It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

• Vitamins/Minerals - Which ones should be consumed daily, and which can be lumpy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-19-2018, 11:57 AM   #1
    Aventador

Aventador HB User
    Vitamins/Minerals - Which ones should be consumed daily, and which can be lumpy?

Hi All,
    As an example of a vitamin that can't be loaded up, I understand that Calcium should be consumed in small doses as the body cannot absorb or use a large amount in one go. Extra calcium taken in one sitting is excreted and thus wasted, as I understand it. The body doesn't digest and store it and then use it slowly. By contrast, apparently Vitamin D can be stored and used across time.

I'm interested to find out about this characteristic for all or many vitamins and minerals? I.e. which ones can the body store, which ones must we take in periodic small doses?

In particular, I'm noticing that when tracking my nutritional intake, Vitamin K is very lumpy. On many days I fail to consume enough, and then on a day when I have kale, I get over 1000% of the daily requirement. When I look at my overall Vitamin K intake for the past month, it looks good because it averages out. But I don't know if that is accurately taking into account the issue of excess consumption in one sitting.

So for example if I had a huge amount of calcium on one day, and none for the rest of the month, a straight average calculation would indicate a good daily average. Which isn't really giving a correct answer, considering the way the body works.

Now, for some vitamins, it could be fine to be "lumpy" in consumption, and for others, like Calcium, it may not be - it may be essential to spread it out across the days, and even within each day. I haven't yet found any information covering a number of vitamins, and so far, not for Vitamin K specifically, when searching for quite a while. If you know which vitamins can be "loaded up" in one sitting, and which need to be spread out across time, that would be very helpful.

Thanks all!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2018, 12:58 PM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Vitamins/Minerals - Which ones should be consumed daily, and which can be lumpy?

Dear Aventador,

I am not sure what you want to know. Are you trying to get adequate nutrients from man made supplements?

Old 07-19-2018, 01:51 PM   #3
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Vitamins/Minerals - Which ones should be consumed daily, and which can be lumpy?

Dear Aventador,

It's great to research nutrients and general needs, but there is no set standard for every person, because how much supplement to take depends on both what and how much you eat and also depends on how your own body works, whether or not and how your body breaks down and absorbs the nutrients.

Every single body works uniquely and has unique requirements. Bodies do not all work in the same way. What I need to eat or supplement is not exactly what any other person needs.

You can get labs done to see if you have any deficiencies, then you need to learn if it is from a malfunction of the body, if caused by a disease, or if you can ingest it or if it must be injected, and so on. If anyone discovered exactly what you or every body needs that would be incredible.

Last edited by yayagirl; 07-19-2018 at 01:52 PM.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:04 PM   #4
    Aventador

Aventador HB User

Thank for replying. I'm looking to get my vitamins from food.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-20-2018 at 06:12 PM.

Closed Thread