It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Urology Message Board

  • Urethral Reconstruction

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 02-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
    swolfe3051
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    swolfe3051's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2010
    Location: Boston, Ma
    Posts: 2
    swolfe3051 HB User
    Urethral Reconstruction

    Hello everyone,

    I am a new to this message board and would like to take a minute and introduce myself and tell a little bit about a surgical proceedure I just went through on January 29, 2010.

    My name is Scott and I reside in Boston, Ma I am 42 years old and I was diagnosed with urethral strictures way back to the year 2000. I went to a urologist due to the fact my voiding process was very slow and caused concern to me! I was told to see a surgical specialist and that I did by seeking a very much sought after surgeon.... Leonard Zinman MD, out of the Lahey Clinic in Burlington Ma. I was luck to get a appointment so fast (1 month) I did all the usual urological testing (uroflow, cystocipy, dilation etc) the dilation was done in 2005 and worked for about 4.5 years until my voiding process was very slow and long with a lot of spraying! Every time I had to use the bathroom I made it a point to always sit down to urinate so that I would not urinate on myself! This caused a lot of mental duress on me and I would also have to push to finish urinating! This was a huge weight on my chest and luckily I never had any pain to accompany my stricture!! I then decided it was time to contact Dr. Zinmans office again before something very serious happened to me, I explained my symptoms to the nurse and I got into see Dr Zinman in about 3 weeks. I did the Uroflow, bladder ultrasound and a very embarrassing exam as well as speak to the Dr about my symptoms and what was bothering me! Dr. Zinman then said what I was scared to death to hear..... "SURGERY" it seemed like my world just stopped!! I knew very well what the surgery entailed and yes it scared me to death!! I got the surgery date booked for 3 weeks out and finally had a urethral stricture reconstruction and buccal mucosa graft surgery on January 29, 2010 for a 8 inch piece of urethral right below the bladder. I was in the hospital for 4 days on strict bed rest and I did leave the hospital with a catheter that I will probably have removed sometime around February 20, 2010.. I wish I could give more advice on how strong the flow is or how my mouth healed up... but I can not at this time due to the short time frame that this surgery was performed... I will tell you all that I do feel pretty good and my legs and hips do hurt from being in the stirup type leg harness they use to do the surgery, my surgery was a 10hr surgery! I will keep updating this post as time passes to keep everyone who is researching and or debating if this procedure is right for you!! If you would like to ask any questions please feel free and I will answer them as best I can..

    thanks for reading this
    Scott

     
    The Following User Says Thank You to swolfe3051 For This Useful Post:
    bigdeal (12-17-2010)
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 05-25-2010, 07:02 AM   #2
    Rudy315
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    Rudy315's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2010
    Posts: 1
    Rudy315 HB User
    Re: Urethral Reconstruction

    Scott

    I am a 59 year old male from New Jersey that had one stage urethral reconstruction done on Dec 22, 2009 in New York City. I have had some complications during the healing process and was wondering how are you mending and feeling currently? Thank You

    Rudy

    Last edited by moderator2; 05-25-2010 at 03:55 PM. Reason: please do not post your email address

     
    The Following User Says Thank You to Rudy315 For This Useful Post:
    swolfe3051 (01-25-2011)
    Old 07-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
    Seabee23
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    Seabee23's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2010
    Posts: 1
    Seabee23 HB User
    Re: Urethral Reconstruction

    Curious who you went with in NYC (Amrenakas?) and if so what are your complications? And how was he?

    Thanks for any insights

     
    Old 08-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
    bmwducati2
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    bmwducati2's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Location: New Bedford, MA USA
    Posts: 2
    bmwducati2 HB User
    Re: Urethral Reconstruction

    I may have some better history for this thread. I had the urethral stricture reconstruction and buccal mucosa graft surgery done at Lahey Clinic in Burlington in Feb. 2005. I was directed there by my local urologist, and did quite a bit of research. I had read a lot about Dr. Zinman, and was hoping to be able to meet with him. But Dr. Zinman was booked for nearly a year, but I was referred to his protoge, Dr. John Stoffel. I met with Dr. Stoffel, and was immediately impressed with him and his success record. Dr. Stoffel did the surgery, and I couldn't have been more impressed with him. I was in the hospital following the surgery for 1 week. The most difficult part was the movement-free recovery in the hospital. Fortunately, the hospital has Wi-Fi! Dr. Stoffel was attentive daily, and was just amazing. Dr. Zinman also visited me often, and told me "Stoffel has gotten better at this procedure than me!" The recovery continued at home, with 3 more weeks with the catheter. At the end of the three weeks, the catheters were removed, and the results were amazing. Since then, in 2007, I had to go back for a "tune up", to clear away some scar tissue. But other that that, the results have been great. This is a difficult procedure, and should not be taken lightly. Dr. Stoffel is now a world leader in this area. Don't mess around with other surgeons. Zinman and Stoffel are the best, based on everything I have read, and other urologists I have had conversations with. And I believe that to be true, based on my experience.

     
    The Following User Says Thank You to bmwducati2 For This Useful Post:
    swolfe3051 (01-25-2011)
    Old 08-26-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
    OutsideTheLines
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    OutsideTheLines's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2009
    Posts: 6
    OutsideTheLines HB User
    Re: Urethral Reconstruction

    BMW--Good to hear about a successful outcome. I think that even in the best of hands, the outcome is highly dependent on the severity of the stricture. What was the length and location of your stricture, and its underlying cause, if you know? Thanks.

     
    Old 08-26-2010, 02:43 PM   #6
    bmwducati2
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    bmwducati2's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Location: New Bedford, MA USA
    Posts: 2
    bmwducati2 HB User
    Re: Urethral Reconstruction

    I don't remember the length of the stricture, but it was severe, and long. It was located extremely close to the prostate, which complicated things even more. We never determined exactly what the cause was, but it was sumised that it may have been caused by numerous injuries from moto-x racing when I was younger, and being cathaterized at a very young age. It was a problem that I had for as long as I can remember, but it just kept getting worse, litle by little. Where are you located OutSidetheLines???

     
    Old 10-01-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
    Darjo
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    Darjo's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Location: Italy
    Posts: 5
    Darjo HB User
    Re: Urethral Reconstruction

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmwducati2 View Post
    I don't remember the length of the stricture, but it was severe, and long. It was located extremely close to the prostate, which complicated things even more. We never determined exactly what the cause was, but it was sumised that it may have been caused by numerous injuries from moto-x racing when I was younger, and being cathaterized at a very young age. It was a problem that I had for as long as I can remember, but it just kept getting worse, litle by little. Where are you located OutSidetheLines???
    did you get a tubularitazion or just a patch applied?

     
    Old 01-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #8
    swolfe3051
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    swolfe3051's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2010
    Location: Boston, Ma
    Posts: 2
    swolfe3051 HB User
    Re: Urethral Reconstruction

    Rudy,

    Sorry for the very long delay in responding!! Life has just been busy!! LOL! anyway sorry to hear you have Strictures! they are very bothersome! I had my reconstruction January 29, 2010 and by Dr. Zimnan whom just happens to be one of 7 specialists in the country who does this type of surgery, I had a pretty quick recovery period in regard to the healing up of the Buccal graft and the Urethral surgery however the only thing that still bothers me is after you are done urinating, you need to "Milk" the urethra of any urine left in the urethra. This is a thing I brought up to my Dr and was told that it is a downside of the surgery caused by over correction! This is something I learned to live with and accept. The Buccal Graft healed up great but still swells every now and then no biggie in my book.. the last complication is again every now and them the scrotum hurts due to the surgery (nerves) but I am told it will eventually go away. I look at it this way the good definately outway the bad in this case and would not think twice about this surgery if it needed to be done.. I don't have any other complications thus far... I have read about impotence and the such, but in my case absolutely not.. sorry for the big reply, I attempted to shorten it the best I could!!

    Thanks For asking!! I hope your situation improves for you!!

    best of luck,
    Scott

     
    Old 01-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
    Darjo
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    Darjo's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Location: Italy
    Posts: 5
    Darjo HB User
    Re: Urethral Reconstruction

    guys..I found out something that's unbelievable and I started this treatment...I don't know if it's gonna work in, I got the first 2 application (one a week)
    It's an ayurveda treatment (ayurveda is indian medicine)..but I already feeling a little bit better..< edited >
    I found out this doctor that is specialized in ayurveda as well..it's all natural, with a special oil just put inside the urethra that heal the tissue..

    look for an ayurveda doctor, better if he's a normal doctor as well and speak with him...he gave me before a therapy with natural medicine to prepare the organism and after a mounth I started the treatment..good luck

    Last edited by hb-mod; 01-26-2011 at 12:56 AM.

     
    Old 02-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
    tucsonon
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    tucsonon's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: San Diego
    Posts: 5
    tucsonon HB User
    Re: Urethral Reconstruction

    How did this work out for you? I am a week into my recovery after a 1 stage urethoplasty. I also have the same questions as you. My main concern right now is the swelling. I am still swollen, scrotum and base of penis, not overly swollen but swollen. I was operated last Tuesday so I am exactly seven days into it. My only other problems is erections at night I cant control them even with the amy nitrate. So I wake up with blood from broken scabs etc. I am healing and my penis does not look really red or anything like that but it is pretty ugly as they used the skin from the penis for the graft and so I have stitches on the sides and underneath from the incisions. And lastly the blood and scab give off a slightly foul odor after I shower which Im guessing is because of the blood and what not. I am going for a follow up tomorrow so I will ask all of the questions over. Lastly yellowish discharge from around catheder? I was told this is normal and to increase my fluid intake. Thanks

     
    Old 02-09-2011, 05:46 AM   #11
    Darjo
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    Darjo's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Location: Italy
    Posts: 5
    Darjo HB User
    Re: Urethral Reconstruction

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tucsonon View Post
    How did this work out for you? I am a week into my recovery after a 1 stage urethoplasty. I also have the same questions as you. My main concern right now is the swelling. I am still swollen, scrotum and base of penis, not overly swollen but swollen. I was operated last Tuesday so I am exactly seven days into it. My only other problems is erections at night I cant control them even with the amy nitrate. So I wake up with blood from broken scabs etc. I am healing and my penis does not look really red or anything like that but it is pretty ugly as they used the skin from the penis for the graft and so I have stitches on the sides and underneath from the incisions. And lastly the blood and scab give off a slightly foul odor after I shower which Im guessing is because of the blood and what not. I am going for a follow up tomorrow so I will ask all of the questions over. Lastly yellowish discharge from around catheder? I was told this is normal and to increase my fluid intake. Thanks
    I think the doctor could use a buccal mucosa to do the uretroplasty cause it's absolutely better then the penis skin..anyway it's normal you're having these problems..you got the surgery one week ago. don't worry because you're gonna recover your erection and the "look".
    The treatment I'm having is completely natural..before I've done a cure with natural products to recover the normal function of my body (breath, sleep, ecc because everything have an influence) then I started the treatment, the doctor with a catheter let a particular oil go inside the urethra and leave it inside for 15 min.. this oil have the capacity to act on the stricture getting it softer. once a week for minimum 5 weeks maximum 11.
    This monday I felt very very good after the fourth, today still like before but however I felt improving the steam, don't need to contract the muscle to start urinating. sorry for my english it's long time I dont practice...

     
    Old 02-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #12
    TexasJack
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    TexasJack's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2009
    Location: texas
    Posts: 9
    TexasJack HB User
    Re: Urethral Reconstruction

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swolfe3051 View Post
    Hello everyone,

    I am a new to this message board and would like to take a minute and introduce myself and tell a little bit about a surgical proceedure I just went through on January 29, 2010.

    My name is Scott and I reside in Boston, Ma I am 42 years old and I was diagnosed with urethral strictures way back to the year 2000. I went to a urologist due to the fact my voiding process was very slow and caused concern to me! I was told to see a surgical specialist and that I did by seeking a very much sought after surgeon.... Leonard Zinman MD, out of the Lahey Clinic in Burlington Ma. I was luck to get a appointment so fast (1 month) I did all the usual urological testing (uroflow, cystocipy, dilation etc) the dilation was done in 2005 and worked for about 4.5 years until my voiding process was very slow and long with a lot of spraying! Every time I had to use the bathroom I made it a point to always sit down to urinate so that I would not urinate on myself! This caused a lot of mental duress on me and I would also have to push to finish urinating! This was a huge weight on my chest and luckily I never had any pain to accompany my stricture!! I then decided it was time to contact Dr. Zinmans office again before something very serious happened to me, I explained my symptoms to the nurse and I got into see Dr Zinman in about 3 weeks. I did the Uroflow, bladder ultrasound and a very embarrassing exam as well as speak to the Dr about my symptoms and what was bothering me! Dr. Zinman then said what I was scared to death to hear..... "SURGERY" it seemed like my world just stopped!! I knew very well what the surgery entailed and yes it scared me to death!! I got the surgery date booked for 3 weeks out and finally had a urethral stricture reconstruction and buccal mucosa graft surgery on January 29, 2010 for a 8 inch piece of urethral right below the bladder. I was in the hospital for 4 days on strict bed rest and I did leave the hospital with a catheter that I will probably have removed sometime around February 20, 2010.. I wish I could give more advice on how strong the flow is or how my mouth healed up... but I can not at this time due to the short time frame that this surgery was performed... I will tell you all that I do feel pretty good and my legs and hips do hurt from being in the stirup type leg harness they use to do the surgery, my surgery was a 10hr surgery! I will keep updating this post as time passes to keep everyone who is researching and or debating if this procedure is right for you!! If you would like to ask any questions please feel free and I will answer them as best I can..

    thanks for reading this
    Scott
    I went through the same surgery with the reconstruction grafts being placed in the head of my penis and on the urethia a few centimeters into my scrotum area. I came out of it afterwards with a fire hose according to the doctor with a maximum value on the meter at 24. There are a couple of problems since the surgery which was 18 months ago. When I stand up to urinate I drip from the bottom of the urethia opening while the stream is flowing. The doctor gave me a longer slit than normal as part of the reconstruction. The other problem is that I can only go about 4-6 weeks before my urethia starts closing off at the two reconstruction sites. I have to cathorize myself about 6 inchs up my urethia to open it back up until the next time. Its painless and takes a couple of minutes but well worth getting the flow going again at maximum pressure. I spoke to the doctor about it and he said that he doesn't feel its warranted to go back in and mess with the scar tissue from the last surgery. He said its better to leave it alone and go through the cathorizations for the rest of my life. He also said that the dripping is something I'll also have to live with... I usually just sit down to urinate or hug the toilet so closely that the stream and drip both go into the toilet. I hope this information is helpful. Jack

     
    Old 02-25-2011, 06:02 PM   #13
    rewrew
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    rewrew's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: perth
    Posts: 4
    rewrew HB User
    Re: Urethral Reconstruction

    Hello,
    I need a urethroplasty for a BXO stricuture located at the tip of my penis. I am especially concerned about the cosmetic result. Are there any other guys who have had this for a stricture in the distal urethra esp one close to the tip. If so what does the penis look like after healing, normal?, is it obvious that you have had penis surgery etc?
    Many thanks
    Andrew

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    post radical retropubic prostatectomy urethral strictures feb2409 Cancer: Prostate 6 03-05-2011 06:05 PM
    urethral syndrome cause & cure trsmart Urology 0 04-25-2009 08:21 PM
    Urethral Stricture - Buccal Mucosa Graft Surgery ennio Urology 66 03-30-2009 09:28 AM
    urethral stricture urology Urology 1 02-26-2009 07:19 PM
    Urethral Pain Syndrome Hope. It may not be a UTI. . . Rani Urology 0 12-24-2007 02:46 PM
    Damage to lateral ligament reconstruction jen9803 Foot & Ankle Problems 2 02-11-2007 07:12 PM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:34 AM.





    © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!