It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board

• Very High Urine Post Void Residual Why? What to do?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #31
    albedo1
    (male)

albedo1 HB Useralbedo1 HB Useralbedo1 HB Useralbedo1 HB User
    Re: Very High Urine Post Void Residual Why? What to do?

I did my first physiotherapy session (for relaxation of pelvic muscle). Therapist did first a test by introducing a probe in the rectum and checking a real time curve on the screen showing my ability to relax or contract the muscles "down there" (sorry my total lack of anatomical knowledge, need to study that!) relaxation being a prerequisite to a better voiding. I had little challenging to get the curve on the screen as low as possible but we noticed I can be trained to do so. Message was to take time, relax, image to "open the door" before any attempt to void. Also recommendation was to regularly go, suggestion was every 2.5 hours in my case (another doc suggested 3 hours).

I am still practicing my "procedure". I also continued to research on this and found several studies and links re Crede and Valsava cautioning about effectiveness and secondary effects (I am not allowed to post the links here).

Last edited by albedo1; 08-24-2013 at 07:57 AM. Reason: add crede and valsava

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #32
    lexer
    (male)

lexer HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by albedo1 View Post
    I did my first physiotherapy session (for relaxation of pelvic muscle). Therapist did first a test by introducing a probe in the rectum and checking a real time curve on the screen showing my ability to relax or contract the muscles "down there" (sorry my total lack of anatomical knowledge, need to study that!) relaxation being a prerequisite to a better voiding. I had little challenging to get the curve on the screen as low as possible but we noticed I can be trained to do so. Message was to take time, relax, image to "open the door" before any attempt to void. Also recommendation was to regularly go, suggestion was every 2.5 hours in my case (another doc suggested 3 hours).

I am still practicing my "procedure". I also continued to research on this and found several studies and links re Crede and Valsava cautioning about effectiveness and secondary effects (I am not allowed to post the links here).
    Albedo1
    You said your prostate obstructed your urethra and caused constriction which caused urine retention. Did you have prostate enlargement? When did you first start noticing problems?
    The size of the prostate doesnt mean obstruction, lots of times a small prostate can just grow inward.
    Did you have a weak urine flow? Was your urine stream split or did it spray?
    Why didnt your doctor perform your surgery using the green light laser?
    Do you have " dry ejaculation"?

Last edited by lexer; 08-24-2013 at 03:24 PM.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:33 AM   #33
    albedo1
    (male)

Did PVR test at 9 months from TURP. This time I was unhappy. I drank more than normal before going to doctor. An emergency with another patient made that I had to wait longer time before my visit, resulting in increased stress. At ultrasound my bladder had ~600mL. I first went and voided ~300mL and then tried to void the rest using my procedure. I could not relax at all and despite trying nothing much was going out (maybe 50mL). Result: my PVR after the process was as high as 250-300mL. As I learned from my physiotherapy, relaxation is key and applying gentle pressure while urinating. Doc decided to see me again in a couple of months with empty bladder this time (voided at home). I think this is important. Immediately when back home after the visit I was relaxed and emptied very well. I should have a personal ultrasound device to test by myself.... Sorry for this diary, I hope this helps others.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:39 AM   #34
    bhp02
    (male)

bhp02 HB Userbhp02 HB Userbhp02 HB Userbhp02 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by albedo1 View Post
    Did PVR test at 9 months from TURP. This time I was unhappy. I drank more than normal before going to doctor. An emergency with another patient made that I had to wait longer time before my visit, resulting in increased stress. At ultrasound my bladder had ~600mL. I first went and voided ~300mL and then tried to void the rest using my procedure. I could not relax at all and despite trying nothing much was going out (maybe 50mL). Result: my PVR after the process was as high as 250-300mL. As I learned from my physiotherapy, relaxation is key and applying gentle pressure while urinating. Doc decided to see me again in a couple of months with empty bladder this time (voided at home). I think this is important. Immediately when back home after the visit I was relaxed and emptied very well. I should have a personal ultrasound device to test by myself.... Sorry for this diary, I hope this helps others.
    so how are you doing now ???

Old 11-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #35
    albedo1
    (male)

Tks bhp02, happy to see you are still following this. I will measure again PVR later in December and will see then. For the time being I am trying to be regular, i must say difficult sometime when intensively traveling, meeting etc... when taking time, relaxing i feel to void well.

And can you share on your side?

Old 02-02-2014, 05:42 AM   #36
    albedo1
    (male)

I just had my urologist check up at 1 year from surgery.

Overall it looks pretty good !

Test was done after I fully voided (with my "procedure") and taking time without stress (at home and at the location restroom, btw, when traveling I am using a small retractable plastic glass which helps). Relaxing really looks key in my case and points to many, many years of bad habit. Full voiding was after about 2L drinking during past 10 hours and including all liquids, probably going 6-7 times prior to test.

Firstly my feeling was of being "light". Before the ultrasound, the doctor pressed just under the umbilici and asked if I had feeling to urinate. I said no and he noticed he can press without encountering much resistance indicating a good voiding. Ultrasound confirmed this with PVR or ~30 mL. She also looked at kidneys and did a DRE. Everything looked normal. Flow looks good.

In conclusion, TURP still looks was a good decision, side effect acceptable (retrograde ejaculation) and physiotherapy helped to learn how to relax and fully void, at east try, when going.

Closed Thread

Tags
    bladder, bph, prostate, pvr