It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board

• Which Vaccine? Should I Get 2nd Opinion?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-08-2021, 08:54 AM   #1
    notafan
    (male)

notafan HB User
    Which Vaccine? Should I Get 2nd Opinion?

Hi everyone. Iíve come a long way with the vaccine and it appears the decision is going to be made for me as Iím a contractor for the government. I am on an MAOI inhibitor, I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, and I also have a genetic mutation which makes me slightly more likely to get blood clots (hereditary thrombophilia). Granted, I only have 1 of the 2 genes that make me more prone, I am more likely nonetheless.

I have a lot of anxiety as well (you can probably tell) and if I have to go forward with the vaccine, Iím trying to think of what would be the best choice. It appears there is a slight chance of blood clotting with the J&J shot, however the risk of the Pfizer shot appears to be anaphylaxis.

I know I shouldnít expect to encounter problems with these shots, but Iím just trying to make an educated decision in a crazy situation. Given with anaphylaxis, the only treatment is epinephrine and I canít have that because of the MAOI inhibitor, Iím thinking the lesser of the two evils appears to be the J&J shot.

Does any of this logic sound crazy? Anything else I should consider? I did see my primary care doctor and he is for me getting the shot, however I think he would have been for me getting the shot regardless of any scenario. At least thatís how I feel anyway. I do trust my doctor, but I'm wondering if perhaps I should get a second opinion as I feel like I'm anything but 'normal'.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2021, 02:59 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Which Vaccine? Should I Get 2nd Opinion?

THe only thing I see about MAOIs and the Covid vaccines it a time lapse between the two. For example, I had to wait 7 days before and after my allergy shots for the vaccine. I also had a epidural and had to wait 14 days. The Pfizer reaction applies to those who have anaphalaxis from other vaccines and you don't state that you've had. So it would seem as long as you ask how long between the meds, you can can get it.

Old 10-10-2021, 08:55 AM   #3
    notafan
    (male)

notafan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    THe only thing I see about MAOIs and the Covid vaccines it a time lapse between the two. For example, I had to wait 7 days before and after my allergy shots for the vaccine. I also had a epidural and had to wait 14 days. The Pfizer reaction applies to those who have anaphalaxis from other vaccines and you don't state that you've had. So it would seem as long as you ask how long between the meds, you can can get it.

Hi there. I'm not aware of having to stop taking the MAOI before the shot. At least I've not been advised of that. True, I've not had anaphalaxis from any other shot, so it's not likely to happen.. it's just a bad thought given there would be no chance of reversal.

Old 10-10-2021, 10:42 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Well, I saw no other caution on the MAOIs...so....and if you have anaphalaxis the docs are there with a shot to counteract it. I've had it so I know. (not for this shot but penicillin)

Reply Reply