It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board

• Timing for Tetanus Symptoms??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-20-2006, 07:39 PM   #1
    Yanu
    (female)

Yanu HB User
    Arrow Timing for Tetanus Symptoms??

I'm having a really hard time finding how long it usually takes for tetanus symptoms to show. I stepped on 2 rusty nails with my right foot, about 1 1/2 - 2 hours ago. I know the general symptoms to look for first, but I'm not sure how long it takes to be noticeable etc..

I'm still waiting for a phone call from my mom, to ask about my last Tetanus shot. I'm 21 and recently moved out, so if I've had one since I was 11 or so, I guess I should be okay. It's just that while I'm waiting for her to get my message and call me back, I'm really nervous that maybe I should go to the Emerg. anyways, but I hate blocking up the medical system if I don't have to.

If anyone has any idea of how long the symptoms take to show it would ease my mind a little.

Thank you in advance, and sorry if this topic is misplaced, but I wasn't really sure where to put it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2006, 09:59 PM   #2
    MommaBee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MommaBee HB User
    Re: Timing for Tetanus Symptoms??

Even if you have had a tetanus shot before, you should get one again. Any puncture, whether or not it was from something rusty, can be very infectious. Go to your ER now for the shot and to have it cleaned and treated. I wouldn't wait!

Old 03-21-2006, 10:26 AM   #3
    NCGuy
    (male)

NCGuy HB User
    Re: Timing for Tetanus Symptoms??

Mammabee is right. You should go to an ER or a Urgent Care clinic asap. You DONT want to wait for the symptoms to appear. Normally, you should get a Tetanus-Diptheria (Td) booster every ten years but if its been over five years since your last booster and you get a cut or puncture, they will give you one then. There is a new vaccine that is reccomended as a one time booster for anyone (teenagers and adults) who havent had a booster in the last five-10 years. It is a Tetanus-Diptheria-Pertussis combination vaccination to boost the antibodies from your previous DPT shot you got as a child.

Closed Thread