It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

• Hello! First post and a question about K2 for my elderly mother!

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-12-2021, 11:45 AM   #1
    Missourita
    (female)

Missourita HB User
    Smile Hello! First post and a question about K2 for my elderly mother!

Hello there! I'm happy to have found this forum, as I am caring for an elderly mother (dementia? awaiting sleep apnea diagnosis, heart issues, Afib, etc.) and I myself was diagnosed with Alpha Gal Syndrome about 6 months ago (tick bite that causes an "allergy" to certain meat proteins, etc).

Anyway, I've always been into health and alternative health, so I'm happy to be here!

QUESTION: For some reason I recall reading some time ago that my mother shouldn't take MK-7/K2. Recently I've searched and searched and can't find a reason why. I believe it was perhaps about the build-up of calcium being too late and breaking off of calcium due to K2, which could lead to strokes, etc.

Does anyone know why a senior may not want to start K2? Am I wrong about what I recollect about the possible damage from someone starting K2 very late in life?

Thanks so much, and good health to you all!

Missourita

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2021, 08:58 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Hello! First post and a question about K2 for my elderly mother!

This is a tough question to answer because because we don't know the full extent of her heart issues and what her diet is like etc.. Her doctor would be the best one to ask if K2 would help or hurt her condition. Her diet may already be providing an adequate amount of K2. By doing some research you can find out what foods contain K2 and what the possible side effects might be.

Many forms of animal protein contain K2

Possible side effects of supplements include decrease of appetite and movement, difficult breathing, enlarged liver, general body swelling, muscle stiffness, and paleness.

In my opinion, the best thing might be whatever she is able to do to improve her overall lifestyle. For example, more exercise and healthier food choices. If she's able to walk, that might be the best for her, even if it's slow walking.

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
    Missourita (01-15-2021)
    Old 01-15-2021, 02:24 PM   #3
    Missourita
    (female)

Missourita HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Hello! First post and a question about K2 for my elderly mother!

Thank you SO, SO Much for this, John! I'm trying to get her up and moving, but her pain isn't helping. One of the calcium/bone supplements I would like her to try has K2 in it. I'm going to try to get her in motion (she has a recumbent bike she doesn't want me to get rid of, because she swears she wants to use it). If I can get her on it 5 minutes a day, at least, maybe that will get her blood going and ease her pain in order to get her condition improving.

I'll take your advice and start with this! Thanks again for taking the time to respond, and for your great advice.

Be well,

Missourita

Reply Reply