It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board

• Chronic urinary retention

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-15-2009, 07:54 AM   #1
    Kertie446
    Inactive
    (female)

Kertie446 HB User
    Chronic urinary retention

Hi, everyone

I have had three post void residual volume tests on my bladder due to severe urinary frequency and abdominal discomfort, including sharp pains down into my groin. I also get urinary tract infections quite a lot due to this. I had a staph B infection and an E Coli infection.

One using urodynamics and two using one of those little probe things like an ultrasound but without the video monitor screen.

The first post void volume was 140 ccs.

The second using the probe was 88 mls.

and the third and last one that I had yesterday using the probe was 298 mls.

It seems to be that my bladder retention is getting worse as I did notice my symptoms are quite bad now.

The nurse who did my test yesterday looked concerned and said that it needs sorting out by my urogynaecologist.

I am having a lot of trouble doing intermittent self catheterisation and am finding it too painful for me.

I wondered if anyone else may have had this problem or a similar problem and what sort of treatment they had as I cannot carry on doing intermittent self catheterisation as I cannot cope with doing it or the discomfort of having to push it in and take it out. It doesn't hurt once in though.

Is there any other treatments that may be of help?

Many thanks

Kind regards

Niad

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
    dolores79
    (female)

dolores79 HB User
    Re: Chronic urinary retention

Hi Niad,
    I have the same kind of problem compounded by the fact that I had a stroke 6 years ago so that would explain my pelvic floor malfunction and was referred for biofeedback. Haven't started it yet (once a week for 6 weeks at least), but I'm really optimistic. The urologist also put me on a very low dose of Macrobid, every night for 52 days at least and that alone has helped a lot. My urodynamics test showed that sometimes I void completely and others hardly at all. The cytoscopy showed an area of infection/irritation/inflammation really close to the urethra, that's why I was put on antibiotics. The CAT scan was clear for blockage, tumors, etc.
    I have had more UTI's than I care to remember this past year and 2 kidney infections..Lots of pelvic pain and pressure, blood in my urine, urinary frequency and urgency.
    I am hopeful it can get better and don't have to live the rest of my life like this.
    Hope you find satisfying answers soon!
    BTW I'm 37 years old.. Had one vaginally delivery (9.2lbs) and one c-section (10.7)
    Do you have a neurological disease that would explain the retention, due to muscle/nerves miss communication? Or do you know why you are retaining urine?.
    Dolores

Last edited by dolores79; 04-16-2009 at 08:44 PM.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
    Kertie446
    Inactive
    (female)

Kertie446 HB User

Hi, Dolores and thanks for your message.

I am not sure what has caused my bladder problem but I have a feeling it could well be my spine as I have mild degeneration all the way up, from my neck to my lower back, some at grade 3 with a schmorls node on my lower back.

Unfortunately spine surgeons didn't seem at all phased by the fact I have degeneration which started at 17 and now after receiving only physiotherapy and no other treatments, I now have a bladder problem. I know that spines and bladder problems go hand in hand and am extremly surprised that the spine surgeons I saw took no notice of this, even though it can and is a medical emergency.

I feel It may well be too late to reverse or even get my bladder function back as it has been left since May last year and has now gotten worse.

I have been told that I have what is called 'lazy bladder' where my bladder does not completely empty it all out and always leaves some in. Though they do not know why I am retaining urine and I don't really think they will until they start to do some more thorough tests.

I have not had a cystoscopy. I have heard they are quite painful in general so perhaps may not go down the route of the cystoscopy but am not sure yet.

I also have not had any MRIs or a CAT scan.

I cannot take any oral antibiotics due to chronic stomache and bowel problems caused by taking so many and have now been advised against it by my consultant.

I have decided that I do not feel happy doing self catheterisation and don't know what other alternatives there are? Do you know of any alternatives? I cannot cope anymore with this and cannot even sleep due to frequency - good job my bedroom is next to a bathroom! My lack of sleep is giving me other problems, icluding severe fatigue and is interfering with my studying as I am so tired from this. I need something doing that will ensure I can get a good sleep by not having to get up all the time to go to the toilet.

I did find that this problem started at its worst after a physiotherapy session for my spine as I was doing lower abdominal pumps where I had to pull my stomache (bit where my belly button is) /lower abdomen in and then let it go again. About 24/48 hours after this session is when it all went wrong with my bladder and it has never been the same ever since. I wished I had not bothered attending that physio session as I have a feeling that is part of what has made my bladder go like this. I have heard it is possible to traumatise the bladder and bruise it, making it retain urine. Is it possible that physiotherapy could have caused this?

It is just awful and I also am hopeful it will get better but I really don't know and sometimes I lose that hope. At least on these boards there are some that are going through similar situations and we all understand how each other feels and can share our feelings.

Hope you get better soon.

Kind regards

Niad

Old 04-22-2009, 04:24 AM   #4
    Kertie446
    Inactive
    (female)

Kertie446 HB User

I would appreciate it greatly if anyone has any helpful advice or experience of other treatments apart from intermittent self catheterisation as I am beginning to suffer greatly with this condition and it is just getting worse.

Are there actually any other suitable treatments for chronic urinary retention because I cannot cope with the self catheterisation as it is just too painful and hurts my urethra?

Kind regards

Niad

Old 04-24-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
    riggiefan1
    (female)

riggiefan1 HB User

I have chronic retention and after a period of unsucsessful self intermittent catheterisation have now had a supra pubic catheter for 4 years. This involves a small operation sometime done under local anaesetic other times general. The catheter is placed directly through the abdomen into the bladder. Catheter will need to be changed every 8 - 12 weeks. Hope this helps.
    Annie

Old 04-28-2009, 03:57 AM   #6
    Kertie446
    Inactive
    (female)

Kertie446 HB User

Hi, Annie and thanks for your message.

Sorry I am a little late in getting on here as I had a problem with the internet as it was down for quite a while.

I found your information and experience very helpful and informative.

I would certainly consider a suprapubic catheter as the intermittent catheterisation is quite painful to perform.

I have heard that sometimes there are side effects with suprapubic catheters, such as leaking out of the urethra.

Is it possible to actually seal the urethra up to prevent this as the urethra would no longer be in use as far as I know?

Sorry for all the questions.

Many thanks.

Kind regards

Niad

Old 04-29-2009, 06:03 AM   #7
    Kertie446
    Inactive
    (female)

Kertie446 HB User

I've just seen my consultant today and he said that he wants to stretch my urethra as he wonders if this may help but cannot guarantee it will work. He said the only other treatment choice is medication therapy (drugs) for this chronic retention. He hasn't offered me the suprapubic catheter but I don't know why?

Why is he only mainly going for drug therapy? Will these meds have risks in the long term? I am not a person that likes or is keen on taking drugs as they usually have side effects and my stomache is never very good with oral meds.

Is there an alternative way to take the meds?

I'm not very optimistic right now...

Many thanks to anyone that can help.

Kind regards

Niad

Old 04-29-2009, 07:30 AM   #8
    riggiefan1
    (female)

riggiefan1 HB User

Hi Niad,
    It really sounds as though you need more investigations as to what is causing your retention. I wouldn't worry about having a cystoscopy especially if they offer to do it under a general anaesthetic. I have had a few and no side effects.
    The only problem with a supra pubic catheter is that they can make some people more prone to infections. I have never leaked through my urethra, and do not know of anyone who has had theirs sealed. I see you are from the UK, there is a good website that I am a member of called the bladder & bowel foundation. The members there share their long term experiences of dealing with problems such as ours.
    Annie

Old 04-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #9
    Kertie446
    Inactive
    (female)

Kertie446 HB User

Hi, Annie.

Thanks for your message.

So far the investigations I have had are urodynamics, cystoflowmetry (where I had to wee into a toilet that measures my flow rate), ultrasound, post void residuel with both urodynamics and ultrasound probe thing.

Yes, he has offered to do cystoscopy under general anaesthetic. I am in a way glad as I have heard this test is quite painful.

I do wonder though if there are any other tests that may be available.

Unfortunately I am getting quite a few infections since having this chronic retention anyway as I now have up to 300mls post void residuel left in my bladder even after going to the toilet. I feel that a suprapubic catheter may well be the only way forward if he cannot help it by stretching my urethra.

I never look forward to bedtime anymore as I never really ever get a good night's sleep since this bladder problem as I am up and going to the toilet at least 4 times, maybe six times on a bad night. This is now having an effect on my emotional and mental, including physical wellbeing in general as I am always fatigued.

I have seen and had a look at the Bladder and Bowel Foundation website and think it is good and have found it very helpful in general.

Is there a particular page where I can read about these people's experiences as I have not heard about taking drugs helping to completely cure chronic retention.

Do you know of anyone who has only been prescribed drugs to help cure their retention and has it worked as my consultant said he cannot guarantee that any of them will work. Is it worth taking drugs as they will have side effects and I have got a problem with my stomache and it being sensitive to oral antibiotics and other meds?

Many thanks and kind regards

Niad

Closed Thread