It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board

• Daughter has frequent/urgent urination

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-10-2009, 08:13 AM   #1
    atwitsend321
    (female)

atwitsend321 HB User
    Daughter has frequent/urgent urination

I have a 13 year old daughter who is experiencing frequent/urgent urination. There are days when she is going to the bathroom every 5-10 minutes for up to 6 hours...she lays down and goes to sleep in order to stop...this starts usually in the morning but has happened throughout the day. We have been to 2 urologists. The first just changed meds and did no testing. The 2nd is a pediatric urologist who has done an ultrasound, had her do a journal of bowel movements and her urinating...time and amounts. They put her on Miralax and switched her to an oxytrol patch which she started on 3/6/09 and was told it could take up to 2 weeks to work (she was already on this medication orally). She has been dealing with this since 1/6/09 off and on at first but it has progressed to more bad days than good. She is unable to go to school due to the fact that she usually has to "hold herself" or sit in the bathroom constantly. I asked the current urologist about stretching the urethra since a couple people have told me that this helped their family member when they were going through what sounds to be the same as my daughter. The response was "We don't really do that anymore. Studies have shown that this procedure doesn't really help." My daughter has type 1 diabetes. Her endocronologist says that this has nothing to do with her problem...her Blood sugars are typically +/- 130. When diagnosed last March and throughout last summer she had frequent readings of 200-300 and was not having this problem with frequent/urgent urination. I get the feeling that the Drs. are constantly looking to the diabetes as an answer even though her endocronologist says it's not. She has not had a cystoscope (not sure if that is the correct term) because the current Dr. doesn't believe it will show anything. My question is "How do you know???" We are going crazy....any suggestions? I'm just a mom trying to help her daughter who shouldn't have to live like this. She has even tried getting up at 4:45am to see if she could "make it stop" in time to get to school...this didn't work...she was in the bathroom until 1:30pm (the urgency typically stops around 11:30-1:30 when she has these episodes...which is now almost everyday)

Last edited by atwitsend321; 03-13-2009 at 04:59 AM. Reason: more info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
    cleansweap
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

cleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB User
    Re: Daughter has frequent/urgent urination

This is sad, as many of the other post with simular problems. Could kidney stones cause this by chance? Have she ever been checked for kidney stones? I don't have an answer, just more questions, that maybe will lead to an answer. Don't give up though, keep searching until you found what you need for your daught.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:31 AM   #3
    atwitsend321
    (female)

atwitsend321 HB User
    Re: Daughter has frequent/urgent urination

When they did the ultrasound they checked the bladder and kidneys and both looked fine. Don't know if ultrasound checks for stones. I will definitely ask though. Thanx for taking the time to reply. They are going to do a "Video Urodynamics" on her bladder. Hopefully this may give some answers.

Closed Thread