It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board

• Question about Father's Cold/Cough and Flu Vaccine

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-19-2019, 10:12 AM   #1
    jetski76
    (male)

jetski76 HB Userjetski76 HB User
    Question about Father's Cold/Cough and Flu Vaccine

Hello,

Thank you for your time!

My father is 81 years old and lives alone in India. Early this week, he mostly recovered (there was still some residual cold/cough) from a cold/cough viral infection that lasted about a 1 1/2 months. He always sees his pulmonalogist when he has cough/cold and his medications were a mix of an antibiotic, anti-histamine and cough syrup.

On Tuesday, he was given the flu shot. Since yesterday evening, he has been having moderate cold, cough and his voice is somewhat cracked. He is able to do his daily activities. He is currently taking an anti-histamine tablet and cough syrup that was prescribed by his pulmonalogist for another week on Tuesday. He has contacted his pulmonalogist about his new symptoms.

I wanted to ask if anyone here has experienced something similar? Are the new symptoms my father is having since yesterday a recurrence of the viral infection or maybe a reaction to the flu vaccine ?

I would be grateful for your answers.

Thank you,
    Zent

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2019, 10:41 AM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Question about Father's Cold/Cough and Flu Vaccine

Dear jetski76,

Flu shots only affect a specific strain of flu. However if a type is going around, it is good to be proactive and get a shot for that type of flu before we get it. But after we have the flu, a shot will not stop it.

Antibiotics don't kill viruses,but they may prevent secondary infection so I am not saying don't get the shots. If your father does not have a secondary bacterial infection, dad may only need plenty of rest, liquids, fruit and vegetables and to let himself heal. If we over dose on anti-histamine or cough syrup it can cause reverse symptoms. Make sure that he is staying warm enough and getting plenty of fluids and
    rest.

Is there anyone there that can look in on him and help him stay on track? Is he reporting a fever or other symptoms? He needs to let his doctor know.

It's so awful to have loved ones so far away and we can't be there to see what is going on.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:56 AM   #3
    jetski76
    (male)

Hello yayagirl,

Thank you so much for such a detailed reply!!

Other than the symptoms of cough and cold, he is okay. He has no fever or tiredness and is able to go about his daily activities. His diet is mostly wheat bread, brown rice, veggies, nuts and fruits. I will ask him to take additional fluids. He usually walks in the morning and evening and uses his exercise bike twice a day. He has stopped all of that and is resting well. Yes, he has friends who check on him, but as you indicated, the ideal thing would be to have family who live with him.

Is there a blood test to find out about a secondary bacterial infection?

Thank you,
    Zent

Old 01-19-2019, 11:37 AM   #4
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Hello jetski76,

You are very welcome.
    It has to be very hard to be so far away.

Unless he has a consistently high fever or coughs up bloody or yellow sputum I would not be concerned about secondary infection. If he does have a fever, then he 'might' have a need for medical treatment. But if there is no bacterial infection, then rest and not over-exerting is likely the solution.

The symptoms you describe seem normal for recovering from a virus. Viruses cause fevers, too. The high body heat is the body doing the work of fighting any type of infection. So if he does not have a fever, he may just need enough rest to get over the symptoms.

Walking is healthy as being active helps clear the lungs, and helps the body heal and digest. As long as he stays warm and does not make himself over tired he should be able to get out and walk some.

Do you get a report from his friends?

Old 01-19-2019, 12:22 PM   #5
    jetski76
    (male)

Hello yayagirl,

Thank you again for all the valuable information! I will let my father know.

Regards

Old 01-20-2019, 12:02 PM   #6
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi jetski....what is the ongoing reason for your father seeing a pulmiologist?

q

Old 01-20-2019, 02:38 PM   #7
    jetski76
    (male)

Hello Quincy,

He had cough/cold in the last week of November.

Thank you

Old 01-21-2019, 12:19 PM   #8
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Has your dad had a chest xray?
    q

Old 01-21-2019, 01:32 PM   #9
    jetski76
    (male)

Hello Quincy,

Not yet. I talked with the Pulmonalogist today. He told me that my father had an upper respiratory infection on Nov 30 that had resolved after a course of antibiotics (10 days) in December, although he had residues of it. So he was talking anti-histamines and cough syrup during mid-December to mid-January.

He started his morning walks this week. The Pulmonalogist thinks maybe the dew in the morning made the residual infection come back again. He has prescribed another week of medications (antibiotics, anti-allergy, a tablet for better absorption of the antibiotic and cough syrup) If it does not resolve, he will do chest x-ray and blood tests next week. My father has been seeing the same Pulmonalogist for 10 years now. He has these infections 2-3 times a year.

His life is fairly routine - morning and evening walks and exercise bike (stopped now until he recovers), a diet of wheat bread, brown rice, fruits and veggies and nuts and attends professional meetings 2-3 times a week in a cultural center nearby. In the last week of November, he had been to a film festival for 7 hours each day for 3 days and I think that's where he picked up the infection. He will be careful in the future.

I would be grateful for any comments given the above background.

Thank you,
    Zent

Old 01-21-2019, 05:17 PM   #10
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Your dad's been through a lot...it's good he's starting to get back into his routine,.

q

Old 01-21-2019, 05:41 PM   #11
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Zent....Some things going around seem to have taken quite a hold on many this year...so far, I havent gotten sick ...waiting....but hopeful I wont.

Regarding the flu shot and possible reaction...I think it could rev up the immune system and exacerbate something else ongoing. I cough for a bit after I get it as well get a sore neck. I do take an antihistamine and tylenol before I get it.

I hope the additional antibiotics will get your dad back to feeling normal soon. The coughs, however, can be residual for many months afterward...like a cycle of inflammation and reaction over and over. My longest lasted over 3 months, and it was exhausting.

There are other options for treatment such as inhalers and singulair (which works differently than antihistamine). Hope more testing gives better insight.
    Sounds like the pulmonologist is committed.

Let us know how he is doing.

q

Old 01-21-2019, 09:15 PM   #12
    jetski76
    (male)

Hello Quincy,

Thanks again for your reply! I will certainly keep the forum posted. I am glad you are doing well!!

Many regards,
    Zent

Old 01-22-2019, 09:01 AM   #13
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks. Stay well,
    q

Reply Reply