as it was before the TURP.

I was finally able to go for a long (but slow) walk on 11/14.
    It was the first time I walked more than one block, since
    before the TURP on 10/27. I didnt feel too much discomfort
    during the walk.

I just want to know how much longer this soreness and the burning during/after urinating is going to last. Should I contact the Doctor
    about the soreness and buring during urinating. Or should I wait I another few weeks.

If I knew all this going into this. I would not have chosen to have it.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:17 AM   #9
    LENNYI
    (male)

Stu,

Happy to hear things are going well - yes, they are going well. I told you the catheter should stay in for a few days - the swelling causes the not being able to urinate. Now, you need to relax a little and do as little as possible except for the light walking around. No heavy lifting for at least 6 weeks. The burning will last a few weeks - this is normal. I think I was on the Pyridium for quite a while. This is a big deal for a procedure so let your body adjust at its own pace. Figure 3 to 4 months for full recovery so sit back and try to relax. You will feel better every day or should I say weekly <G>. This recovery is measured in weeks and months. Now, remember that you will start to pass scabs about the three week mark - keep drinking often to keep the bladder flushed. If you have any concerns, just post them - been off the board for a few days, but I will check on you often! The doctors don't tell you any of this stuff - nobody would get it done if they knew what was going to happen during the recovery. Remember, you are in the younger classification for the TURP so it takes a wee bit longer to recover. After you start feeling better, you will be happy you had it done. Everyone said the same thing right after the surgery - time will take care of most of the problems.

Lenny

Old 11-16-2007, 02:15 PM   #10
    SLFNYC
    (male)

SLFNYC HB User

Hi
    Thanks for the nice reply. No passing of scabs. I had a little of that a week ago. The Soreness and buring is subsiding. But now I have the Frequent Urination. How long does that last ? think the Dr told me about three weeks.

Thanks Again
    SF

Old 11-17-2007, 08:35 AM   #11
    LENNYI
    (male)

Stu,

The time it takes for the frequent urination is the 50,000 question. Mostly everyone I had contact with said 3 - 4 months. After the TURP, I went 4 months and was just starting to get over the 2 hour frequency time. Then I had the surgery to open the bladder neck and I am at 11 weeks and still can't get past 2 hours so everyone is different. If you don't have any prostate problems (Prostatitis), you will recover fast, but if you are like me, count on a much longer time frame. Hope this helps you!

Lenny

Old 11-20-2007, 07:26 AM   #12
    Washer
    (male)

Washer HB User
    Smile Re: Turp Question

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SLFNYC View Post
    I am 50yrs old,and supposed to go for TURP this week

Doctor says Its a one day hosp stay and the catheter will be removed
    the next day.Then I will be released from the hosptial. He alsp says recover time is 2 to3 weeks.

But I read that the Catheter may be in for 3 days. Also that recovery time is at least 2 months.

Does anyone konw the real truth about all this.

How long is the recovery period, Are there any risks involved

Thank You
    SLF
    I've been reading this thread about guys having Turp done. i had it done in 1988. I was in the hospital 1 week or 6 days,don't remember. The catherer was removed about 2 days before I left the ward. My stream was powerful at home and for awhile. ..but that eventually wears off. These last ten years or so I get up once at night to relieve myself and thats about it. i try not to drink any liquids after 6pm, so that may have something to do with it. Now, I went to a Urologist for something else the other day, and when I told him I had a Turp back then..he said, suprisingly to me.."Oh, they don't do that anymore. Today we give pills." He's an oldtimer it that means anything. Ask your doctor about the pills first...maybe you don't have to do a turp. Of course thats more money for them, surgery as compared to pills.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:33 AM   #13
    SLFNYC
    (male)

SLFNYC HB User

Its been nearly a month (10-27) since the TURP.

Is it Normal to still have BURNING After urinating.
    It lasts only a minute or so.

Also ..some nights I feel the urge to uriante as soon as I lie down.
    Not able to sleep. Sholud I ask the Dr for some medication ?

Or is there any type of Medication you reccomend

Thanks
    SF

Old 11-21-2007, 07:37 AM   #14
    SLFNYC
    (male)

SLFNYC HB User

It hass been nearly a month (10-27) since the TURP.

Is it Normal to still have BURNING After urinating.
    It lasts only a minute or so.

Also ..some nights I feel the urge to uriante as soon as I lie down.
    Not able to sleep. Sholud I ask the Dr. for some medication ?

Or is there any type of Medication you reccomend

Thanks
    SF

Old 11-21-2007, 04:22 PM   #15
    LENNYI
    (male)

SF,

As I have been telling you - this is a lot bigger of an operation than you would think. I think the answer to your questions are directly related to your condition before the surgery. You had urgency before so I would assume your bladder isn't in great shape right now.

I'll keep telling you three to four months to recover. You need to try and relax and let you body heal. Have you had the follow-up doctor visit yet? What was the path report? What is your doctor saying?

Stay away from food and drinks that are high in acid - I'm taking prelief with my meals and when I have coffee in the morning. Is it burning when you urinate or does your bladder have a burning sensation. Look up IC and try to use that as a help with the burning.

Try to be a little more specific with these things that are bothering you and we can answer your questions more reliably. I can tell you what I have experienced and what I am still going through, but I don't want to give you bad information. Tell us what you are experiencing in detail so we can understand it better. We all aren't doing so well or we wouldn't be on this board! We all need and are looking for support with our conditions.

Lenny

Closed Thread