It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board

• Should adults get meningitis vaccines?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-17-2005, 07:11 AM   #1
    Mom*N*Me

Mom*N*Me HB User
    Should adults get meningitis vaccines?

In doing research on the Prevnar vaccine I have found that there is an adult version to this vaccine that protects against 23 strains of the bacteria that can cause meningitis and there is also the vaccine that is offered to college freshman. I heard that the CDC is now recommending that at the age of 11 children receive this vaccine and that they then receive it again before entering college.

Should we be getting it as parents?? What do you think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2005, 07:59 PM   #2
    Doobeedoobeedoo

Doobeedoobeedoo HB User
    Re: Should adults get meningitis vaccines?

Here's the ingredients of Prevnar, you may want to check into them to decide if that is what you want injected into you/your kids bodies to 'prevent' a disease which it has NEVER been proven to do.
    Or, you could eat right, take vitamins and wash your hands regularly to prevent diseases...take your pick.

Prevnar
    Pneumococcal - 7-Valent Conjugate Vaccine
    Wyeth Lederle
    Produced using saccharides from capsular Streptococcus pneumoniae antigens (7 serotypes) individually conjugated to diphtheria CRM 197 protein aluminum phosphate, ammonium sulfate, soy protein, yeast.

Old 02-18-2005, 11:04 AM   #3
    Ilovemyboy
    (female)

Ilovemyboy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mom*N*Me
    In doing research on the Prevnar vaccine I have found that there is an adult version to this vaccine that protects against 23 strains of the bacteria that can cause meningitis and there is also the vaccine that is offered to college freshman. I heard that the CDC is now recommending that at the age of 11 children receive this vaccine and that they then receive it again before entering college.

Should we be getting it as parents?? What do you think?

Personally, no I don't think we shoud get them.

Old 02-18-2005, 12:56 PM   #4
    Mom*N*Me

Mom*N*Me HB User

Thank you both for your replies. I agree on the doing what we can do to keep ourselves and our bodies healthy.

I guess the stories on the babies who have contracted pneumococcal meningitis and have been harmed severely by the disease really get to me...I love my children SO much and want SO much to do right by them and make the correct choices.

The Prevnar has only been around for such a short time and I DO worry that vaccinating them against it could make them more susceptible to meningitis later in life because their bodies wouldn't have built up the naturla immunities...is that possible?

I am also very concerned about the seizures I have heard of as a side effect.

Old 02-20-2005, 02:38 PM   #5
    kiki lou

kiki lou HB User

Don't do it...

Old 02-20-2005, 07:49 PM   #6
    kehorner
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

As an adult, it is probably not necessary for you to get the vaccine. Mainly it is recommended for students who will be living in dorms at college. Some colleges require it to live in the dorms. This is because of the close quarters in which an outbreak can spread rapidly, compounded by the often less-than-healthy habits of college freshmen. But after the college years, it's generally not necessary to get the vaccine.

As for your children, you might want to discuss the pros and cons with your pediatrician.

Old 02-21-2005, 09:27 PM   #7
    Mom*N*Me

Mom*N*Me HB User

Thank you very much!

Old 03-12-2005, 11:10 AM   #8
    NCGuy
    (male)

NCGuy HB User

Once you pass the college years, its probably not necessary and is not on the sehedule. The only reason for an adult to receive it would be if you traveled to the 'meningitis belt' area of Africa. The new vaccine lasts for 10 years where the old one only lasted three.

Old 03-13-2005, 04:52 PM   #9
    1970_Torch
    (male)

1970_Torch HB User

<<<<...I love my children SO much and want SO much to do right by them and make the correct choices.>>>

Then check out what is in the vaccine, how long it has been tested, who benefits from the vaccine (manufacturers) in other words follow the money, and see the side effects.

Read the insert paper!!!!!!

<<<<<<< I DO worry that vaccinating them against it could make them more susceptible to meningitis later in life because their bodies wouldn't have built up the naturla immunities...is that possible?>>>>>>>>>>

YES. But here is what I've learned. We have basically 90 some documented bacteria in our throat at any given time. They live with us and we live with them. They may or may not be beneficial but they do no harm.

They live with us in harmony. We don't really know what purpose they serve but we may depend on them. We depend on a lot of bacteria in our body. Without bacteria we could not live. We could not digest our food. We could not go to the bathroom.... on and on...It is known as a symbiotic relationship.

The vaccine you are discussing will kill off 7 of these bacteria. (only 7 our of 90 that we have recognized so far.)

What happens to the rest of them? Will they simply take over the 'empty' spaces? Will they overproduce and cause other problems. We do not know. Nor can any scientist answer that question.

Vaccines are simply a 'theory'. Vaccines are not based on science and has never been proven. We are messing with the immune system and do not really know the consequences. There is not one scientific paper that proves that vaccine work. But there is a lot of information that vaccines have dire consequences.

Closed Thread