It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board

• Frequent urinating

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-09-2014, 10:40 PM   #1
    Chavey
    (male)

Chavey HB User
    Frequent urinating

Getting up every hour is no fun.
    I am taking Tamsulosin CR .4mg with Detol LA 4mg.
    I have tried Oxybutynin .5mg but no help.
    Bladder ultrasound showed a volume of 300ml before emptying and 100ml.retained after urinating.
    Advil 400 seems to stop urges the best yet...1600/day.
    I need advise!
    Chavey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2014, 12:52 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Frequent urinating

Welcome to the boards. In men, the two most common issues that cause urinary frequency and retention are enlarged prostate gland (in middle age or older) or inflammation in bladder, causing irritation, spasm. The fact that Motrin helps the most suggests inflammation, and your residual urine is higher than it should be, which reduces the bladder capacity, making urination more frequent. The disturbance of sleep is serious, so this needs to be investigated and treated according to cause. A prostate ultrasound would help evaluate if there is enlargement, and cystoscopy, a look inside the bladder with a scope, would detect inflammatory changes. The antispasmodics you take usually help with spasms which cause urgency and frequency. Sometimes foods will aggravate the inflammation, such as caffeine, alcohol, citrus, Vit C, and acidic foods like vinegar and tomatoes. It may be worth eliminating those to see if it helps. If prostate is significantly enlarged, surgery to reduce the size may be needed, as obstruction at the bladder outlet will cause the residual to increase and may predispose to infection. You should be under the care of a urologist, who can do these special exams and treatments.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:40 PM   #3
    Chavey
    (male)

Chavey HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
    Welcome to the boards. In men, the two most common issues that cause urinary frequency and retention are enlarged prostate gland (in middle age or older) or inflammation in bladder, causing irritation, spasm. The fact that Motrin helps the most suggests inflammation, and your residual urine is higher than it should be, which reduces the bladder capacity, making urination more frequent. The disturbance of sleep is serious, so this needs to be investigated and treated according to cause. A prostate ultrasound would help evaluate if there is enlargement, and cystoscopy, a look inside the bladder with a scope, would detect inflammatory changes. The antispasmodics you take usually help with spasms which cause urgency and frequency. Sometimes foods will aggravate the inflammation, such as caffeine, alcohol, citrus, Vit C, and acidic foods like vinegar and tomatoes. It may be worth eliminating those to see if it helps. If prostate is significantly enlarged, surgery to reduce the size may be needed, as obstruction at the bladder outlet will cause the residual to increase and may predispose to infection. You should be under the care of a urologist, who can do these special exams and treatments.
    I am 66 years experienced; had one surgery for bulging L4-L5 in 97.I am also dealing with neurological problems including poor balance, dizziness, poor coordination and gait. I take sertraline for depression and my nerves..75mg/day.
    A bladder ultrasound revealed the volume.... full and retained ...which seems to be smaller each day. Dr. thinks the prostate is moderately enlarged....normal for my age.
    Ultrasound of bladder showed confirmation of that at first look. Urine tests are normal.
    But the decreased amount smells strong..maybe on account of meds.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:00 AM   #4
    JinL
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

paint the area, about 6" square, above the penis with a 50/50 mixture of lugols iodine & grape seed oil. let air dry for about 5 minutes. Try this twice a week to see if it helps.

Also get your testosterone & estrogen tested. The E2 is probably high & the T low.

Closed Thread

Tags
    frequent urination