It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board

• Flu Vaccine Reaction?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-31-2004, 02:07 PM   #1
    SmithJ
    (male)

SmithJ HB User
    Flu Vaccine Reaction?

Apologies but not sure where to post this but believe that it may have been an adverse reaction to something in the flu vaccine. I am a 25 year old male and would appreciate any help or comments with this problem.
    Never had any particular health problems before.

Nov 2002 – Became extremely unwell after having a flu vaccine (to which I didn’t produce any antibodies). After a seven day gap of feeling extremely tired and spaced out I began to suffer from severe rigors, nausea and vomiting (felt like an extreme version of flu) and had the most appalling black circles around my eyes. These symptoms continued for 6 months before I felt well enough to be able to return to work.

During the last eighteen months I have continued to work 70+ hours a week and while improving I have continued to have reoccurring periods of symptoms as described above. As well as always having dark circles around my eyes the symptoms tend to follow a pattern as follows (lasting, at present, 24-48h):
    Painful neck and feeling of light headedness (eyes look very ill)
    Nausea
    Slightly elevated temperature
    Chills (rigors)
    Exhaustion and return to normality

These symptoms have gradually become more sporadic and less severe as time has progressed and between episodes I am able to do considerable exercise (e.g. mountain climbing). I can find no specific correlation between anything I do / eat and these episodes except a distinct increase in the likelihood of them occurring following a period of rest (e.g. a “lazy day”) and the possibility of easing symptoms through exercise. I have consulted numerous doctors about the condition and while all are in agreement that I am (esp. at times) extremely unwell they have yet to find anything specifically wrong. I would really appreciate anybody’s thoughts on the matter as I doubt my situation is wholly unique.

Many thanks

James

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2005, 12:23 PM   #2
    kiki lou

kiki lou HB User
    Re: Flu Vaccine Reaction?

Sorry to hear about your reaction, but can't say I'm surprised. I would encourage you to file a vaccine injury report through NVICP. Also, you might wish to explore "mercury toxicity" to see if any of those symptoms sound familiar, as the flu shot contains mercury and this could be a problem, especially if you eat a lot of fish or have silver fillings in your mouth.

I guess it goes without saying to NEVER have ANY vaccine again in your life. To do so would be exceedingly risky, IMO.

kiki

Old 01-03-2005, 01:11 PM   #3
    saraht1
    Inactive
    (female)

saraht1 HB User

My sister had a very similar reaction to the flu vaccine.

Kiki is right when she says not to have the vaccine again. I am sure that wherever you got vaccinated probably told you that. They usually do tell you that if you have a bad reaction to it to never take it again.

Old 01-23-2005, 06:54 PM   #4
    Gitti
    Inactive
    (female)

Gitti HB User

James,

Did you see what they injected with that vaccine???

Mercury, Formaldehyde, Antifreeze, Aluminum, growth hormones, and check out what vaccines are grown in.

Do a search on vaccines and ingredients.

I am so sorry that you are having a severe reaction. I do hope you report it. Unfortunately if it were your child, let's say an 18 or 20 months old, he would not be able to tell you about such a reaction and yet, he would be suffering continuously.

Parents inject into their kids and then get angry when the kids are fussy and constantly crying. Is it any wonder?

Please get informed before you do any more injecting. We have enough young men in the military that are vaccine damaged.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-23-2005 at 07:15 PM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules

Old 03-03-2005, 07:15 PM   #5
    1970_Torch
    (male)

1970_Torch HB User
    Question Re: Flu Vaccine Reaction?

I just came on this board and was reading through all the threads.

Just wondering, how are you doing?

Old 03-03-2005, 07:58 PM   #6
    nastabasta
    Inactive
    (female)

nastabasta HB User

i have had the flu vaccine for the last 3 years and never experienced any side effects. my doctor told me that as long as i am not allergic to eggs, i will be fine (because they culture the vaccine in egg shells.)

Old 03-21-2005, 06:54 PM   #7
    1970_Torch
    (male)

1970_Torch HB User

From the CDC :

http://www.cdc.gov/nip/news/iom-hepb-5-2002/iom-QA.htm

“Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) also results from a loss of myelin. The disorder causes temporary loss of body movement and sensation, usually starting at in the lower parts of the body and moving upwards. Most people who experience GBS recover within 6 to 9 months.

Certain vaccines, such as influenza (flu) vaccine, have been linked to an increased risk for GBS. “

Old 03-24-2005, 04:42 PM   #8
    Piranna65
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Piranna65 HB User

Well I did read an artical today one of those write in aritcals that are national people write in our paper just so happens to print them.

Dr. Donahue is his name. And he said there is no way you can get the flu from the flu vaccine since the virsus that is in there is 100% "dead as a dodo" was his words. He said you can get red and sore/swollen and that you can get sick but it doesnt mean its the flu.

Old 03-27-2005, 04:05 PM   #9
    1970_Torch
    (male)

1970_Torch HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Piranna65
    Well I did read an artical today one of those write in aritcals that are national people write in our paper just so happens to print them.

Dr. Donahue is his name. And he said there is no way you can get the flu from the flu vaccine since the virsus that is in there is 100% "dead as a dodo" was his words. He said you can get red and sore/swollen and that you can get sick but it doesnt mean its the flu.
    That Dr. Donahue wasn't real smart.

Since viruses are not 'alive' they also can't be 'dead'.

Was he a 'whole' doctor or only 'half' a doctor?

Old 03-28-2005, 12:26 PM   #10
    Piranna65
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Piranna65 HB User

how arent they "alive" you dispose of them somehow right. Something "kills and destroys" them right"

You dont get the flu from getting the flu shot itself. You can still end up getting the flu even with it. but the shot itself doesnt make you sick. Yeah you'll have side-effects, some wont.

Old 03-28-2005, 08:39 PM   #11
    1970_Torch
    (male)

1970_Torch HB User

Go to the pharmacy or your doctor and get a patient/doctor insert pamphlet and read it.

I am sure if you can't get the flu from the shot they won't say on that paper that you can. But if they say that you can get the exact symptoms from the shot, then I would say you can get the flu from the vaccine.

No, a virus is not a live thing. It can not reproduce with another virus. It can not feed and defecate.

Old 03-29-2005, 01:49 PM   #12
    Piranna65
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Piranna65 HB User

Well i wont get the shot anyway waste of money and time. i was just responding to the poster who had concern. So when the doc. column mentioned the info. I posted it.

goodluck

Old 03-29-2005, 04:47 PM   #13
    nastabasta
    Inactive
    (female)

nastabasta HB User

hello,
    this is in reference to the question about how a virus can be "dead". you were correct in saying that viruses do not reproduce with other viruses. they do so by taking over the host's machinery and using it to replicate themselves. the process is complicated and difficult to explain quickly to someone who has no knowledge of it. however, i will be glad to explain if anyone wants me to.

as far as how viruses can be "dead" .... a virus can be made "dead" for the purpose of making a vaccine. this is done by treating it with formaldehyde so that it can't infect the host's cell while still retaining some of its unaltered epitopes. this is why your doctor may have told you that the virus was "dead as a dodo". in this state it is impossible for it to infect you.

viruses can also we weakened so that they are no longer harmful. in this state they are called "attenuated".

some vaccines don't use whole viruses. they just use viral parts.

i hope this clears up some of the confusion.

Old 03-29-2005, 04:57 PM   #14
    nastabasta
    Inactive
    (female)

nastabasta HB User

dear 1970 torch,

just one more quick thought in response to what you said in your last post. i quote you:
    "I am sure if you can't get the flu from the shot they won't say on that paper that you can. But if they say that you can get the exact symptoms from the shot, then I would say you can get the flu from the vaccine."

this makes no sense. just because you have some flu-like symptoms doesn't mean that you have the flu. as an example: the primary symptoms of viral meningitis are headache and high fever. gee, those are symptoms that are associated with other diseases too. like say the flu? but viral meningitis isn't the flu, is it? and its gravity can't be compared to that of the flu, can it?

my point is that just because you have some symptoms of the flu doesn't mean that you have the flu.

Old 03-29-2005, 09:40 PM   #15
    Piranna65
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Piranna65 HB User

thank you nasta. I totally agree. Here's another example how about being pregnant?? and not know it at the time?

thanks for clearing it up for us

Closed Thread