It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board

• Recurrant Burning After 2 UTIs?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
    nelle0hikari
    (female)

nelle0hikari HB User
    Recurrant Burning After 2 UTIs?

Hello all,

I've been looking around on these boards and found some useful advice, but I figured I'd post and see if anyone else has had problem similar to mine.

About 2-2.5 months ago I got a pretty bad UTI (lots of blood and pain, sick on the couch for several days, abdominal pain). I went to the dr and the UTI test was positive so they treated me with 5-day antibiotics. I felt back to normal after that and was fine.

Then the next month I got another UTI, about 2 days after my period ended. This one wasn't as bad and I caught it earlier (dr thinks it might've been lurking bacteria from the last infection). They tested me again and did a culture and treated me with a 7-day antibiotic. Finished those, but I was still feeling the burning and urgency even after the 7 days, so they put me on another stronger antibiotic (levaquin I think) for 10 days. I was still feeling some moderate burning after that and went to the dr again. She tested my urine, which was clean, and tested me for yeast/bacterial vaginosis, also clean.

I started taking a constant dose of AZO UTI pain relief and IB profen, thinking that maybe everything was still just irritated after all that trauma. The next day I started feeling much better, and kept feeling better (almost no symptoms at all) for about 4-5 days.

Then at church yesterday we had communion and I had a tiny sip of wine. That afternoon-evening I felt the mild-moderate burning and urgency again. I'm thinking it just irritated me again?

I'm taking D-mannose, a probiotic, and AZO & IB profen as needed. Drinking only water and trying to eat mild foods. I haven't been able to have sex with my husband for almost 2 months now. I want my life back!

Anyone else experiencing a similar issue? I'm hoping it's just irritation that will go away, but I'm scared it could be interstitial cystitis? It's been about 2-3 weeks since I stopped the antibiotics. I've heard marshmallow root helps to heal everything too? Should I go to a urologist? Any advice would be so so appreciated!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Recurrant Burning After 2 UTIs?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nelle0hikari View Post
    Hello all,

I've been looking around on these boards and found some useful advice, but I figured I'd post and see if anyone else has had problem similar to mine.

About 2-2.5 months ago I got a pretty bad UTI (lots of blood and pain, sick on the couch for several days, abdominal pain). I went to the dr and the UTI test was positive so they treated me with 5-day antibiotics. I felt back to normal after that and was fine.

Then the next month I got another UTI, about 2 days after my period ended. This one wasn't as bad and I caught it earlier (dr thinks it might've been lurking bacteria from the last infection). They tested me again and did a culture and treated me with a 7-day antibiotic. Finished those, but I was still feeling the burning and urgency even after the 7 days, so they put me on another stronger antibiotic (levaquin I think) for 10 days. I was still feeling some moderate burning after that and went to the dr again. She tested my urine, which was clean, and tested me for yeast/bacterial vaginosis, also clean.

I started taking a constant dose of AZO UTI pain relief and IB profen, thinking that maybe everything was still just irritated after all that trauma. The next day I started feeling much better, and kept feeling better (almost no symptoms at all) for about 4-5 days.

Then at church yesterday we had communion and I had a tiny sip of wine. That afternoon-evening I felt the mild-moderate burning and urgency again. I'm thinking it just irritated me again?

I'm taking D-mannose, a probiotic, and AZO & IB profen as needed. Drinking only water and trying to eat mild foods. I haven't been able to have sex with my husband for almost 2 months now. I want my life back!

Anyone else experiencing a similar issue? I'm hoping it's just irritation that will go away, but I'm scared it could be interstitial cystitis? It's been about 2-3 weeks since I stopped the antibiotics. I've heard marshmallow root helps to heal everything too? Should I go to a urologist? Any advice would be so so appreciated!!
    A urologist would be a good idea. You may need a cystoscopy to examine the bladder lining. Certain foods will irritate the bladder if it is IC- caffeine, citrus, Vit C, spicy and acidic foods, like tomatoes, vinegars in salad dressings, pickles, olives, etc. It may just be residual inflammation from the UTI's, but I would get it checked out. Urinating after sex and wiping front to back helps prevent many UTI's.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
    nelle0hikari
    (female)

nelle0hikari HB User

I went to the urologist. Didn't have the best experience with him--he was very rude, rushed, and dismissive. He didn't even talk to me about my symptoms, just suggested a TON of different tests. He did do an ultrasound of my bladder and didn't see anything wrong.

HOWEVER, I am starting to feel some relief. I've been taking D-Mannose with CranActin supplements, and just started Marshmallow Root (caplets & tea). I'm also taking Prelief before meals to counteract any irritating acid. I'm hoping the relief continues and these supplements help me to heal. I haven't had to take my AZO pain reliever since starting the marshmallow root.

The following user gives a hug of support to nelle0hikari:
    movielover40 (11-21-2013)
    Old 11-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User

If they test your urine and it's fine you should be ok..

I drink cranberry juice every day because I was getting bladder infections.

Best of luck.

Closed Thread

Tags
    burning, interstitial cystitis, painful urination, uti