It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Vaccination & Immunization Message Board

  • national obsession with flu vaccine

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 12-26-2003, 12:08 AM   #1
    novembre
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    novembre's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2003
    Posts: 319
    novembre HB User
    national obsession with flu vaccine

    Does anyone find it strange that the flu vaccine is suddenly a really big thing? And how suddenly the flu season is major news? I dunno, the flu always seemed to me like a really bad cold that lasts about a week, and I don't understand the big panic about it. I know a few people have died of it this year, but doesn't that happen every year? Why is it such a big story now? I see no need to vaccinate anyone aside from people who really need it.

    I was almost convinced to get the vaccine myself this season, but I was denied it because I have a contact dermatitis reaction to thimerasol (this was discovered during a patch test to determine something else; I've never had a bad reaction to a vaccine in my life, including any kind of skin reaction.). Then I realized that I've never gotten the flu vaccine, and I've had the flu a few times and it's not a big deal even though it sucks. Not worth all the hype.

    I know a lot of you in this forum are totally against vaccination due to bad reactions in you and your children, but, putting that aside, what are your thoughts on this seemingly sudden "fad" with giving everyone a flu vaccination and freaking out when someone gets the flu?

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 12-26-2003, 04:26 AM   #2
    girlygirly
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: May 2003
    Location: Goshen, New York
    Posts: 1,123
    girlygirly HB User
    Re: national obsession with flu vaccine



    I think the flu shot just like any immunization is all about the money $$$$$$$$$$.
    It gets people inot the doctors offices, 1st you have a copay and then you pay for the shot. I find all of these shots to be sooooo obnoxious and they are a real fraud. I agree...I had the flu 2 times in my life, what's the big deal. Some people don't take care of themselves and push themselves when they are sick...those are the ones who get complications most of the time(for those who want to rip me apart please note..I said most of the time).
    Most Children who die from the flu have parents who don't take the kids to the doctors and don't provide the rest and nutrition that is needed to sway off the flu or these kids already have other medical problems.

    The panic is about $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

     
    Old 12-27-2003, 11:16 AM   #3
    Ashton'sMommy
    Senior Member
     
    Ashton'sMommy's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 279
    Ashton'sMommy HB User
    Re: national obsession with flu vaccine

    I cannot respond for the "normal" population of people because I do not get the flu vaccine normally but this flu season I am pregnant and in my 3rd trimester.

    Because I am at increased risk for complications resulting from an influenza infection due to my pregnancy I chose to get the flu shot this year UNDER THE ADVICE OF MY DOCTOR.

    It is very important ( I feel ) that pregnant women get the flu vaccine because of the complication risks if she were to develop the flu. Including phneumonia ( spelling )
    Also, having a flu shot will decrease the chances your new baby will get sick once he or she is born. Afterall, without a flu shot, you can get sick with the flu and then pass the infection to your new baby.


    OTHER THAN THAT.. .I would not have gotten the flu vaccine.
    But.. I think that the flu vaccine is out there for people whos lives are disrupted by the flu.
    Unless you have had the flu I dont think you have the ability to downplay such a horrible virus. The flu is a bad thing to have.

     
    Old 12-27-2003, 10:10 PM   #4
    novembre
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    novembre's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2003
    Posts: 319
    novembre HB User
    Re: national obsession with flu vaccine

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ashton'sMommy
    I think that the flu vaccine is out there for people whos lives are disrupted by the flu.
    Unless you have had the flu I dont think you have the ability to downplay such a horrible virus. The flu is a bad thing to have.
    I understand why it's out there, and I understand that high risk people (including pregnant women and people with weakened immune systems) should get the vaccine. I was asking why basically everyone is freaking out about the flu now. I believe girlygirly answered that one.

    And both of us have had the flu more than once. I got it twice during my senior year of high school and had to cancel my voice audition for Eastman because of it. However, for most people, the flu- although bad- isn't a huge deal, and it's because of all this hype that there's a shortage of the vaccine this year.

    I also won't be surprised if, because of the vaccine, the flu starts getting harder to manage. Isn't this year's flu especially bad and mutated very quickly? Makes me wonder.

     
    Old 12-28-2003, 12:26 PM   #5
    JeaneM
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    JeaneM's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2003
    Location: Midwest, USA
    Posts: 213
    JeaneM HB User
    Re: national obsession with flu vaccine

    (Quote)

    I was almost convinced to get the vaccine myself this season, but I was denied it because I have a contact dermatitis reaction to thimerasol (this was discovered during a patch test to determine something else; I've never had a bad reaction to a vaccine in my life, including any kind of skin reaction.). Then I realized that I've never gotten the flu vaccine, and I've had the flu a few times and it's not a big deal even though it sucks. Not worth all the hype.
    I know a lot of you in this forum are totally against vaccination due to bad reactions in you and your children, but, putting that aside, what are your thoughts on this seemingly sudden "fad" with giving everyone a flu vaccination and freaking out when someone gets the flu?[/QUOTE]



    I never thought I would find 'another' who is allergic to thirmersol because of contact dermatitis. Well I am, and I went straight to the CDC for an answer. I emailed them direct and got an answer back. They said because it is so diluted, that they felt I would not be bothered by it in the vaccine. So I took their letter to my Doctor, for she wouldn't prescibe it to me after I told her of my thirmersol allergy. She still refused, so I went above her, and someone else ok'd it. I got the shot last year and to my amasement, it was the best shot I have ever gotten. So swelling, soreness, achiness....NOTHING.... So I went again this year and got the shot again. Felt the usual tenderness at the entry site, but nothing else. So the Center of Disease Control was correct. I will now get the shot every year. I am on Medicare, and it's paid for anyway, and I don't get any reactions from it, so I feel that I am doing what I can to protect myself.

     
    Old 12-28-2003, 05:33 PM   #6
    kiki lou
    Senior Member
     
    kiki lou's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2003
    Posts: 190
    kiki lou HB User
    Re: national obsession with flu vaccine

    You do know that thimerosal is 50% mercury, the second most toxic substance known to man? It all adds up!

     
    Old 12-28-2003, 05:55 PM   #7
    JeaneM
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    JeaneM's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2003
    Location: Midwest, USA
    Posts: 213
    JeaneM HB User
    Re: national obsession with flu vaccine

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiki lou
    You do know that thimerosal is 50% mercury, the second most toxic substance known to man? It all adds up!
    It's good to know it's 50%, where can I go to look for that percentage?
    Seems way out of range, to me. JMHO.

     
    Old 12-28-2003, 07:04 PM   #8
    novembre
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    novembre's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2003
    Posts: 319
    novembre HB User
    Re: national obsession with flu vaccine

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiki lou
    You do know that thimerosal is 50% mercury, the second most toxic substance known to man? It all adds up!
    While it's true that vaccines do contain a small amount of mercury (that is, the ones that contain thimerosal), for certain people it's more important that they don't get the diseases they're vaccinated against. My mom has a weakened immune system due to chemotherapy and radiation, so she gets the flu vaccine too. She's also a schoolteacher so being around those kids every day puts her at high risk for catching the flu during flu season. I would never tell her not to get this vaccine. She's had pneumonia already and that was bad enough. For most healthy adults (aside from the elderly), though, it's not necessary.

    Last edited by novembre; 12-28-2003 at 07:05 PM.

     
    Old 12-29-2003, 08:23 AM   #9
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Ratatosk's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Location: Midwest
    Posts: 2,006
    Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
    Re: national obsession with flu vaccine

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by novembre
    ...For most healthy adults (aside from the elderly), though, it's not necessary.
    My child has chronic health problems and his doctor instructed anyone who is in contact with him on a regular basis get the flu shot to help prevent him from getting it.

    We've had flu shots offered at work for years and I've noticed since getting them that the number of colds I get each year has decreased dramatically. Last year I didn't get a flu shot and got several colds, sinus infection, bronchitis.

     
    Old 12-30-2003, 12:09 AM   #10
    mjmaciver
    Veteran
     
    mjmaciver's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2003
    Location: CANADA
    Posts: 360
    mjmaciver HB User
    Re: national obsession with flu vaccine

    Hi I disagree with whoever it was that said that it's all about the money, because it is just as big of a hype in canada where healthcare is free. the flu shot is not completely just for your protection, it's to protect other people who wouldn't be able to fight the flu themselves ex. old, young, immune system disorders. 10% of the people who get the flu will die from it but only because it leads to greater complications because their immune system is not strong enough. So, if us healthy people are protected from some strains of flu, then there is less chance of weaker people contracting it. The #1 cause of the spread of illness, is ignorance. People who are deathly ill, but still wanna go to school, or to the bar, just take it easy, not everyone can fight off the flu as well as you can.

    Cya guys later
    __________________
    Each Rep Is Right, Each Set Right, Each Workout Right, Each Meal Right And Each Night's Sleep Right

     
    Old 12-30-2003, 08:14 AM   #11
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Ratatosk's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Location: Midwest
    Posts: 2,006
    Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
    Re: national obsession with flu vaccine

    I work with several people who opted not to get the flu shot. Fine -- that's their choice. But what I take issue with is that these same people always show up to work sick, one never washes her hands when she leaves the bathroom.

    Last week, a part-timer, who doesn't get sick leave, showed up to work with the FLU!!! She coughed all over everyone, used our phones, kept digging into the holiday goodies in the break room.

    I just wish people would realize that sick leave isn't just so you can stay home and recover. It's also to prevent people from spreading their germs to others. This whole flu thing scares the heck out of me. People are dying from it.

     
    Old 12-30-2003, 09:42 PM   #12
    novembre
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    novembre's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2003
    Posts: 319
    novembre HB User
    Re: national obsession with flu vaccine

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ratatosk
    I work with several people who opted not to get the flu shot. Fine -- that's their choice. But what I take issue with is that these same people always show up to work sick, one never washes her hands when she leaves the bathroom.
    It boggles my mind that people who are sick have no idea how to deal with their illness. Staying home from school/work when you have the flu should be common sense - as you said, not just for yourself, but so you don't spread it to others - yet just about every day on the local news they announce these brilliant new ways to prevent spreading it, like by washing your hands and not sneezing all over things.

    One thing that did anger me is that, while staying home from school was fun in elementary school, in high school it means quickly getting bogged way down with missed work and showing back up to class a week later with no clue what's going on. I hated missing high school days because I'd be so stressed out about what I was missing.

     
    Old 01-03-2004, 12:27 PM   #13
    sailmaven36
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Posts: 60
    sailmaven36 HB User
    Re: national obsession with flu vaccine

    [QUOTE=girlygirly]

    I think the flu shot just like any immunization is all about the money $$$$$$$$$$.
    It gets people inot the doctors offices, 1st you have a copay and then you pay for the shot. I find all of these shots to be sooooo obnoxious and they are a real fraud. I agree...I had the flu 2 times in my life, what's the big deal.



    The big deal is that in an average year, 36,000 people die from the flu. This year the flu season started earlier, and they identified the strain as being one that is more virulent than usual.

    As far as money is concerned, most health plans now wave copays for vaccinations, and the reimbursements that Doctors get for giving the shots barely cover the cost of the medication, much less the paper work and time spent on them. When your doctor suggests the vaccine, he is suggesting it for your well being. If you question his veracity, then you should seek another Dr.

    Last edited by sailmaven36; 01-03-2004 at 12:28 PM.

     
    Old 01-04-2004, 09:19 PM   #14
    sailmaven36
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Posts: 60
    sailmaven36 HB User
    Re: national obsession with flu vaccine

    I agree with you 100 percent.

    I believe that advertising medication to the general public is wrong.

    Overprescribing medication is very much a result of our litigious society. A Dr. does not want to be sued because of the 1 in a million case when he didn't belive medication was necessary, and it turned out that it was.

    Overutilization of Antibiotics is a very real problem. Walk into a Dr's office with a staph infection and you are likely to come out with a prescription for Cipro, a very expensive antibiotic that can fight staph infections but is designed to be used as the one of the only oral antibiotics that can fight psudomonas infections. Unfortunatley its' wide use for things other than fighting psudomonas infections have decreased its' effectiveness for psudomonas. Moreover, a prescription for keflex would cost less than a tenth of what the cipro costs, and wuld be more effective for staph.

    Why do Dr's prescribe it this way? The pharmaceutical company's push their brand name drugs because they are much more profitable, as well as the fact that patients only want the newest drugs that they see advertised.

    Dr.s and patients have to work together to change this thinking.

    But all of this does not discount the fact that much of what is prescribed is very much needed . Nutrition only goes so far. As a nation we ate much healthier 75 years ago, although we lived an average of 15 years less. This longer lifespan is directly related to medications that combat health problems that use to cause early deaths. Vaccines are one example of many

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    h1n1 after vaccine jasron Swine Flu (H1N1) 16 01-02-2010 07:15 AM
    Lupus and H1N1 Vaccine (I can't believe this)... TisJustMe Lupus 10 11-20-2009 09:33 PM
    How To prevent? Vaccine too dangerous? xxnonamexx Swine Flu (H1N1) 11 11-20-2009 05:05 AM
    What is your child's obsession? MrsMantis Autism Spectrum 16 09-05-2007 09:18 AM
    HPV vaccine smackliet Human Papillomavirus (HPV) 31 08-02-2007 09:30 PM
    Hep-B vaccine cause seizures? SentenceDoing Vaccination & Immunization 4 03-22-2007 09:36 AM
    the chicken pox vaccine!!! Chrissi Children's Health 11 08-01-2005 09:39 PM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:13 PM.





    © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!