It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board

• Frequent urination

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
    mcdgary
    (male)

mcdgary HB User
    Frequent urination

Since I had CABG 4 (quad by-pass heart surgery) 10 years ago I have (too) frequent urinations. These aren't just a false urges, but the real McCoy. At night I have to get up 4-5 times. When I get up in the morning usually around 6 AM I have to go, afterwards in less than 6-7 minutes the urge is there again. I have measured typical urinations in the daytime to be usually 5-6 ounces. Last week on a long trip that required a full days drive I was within 20 miles of home and on a long bridge tunnel system in heavy 4-lane traffic when the urge hit (big-time.) I had made a rest stop about 40 miles back, but the urge was back. There was no way to stop and it could no longer be held. As I entered the tunnel I managed to shift a newspaper under my bottom in order to maybe not soak the seat. Fortunately, I had a large mouth empty water bottle, which I managed to arrange (I thought.) In the long tunnel and very heavy traffic at 55 mph I gave it a go, which was about 65% successful. My meds are Simvastatin, Metoprolol, Welchol and Tamsulosin (Flomax.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
    lexer
    (male)

lexer HB User
    Re: Frequent urination

Your age ?
    Is your prostate enlarged at all?
    Is your stream strong or weak?

Old 08-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
    mcdgary
    (male)

mcdgary HB User

My age is 75. My prostate is examined periodically and physician has never indicated that is overly enlarged, but I assume at my age it is enlarged. The stream is not weak, fairly normal. During the night I go and since it has disturbed my sleep I may read and bingo, although I had just urinated 10 minutes ago, the urge is there again. Usually the volume is surprisingly comparable to the earlier amount. It seems to never fail when I get up (for the day) in the morning I have a normal urination as most adults and it seems I completely emptied my bladder. In a very short while I'm back to urinate again, which is not a false urge, but real.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
    lexer
    (male)

lexer HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcdgary View Post
    My age is 75. My prostate is examined periodically and physician has never indicated that is overly enlarged, but I assume at my age it is enlarged. The stream is not weak, fairly normal. During the night I go and since it has disturbed my sleep I may read and bingo, although I had just urinated 10 minutes ago, the urge is there again. Usually the volume is surprisingly comparable to the earlier amount. It seems to never fail when I get up (for the day) in the morning I have a normal urination as most adults and it seems I completely emptied my bladder. In a very short while I'm back to urinate again, which is not a false urge, but real.
    I have the same damn issue. I have prostatitis, which is inflammation of the prostate. No pain like most get, just an irritated feeling. Because of where the prostate is located, any type of feeling in that area will give you an urge to urinate.
    You may have that even though urine samples come back negative which mine always do.
    Does your urine spray at all or split?

Old 08-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
    mcdgary
    (male)

mcdgary HB User

No spray or split, usually normal (btw I'm not familiar with those two terms.) It's often less pressure toward the end. My general practitioner prescribed two different drugs on two different occasions, which had very little effect, and the matter was more or less dropped between us. Later when I brought the problem up again he, I believe, went back to one of the earlier drugs. Whatever, it's Tamsulosin (generic Flomax.) I thought why not give it a good try. I've taken it 2-3 years now, but really it's no silver bullet, probably a waste of money. Tamsulosin certainly looks like a candidate drug when one looks it up on the Internet. On occasions where I have had surgery for pre-cancerous skin cancers and Hernia surgery and when I have to name drugs I take they ask is the Tamsulosin for an enlarged prostate. I hardly no how to anser.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
    Charlesm
    (male)

Charlesm HB User

You may want to ask for a referral to a urologist.

Just a thought.

Closed Thread

Tags
    bladder, urination