It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board

• Covid 19 Vaccine and acetaminophen

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-20-2021, 12:51 AM   #1
    gwb123
    (male)

gwb123 HB Usergwb123 HB User
    Covid 19 Vaccine and acetaminophen

I have been having problems with a Muscle sprain in my shoulder and have been taking ibuprofen 400 mg daily for a week in the morning. I went for my Moderna vaccine shot booster shot yesterday. I had taken the Acetaminophen about 2 hours before the shot. I only found out later that it might not be advisable to take ibuprofen like motrin before the vaccine shot because it can reduce the effectiveness of the vaccine. I am wondering now If I made a big mistake and is there any information about it available. It seems if an over the counter pain medication would inhibit the vaccine or reduce its effectiveness there would be more information and warnings about it to the public.

Last edited by gwb123; 11-20-2021 at 09:42 AM. Reason: wrong word

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2021, 07:05 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Covid 19 Vaccine and acetaminophen

In the beginning they suggested taking before and then switched to maybe not unless you were taking it regularly for a medical condition (arthritis, etc.). Now they are saying wait to see if you have symptoms and then take it. I doubt you did any harm though.

Old 11-20-2021, 09:40 AM   #3
    gwb123
    (male)

Hi Titchou,
    Thanks for the reply. It would be good to know for sure but maybe the science has not been done to know one way or the other. The only study I have seen is in a small study done on children. It seems it is not a problem to take OTC pain medications like ibuprofen or acetaminophen after the injection but there was a reduced immune response to vaccine if it was taken prior to getting the shot.

Old 11-20-2021, 05:20 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I took it before on the first one and not at all with the second or booster. Really no reactions any of the times other than injection site sore for a few hours all 3 times. I had the Pfizer.

Old 11-20-2021, 05:37 PM   #5
    gwb123
    (male)

Hi Titchou,

I had Pfizer for the first two shots. I chose Moderna for the 3rd booster shot. (full dose, not the half dose they are using now for the 3rd booster shot) I was advised by doctor that it is better protection, not a lot but somewhat better, for the delta variant strain that is circulating now and is more transmissible.

Old 11-20-2021, 06:48 PM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

here in the states we have to get the booster that's same as the original vaccinations we received so I know nothing about that.

Reply Reply