It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board

• pertissus (Whooping Cough) shot at 2 months

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-23-2003, 06:48 AM   #1
    bellestar
    Veteran
    (female)

bellestar HB User
    Exclamation pertissus (Whooping Cough) shot at 2 months

Hello there! I am a new mom and my daughter is 2 months old. I took her in yesterday to have her first shots and the Dr. wanted to give her the DTaP shot and I told him no b/c I have brother whom has seizure disorder and his Dr. said to not let the other family members have the pertessis (whooping cough) shot b/c it can cause seizures especially when it runs in the family. I explained this to the Dr. and he kept fighting me on it and telling horrible stories about whooping cough. I kept telling no she can not have it b/c of my brother and he just kept pushing but I finally said no, thats the way it is or we will leave and he had the nurse give her the DT shot (without pertessus). Does anyone know anything more about the pertessus shot? I have seen several sites that say DO NOT Give the DTaP shot if anyone in the family has had a seizure.
    Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2003, 07:08 AM   #2
    kiki lou

kiki lou HB User
    Good move on not allowing the pertussis component of the shot. However, they gave the DT shot, which is usually reserved for people 7 years and older---and contains thimerasol. Thimerasol contains MERCURY and is extremely toxic, and is linked to autism and other serious health issues. Please do some research on vaccines before proceeding with more for your baby.
    Good luck.

kiki

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 10-23-2003).]

Old 10-23-2003, 12:13 PM   #3
    bellestar
    Veteran
    (female)

bellestar HB User
    OH NO! Thank you so much kiki! I WILL!

Old 11-14-2003, 02:55 PM   #4
    jenny1973

jenny1973 HB User
    pertusis shot

I have a baby too and when I took her in for her 2 month shots she had a horrible reaction. She cried uncontrollably for 5 hours. I thought she was going to have a heart attack she was so worked up. I called the dr. twice during the episode and they just said giver her motrin and deal with it. The next day she was fine, but at 4 months (the other day) I took her in for another dose of shots and was really concerned about her reaction. I have two other kids who had no problems with their shots. My doctor said he would be right back he had to look at something. He said that he did not want to giver her the P (pertusis) in the DTP just the DT. We talked about the chances of getting this illness which can be deadly. I was concerned since there was an outbreak about a year ago in a town about 30 miles from me. We decided it would be better to not give the vaccine. So from now on she doesn't get it and he will sign it off come school. If for some reason there ever is an outbreak hopefully we realize it right away and vaccinate her I guess. Kindof nerve racking. Apparantly this particular shot seems to cause bad reactions in many children. Scary!! By the way..after her 4 month shots without the Pertusis she was fine. No reactions at all.

Old 11-14-2003, 03:20 PM   #5
    pandagirl

pandagirl HB User
    I just want to say - don't panic.

I have never had the pertussis vaccine as there is a family history of asthma. I have had every other vaccine offered to me over the years, which is a fair few as I am in healthcare and I have never suffered any adverse reactions.

I'm not saying that they don't happen, I just think that with increased media coverage, there is a general negative attitude towards vaccination, which is a shame more than anything else.

Of course the choice whether or not to vaccinate is up to the parents, so good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 12-22-2003, 07:36 PM   #6
    Karla
    Inactive

Karla HB User
    Re: pertissus (Whooping Cough) shot at 2 months

I have epilepsy and was never told for my children not to have the pertusis shot. That is very interesting. Two of my children had no problem with the DPT shot. One of my children did. He cried alot and quit breathing. We still are not sure if it was the shot or sids but the dr and I didn't want to take any chances and he was given the DT shot the next two times. I was told that pertusis outbreaks usually occur at college time and to stay on top of any possible outbreaks.

Old 01-04-2004, 09:39 PM   #7
    coley91

coley91 HB User

Just so you all know. My son did have the shot for whopping cough. Thank GOD!!!! Literally. When he was a year old, even though he had the shot. He contracted whooping cough. He was one sick little boy. If he wouldnt of had that shot, he probably wouldnt be with us today. It was that bad. He couldnt catch his breath when he coughed... and it was awful. I would STRONGLY recomend every mother consider getting this shot for your child. There are more chances of your children contracting things such as whooping cough again these days.

Nicole

Old 03-15-2004, 10:11 PM   #8
    Halo31

Halo31 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coley91
    Just so you all know. My son did have the shot for whopping cough. Thank GOD!!!! Literally. When he was a year old, even though he had the shot. He contracted whooping cough. He was one sick little boy. If he wouldnt of had that shot, he probably wouldnt be with us today. It was that bad. He couldnt catch his breath when he coughed... and it was awful. I would STRONGLY recomend every mother consider getting this shot for your child. There are more chances of your children contracting things such as whooping cough again these days.

Nicole
    If your child had the vaccination and he caught the disease anyway, doesn't that mean the vaccination didn't work? We have a seven year old daughter who we decided not to vaccinate. We spent so many hours and months researching all of the studies worldwide, we finally came to the decision not to vaccinate. My mother was not vaccinated as a child and she did catch whooping cough at age 3. It was an awful ordeal, but she is a healthy 57 year old adult today. She opted to have me vaccinated as a child and to this day regrets it. My immune system has always been compromised. I have had surgery to correct scoliosis and many sinus surgeries throughout my life. I am not saying that all of my problems were related to the vaccines, but I do feel they contributed to my problems. Although my mother thought at the time she was doing what was in my best interest, in retrospect, she said she has a new found appreciation for her mother who did not allow her to be vaccinated. So, I am not trying to sway anyones opinion. I feel that vaccinating a child is a very personal choice that needs to be made by parents who educate themselves as much as they possibly can! I just had to respond to the fact that your child did get the disease after he was vaccinated. It just makes me wonder why you didn't question why the vaccine didn't prevent the illness.

Halo

Old 01-05-2005, 06:38 AM   #9
    nyteshade
    (female)

nyteshade HB User
    Angry Re: pertissus (Whooping Cough) shot at 2 months

Hello, This is my first time here and I can tell you as a mom of a 10 year old daughter with seizures due to the pertussis shot DO NOT DO IT!!!!
    My daughter Brittant had the DPT shot at 3 months old as she was supposed to. In the paperwork they (the doctors) give you as the parent There should not be a reaction after 7 days of administering the shot. Well, 9 days later I found my baby girl almost dead in her crib first thing in the morning. If it had not been for my step-father I honestly thought I would lose her. She is now 10 as of the 29th of this month and still has subclinical seizures. She is incredibly intelligent however, she is brain damaged from her ears back bilaterally. Keeping a job for me is almost impossible, she misses alot of school, constant EEG's, and putting her on med's I have a better chance at seeing god in his sandles. She just went to her 4th EEG yesterday and the results I wont see for about 2 weeks. The government makes us give our children these shots have no reprocussions at all and we have to spend our lives wondering if our children will ever have even a "semi-normal" life. I'm sorry to remble but, as 1 mother to alot of others...Please don't allow anyone to administer that shot to your child. Whether seizures are hereditary or not...They are not in my family and now my daughter has to live with this for the rest of her life.

Old 01-23-2005, 06:46 PM   #10
    Gitti
    Inactive
    (female)

Gitti HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bellestar
    Hello there! I am a new mom and my daughter is 2 months old. I took her in yesterday to have her first shots and the Dr. wanted to give her the DTaP shot and I told him no b/c I have brother whom has seizure disorder and his Dr. said to not let the other family members have the pertessis (whooping cough) shot b/c it can cause seizures especially when it runs in the family. I explained this to the Dr. and he kept fighting me on it and telling horrible stories about whooping cough. I kept telling no she can not have it b/c of my brother and he just kept pushing but I finally said no, thats the way it is or we will leave and he had the nurse give her the DT shot (without pertessus). Does anyone know anything more about the pertessus shot? I have seen several sites that say DO NOT Give the DTaP shot if anyone in the family has had a seizure.
    Thanks!
    First of all, congratulations on standing your ground and protecting your child. You are the mother and if something goes wrong with the child, if she has a severe reaction, you are the one who let the doctor give the injection.

He goes home to his healthy family and then you can deal with the sick or damaged child. Therefore it must be your decision alone, yours and your husbands, not the doctor's.

Do a search about the pertussis vaccine and see that it is most likely the cause of SIDS.

In Japan when the government told all mothers not to vaccinate their children with pertussis vaccine until they were two years of age their SIDS rate dropped over night. Then when they were coerced by the pharma to start vaccinating sooner, the SIDS rate came back up.

Look at all vaccines. Go on other boards. Read books. A very good book is by Jamie Murphy, do a search, you'll find it. Read it cover to cover before you go back to the doctor.

BTW, you don't have to go to well baby visits. They are mostly designed to trick you into giving your child vaccines. If your baby is healthy, she doesn't need to go to the doctor and you won't have the hassle.

Kids who are not vaccinated at all have almost no allergies and no asthma.

Closed Thread