It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board

• Rubella Vaccination

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-29-2005, 11:46 AM   #1
    princessbelle
    (female)

princessbelle HB User
    Rubella Vaccination

Hello there everyone!

I have a question I need answers to ASAP. A first time mother has just given birth, she has been informed that she does not have immunity against rubella
    according to her blood test, and told that she has to have a vaccination right away so that she will have immunity before she gets pregnant again.
    So that in the event that she comes in contact with rubella during the first trimester of subsequent pregnancies she will not contract the disease and thus damage the unborn child. What do you think abou this vaccine? Any thought would be wonderful!

Thanks!

-Belle-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2005, 07:00 PM   #2
    1970_Torch
    (male)

1970_Torch HB User
    Re: Rubella Vaccination

She just gave birth? And possibly breast feeding her child?

She should absolutely NOT get the vaccine now.

There certainly is plenty of time before she gets pregnant again. Or is she planning on getting pregnant tonight?

Vaccine is NEVER an emergency medicine. It should never be rushed. She must research it before she vaccinates.

And it should never be given to a new mother. Or a newborn infant.

At the same time, make sure she doesn't give her child Hepatitis B. Unless she herself is Hep B contagious.

No child is in danger of getting hep b unless they are sexually promiscuous or drug users. - Crazy!

Old 05-03-2005, 08:34 AM   #3
    caedmyn

caedmyn HB User

She might want to research it before getting it. I've read that the chances of a woman getting temporary or permanent rheumatoid arthritis (which is very painful) from getting the rubella vaccine as an adult are fairly high.

"Acute joint complaints following vaccination of women with RA 27/3 rubella vaccine are common, occurring in approximately 25% of seronegative adult female vaccinees. It is generally believed that persistence or recurrence of these symptoms is rare (2-5). One group of investigators in Canada has reported that the incidence of persistent or recurrent frank arthritis following rubella vaccination is as high as 5%-11% in small studies of adult female vaccinees (6,7). This rate is higher than the background annual rate of chronic arthritis owing to all causes in women. Data from the National Health Interview Survey indicate that 2% of persons younger than 35 years and 11% of persons aged 35-44 years have consulted a physician within the last year for arthritis (8).

Other chronic illnesses that have been reported following rubella vaccination include paresthesias, painful limb syndrome, blurred vision, fibromyalgia, and fatigue (9,10). Support for a possible role of rubella vaccine virus in causing chronic arthritis comes from isolation of virus from peripheral blood lymphocytes and/or synovial fluid of such patients using special cocultivation techniques (6,11). "

(from [url]http://www.cdc.gov/nip/vacsafe/research/jama.htm[/url])

Last edited by caedmyn; 05-03-2005 at 08:56 AM.

Old 05-03-2005, 01:12 PM   #4
    ~PJ~
    Veteran
    (female)

~PJ~ HB User

I've just been through exactly the same thing... I was found to have no rubella immunity while pg so I've just had to have the MMR... I'm not breastfeeding though so that is maybe something you want to look into

Old 05-04-2005, 05:11 PM   #5
    1970_Torch
    (male)

1970_Torch HB User

You are suggesting not breast feed vs not getting the vaccine right now?

Old 07-05-2005, 09:26 AM   #6
    shelliam
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

shelliam HB User

I just gave birth to my second child and recieved mmr vaccine in the hospital. I read was also told by my dr that it is very safe to breastfeed after.

Old 07-06-2005, 11:55 AM   #7
    jmcummins3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jmcummins3 HB User

I had a similar situation - TWICE.

I have a 10-year-old and a 2-month-old. When I was pregnant with my 10-year-old, I was told I was not immune to Rubella, even though I have proof that I had the shot as a baby. I opted not to get the shot in the hospital after delivery (I am afraid of needles). 8 years later, I met a woman whose brother is severly handicapped specifically due to his mother contracting Rubella during pregnancy. He is in his 40's but has had a very rough life as a result. If you heard the stories of how much this man has gone through in his life, you'd weigh that against the cons of the immunization before making any decisions. When my new husband and I started talking about having a baby, I got the shot 8 months before getting pregnant (the doctor told me I had to wait at least 3 months before getting pregnant after the shot). When my OB did my bloodwork early in my 2nd pregnancy, I was still not immune to Rubella, now having the shot twice in my life, once just 10 months prior to the bloodwork. My OB said she knows of at least 3 cases similar to mine and told me that it is very likely that no matter how many times I get the shot, it will not take, so she told me not to bother since the likelyhood of contracting Rubella in this area is very low anyhow.

In the hospital after delivery of my 2nd baby, the nurse was admiment that I get the Rubella shot, even though I told her I already discussed it with my OB and we agreed that it is not in my best interest. I should have reported that nurse who was relentless, insisting that it is imperative that I wait to get pregnant after the shot and the only way to ensure that I would not get pregnant was the required abstinance after childbirth (apparently, she hasn't heard of birth control - I am on the pill AND we use condoms AND pull-out prior to ejaculation - I'm not getting pregnant any time soon). My doctor doesn't think the immunization will take if I have it again, so I don't see how that nurse gets off pushing it on me. I was glad she was only on duty that one shift during my hospital stay. She also forced the Hep B shot that we did go through with before having the opportunity to research it. I have only recently heard about the controversy surrounding immunizing children and have only recently started looking into it.

Old 07-07-2005, 09:58 AM   #8
    jriegel

jriegel HB User

regarding the question about breastfeeding or vaccinate: the absolute best thing a mother could do for her child is breastfeed. aside from the physical and emotional bond that is established, not only for the baby but ALSO for the mother, the infant receives passively aquired immunity from the breast milk of the mother, and this immunity does not decrease at all until breastfeeding has ceased.

this is personal opinion but it seems logical to me, that if this new mother has not contracted rubella from her own home or the places she inhabits on a daily basis, it is incredibly unlikely that she or her child would become infected with rubella. this is one disease that has been practically wiped out, somewhat because of vaccinations but mostly because of increased awareness of cleanliness, hygiene, risk factors and safety. my other thought is that many of the most harmful and vaccine/antibiotic resistent strains of infections and diseases are located....in a hospital, by sick people who bring them there. the uber-sterile environment has allowed for them to mutate (natural selection) to become resistent making them more harmful.

again i cannot stress enough that if the mother or anyone in her family has not contracted rubella from her daily life, it is highly unlikely the child would contract it either, as well as a whole host of other "potential" infections that are suggested to be vaccinated against (particularly Hep B, since i assume neither the mother or the child is sexually promiscuous or drug users), because of passively aquired immunity from breastfeeding.

the mother's own germs and dna and body fluids in the home environment are safer for the baby than the uber-sterile hospital environment where germs and diseases are continuously brought in through innumerable strange patients.

Last edited by jriegel; 07-07-2005 at 09:59 AM.

Old 08-29-2005, 10:07 PM   #9
    ConcernedParent
    (male)

ConcernedParent HB User

If the rubella vaccine that she will be getting is the MMR II (measles-mumps-rubella) from MerckFrosst, this quote from the Compendium of Pharmaceuticals and Specialties (CPS), 2005 (pp. 1271-73) may help:

"Contraindications: ...
    Pregnancy: Do not give M-M-R II to pregnant females; the possible effects of the vaccine on fetal development are unknown at this time. If vaccination of post-pubertal females is undertaken, pregnancy must be avoided by medically acceptable methods for 3 months following vaccination (see Precautions, Pregnancy).
    Precautions: ...
    Pregnancy: Animal reproduction studies have not been conducted with M-M-R II. It is also not known whether M-M-R II can cause fetal harm when administered to a pregnant woman or can affect reproduction capacity. Therefore, the vaccine should not be administered to pregnant females; furthermore, pregnancy should be avoided for 3 months following vaccination (see Contraindications).
    Lactation: It is not known whether measles or mumps vaccine virus is secreted in human milk. Recent studies have shown that lactating postpartum women immunized with live attenuated rubella vaccine [that's the kind in this product -CP] may secrete the virus in breast milk and transmit it to breast-fed infants. In the infants with serological evidence of rubella infection, none exhibited severe disease; however, one exhibited mild clinical illness typical of acquired rubella. Caution should be exercised when M-M-R II is administered to a nursing woman."

I need to get the rubella vaccine myself (need to have rubella antibodies to work or volunteer in healthcare in Ontario), but I wanted to know what I'd be allowing into my body. I got this info from the pharmacist at the local hospital.

I hope that this info helps.

Last edited by ConcernedParent; 08-29-2005 at 10:15 PM.

Old 09-13-2005, 08:25 PM   #10
    nastabasta
    Inactive
    (female)

nastabasta HB User

msmandy,
    that's so aweful. i wish you had complained about that terrible nurse. i can't believe she just gave you the shot without your consent. is there any way you can find out if she still works there and try to file a complaint?
    i've never heard anything so bizarre. i'm very sorry that you were treated to badly. i'm pregnant right now. i sure hope noone is going to treat me that way when i go to have my baby. my dh is a lawyer and he'd have anyone's head who did something like that on a platter. i really hope you can get some kind of retribution for this. good luck.

Closed Thread