It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

• Vitamins

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-23-2015, 07:56 PM   #1
    Kcbak75
    (female)

Kcbak75 HB User
    Vitamins

I recently turned 40 and have had an interesting year with health. I went from excellent cholesterol to very high, developed kidney stones, learned I have osteopenia and have developed chronic back pain caused by bone on bone. I am not a fan of medication and am trying to find the right combination of vitamins to help with these problems. I cannot take Calcium because it is causing kidney stones, but I am thinking Vitamin D and Omega 3 Fish Oil would be a good start. Any suggestions on other vitamins/dosage? I'm new to this board, so forgive me if I haven't posed my question properly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2015, 09:16 AM   #2
    nm1989
    (male)

nm1989 HB User
    Re: Vitamins

Fish oil will definitely help relieve joint pain if you get a quality brand. Some brands have very little DHA/EPA and label a 1000mg fish oil, while in reality will have only 400 milligrams of omega-3 and the rest is useless fat. Turmeric is also great for joint pains and your immune system. When choosing a product, it's best to go to a third party tester who will test the product and give an accurate report.

For fish oil I use vita oils 1000, which have one of the highest EPA/DHA ratios and keeps a 3.1 DHA to EPA ratio which is the ratio found in healthy fish. (make sure your fish oil doesn't contain omega-6, which can actually cause inflammation and can remove some of the omega-3 benefits.)

For turmeric, which is great for joint pain, immune system, and more, I use Natureganics turmeric curcumin. Both products run about 20 dollars, and they will provide the benefits that they promise. Stay away from supplements at Target, Walgreens, Wal-Mart etc as the brands they carry are notoriously ineffective and provide very inaccurate labels.

Vitamin D is a great supplement, especially in winter. I live in Chicago, and the sun doesn't come out for months. I take vitamin D every day as well as therapeutic light lamps for extra Vitamin D. Turmeric and Fish oil will help with joint pain. I'm an athlete and workout daily and there is a noticeable difference when I don't take it. A good fish oil will also boost mental health, and can have a positive effect on emotions too. Hope this helps!

Last edited by moderator2; 07-01-2015 at 09:29 AM.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:01 AM   #3
    tess201
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB User

Hi,

If you take D3 take K-2 along with it to help the vit. D go where it's supposed to go.

Tess

Old 07-04-2015, 01:07 AM   #4
    neuroproblem
    (male)

neuroproblem HB Userneuroproblem HB Userneuroproblem HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kcbak75 View Post
    I recently turned 40 and have had an interesting year with health. I went from excellent cholesterol to very high, developed kidney stones, learned I have osteopenia and have developed chronic back pain caused by bone on bone. I am not a fan of medication and am trying to find the right combination of vitamins to help with these problems. I cannot take Calcium because it is causing kidney stones, but I am thinking Vitamin D and Omega 3 Fish Oil would be a good start. Any suggestions on other vitamins/dosage? I'm new to this board, so forgive me if I haven't posed my question properly.
    Do you have vit d deficiency?

Old 07-04-2015, 06:20 AM   #5
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Neruoproblem, before starting ANY of these supplements, you should see your doctor and have blood work done. You can put too much of all of this in your body...you need to know your levels before you start supplementing.

For some of us, 1000 mgs a day of vitamin D are necessary, for others the RDA of 400 mgs is all that is needed. For fish oils, its the same. I have a neurological disorder, and take a very high combination of EPA/DHA , however my husband cant tolerate the levels I take...it makes him nauseaus....

Please check with your doctor before you start "self" medicating/ supplementing.

MSNik

Old 07-05-2015, 01:05 AM   #6
    neuroproblem
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    Neruoproblem, before starting ANY of these supplements, you should see your doctor and have blood work done. You can put too much of all of this in your body...you need to know your levels before you start supplementing.

For some of us, 1000 mgs a day of vitamin D are necessary, for others the RDA of 400 mgs is all that is needed. For fish oils, its the same. I have a neurological disorder, and take a very high combination of EPA/DHA , however my husband cant tolerate the levels I take...it makes him nauseaus....

Please check with your doctor before you start "self" medicating/ supplementing.

MSNik
    im pretty sure i told people i was diagnosed with vit deficiency, and rx 4000iu, but i am taking 5000iu, because it was easier to take, since its 1 pill a day, instead of 2(2000iu).vit d toxicity doesnt show up unlless you do 10k-30k per day, which is excessive, and you would have to do that for a while.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:31 AM   #7
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

My apologies, I only read the first post- not your entire history. In your first post, it doesnt state that you actually had been dx with Vitamin D deficiency. You will learn that vitamin D should be spread out throughout the day, not taken in one dose; otherwise most of it is excreted and not absorbed.

If you take it throughout the day, youll see your levels increase at a fairly steady rate. Taking one pill a day will be a very slow process...

Best to you!

Old 07-06-2015, 01:48 AM   #8
    neuroproblem
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    My apologies, I only read the first post- not your entire history. In your first post, it doesnt state that you actually had been dx with Vitamin D deficiency. You will learn that vitamin D should be spread out throughout the day, not taken in one dose; otherwise most of it is excreted and not absorbed.

If you take it throughout the day, youll see your levels increase at a fairly steady rate. Taking one pill a day will be a very slow process...

Best to you!
    I take the doses every day, 5000iu, since i originally came on this forum, because i have been suffering from IDIOPATHIC PN, for around 6 months, along with my partial anosmia and hypogueisia(loss of smell and taste,partially). its in a pill form, how do you spread it in a day. Since my 4000iu supply ran out, i had stopped taking d3 for several weeks, until i finally bought 200pills worth from safeway. I heard it takes almost a year before any signs of improvements. i usually take it when i am eating, since it will enhance absorption around that time.

Closed Thread

Tags
    bone pain, high cholesterol, kidney stone, osteopenia, vitamins