It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

• Need natural diuretic.....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-01-2002, 01:58 PM   #1
    Toree
    Inactive

Toree HB User
    Post Need natural diuretic.....

Hi,
    I suffer from fibrocystic breasts and even though my mammos and ultra sounds come back allright, I still have problems with swelling and pain. My doctor suggested a diuretic but I am already on different meds for other issues and would like to try a natural diuretic if possible. Are there any vitamins/minerals that act as a diuretic or even foods? I would not be interested in taking any herbs though as they are not well regulated and I don't know about allergies.
    Thanks....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2002, 06:48 PM   #2
    all things
    (female)

all things HB User
    I'm only speaking for myself, but when I eat low carb, meaning eliminating the breads, pastas,and sugars, and concentrate on vegetables,fruits, and lean meats, I diurese in a matter of days. You should see my lower legs, ankles, and breasts when I overeat junk food. I am not advocating Atkins, etc. just saying try cutting out the wheat and sugars. Works for me everytime. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_up.gif

Old 07-01-2002, 06:58 PM   #3
    Toree
    Inactive

Toree HB User
    Hi,
    Gee, I do eat pasta, hot and cold(salads) and love bread, all kinds. I have always eaten like that and only eat meat about every couple of months, if that. I guess this food is not working for me anymore. My consumption of fruit is not good, veggies I do better with though. Well, will kick the pastas, breads, etc...sugar is not a problem, don't touch it although I am sure there is always some snuck in something somewhere.

It sounds like it would be an increase in protein? Would fish be okay, I am not a big meat eater.
    But thanks for the help, I appreciate it....

Old 07-01-2002, 07:17 PM   #4
    all things
    (female)

all things HB User
    Fish is excellent, especially the cold water kind as they have more of the good fats that we need...salmon is my favorite. I was in Barnes and Noble today, looking for an interesting cookbook, and saw a book dedicated to food allergies and sensitivities. Gluten is a huge allergen, and it's found not only in bread, but canned soups, ice cream and all manner of things. Another offensive item is MSG. But everybody is different. Try getting rid of the breads and pastas. If that doesn't work, keep on being a detective. Something you are eating is probably causing the edema. Or drinking...sodas, especially ones with aspartame can be culprits

Old 07-01-2002, 07:35 PM   #5
    Toree
    Inactive

Toree HB User
    Glad about the fish, love salmon too, especially grilled. I am unaware about gluten, going to have to start paying closer attention to ingredients. I see you also live in FL., I am in Jax, whereabouts are you if you don't mind my asking, if you would rather not say, I understand. Fish being available here, I have learned to appreciate it although am not too sure which are cold water and not. What does that mean and would that rule out tuna, perch, sole, flounder?

Old 07-01-2002, 08:03 PM   #6
    all things
    (female)

all things HB User
    I was born and raised in the Clearwater area. Plenty of fish here too. The fish you mentioned are OK, though some would say everything today is suspect, re: toxins, mercury etc. I love lobster and crab but since they are the *cockroaches of the sea* blech, tend to stay away from them. I was at Red Lobster today, and they have a wonderful menu. I was extremely satisfied(except those delicious biscuits - a big no-no!) Salmon can be pretty reasonable in price in this area, sometimes only $2.99 a pound, and I've experimented with it frequently. Better than the restaurants. Gluten allergy causes bloating, headaches and various other problems.

Old 07-02-2002, 12:52 PM   #7
    buck58
    Veteran

buck58 HB User
    Thumbs up

Try grapefruit. It works for me.
    buck.

Old 07-02-2002, 07:58 PM   #8
    drs
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User
    Also in addition to what all-things has said about the diet. WATER is also a natural diuretic, if the body has enough it doesn't store it.

With the low carb diet,I did one too. It can definately take out excess water, but you need to replace it, or you could end up with hard BMs. Cut down on caffine too. It screws up the balance of water in the system. Diana

[This message has been edited by drs (edited 07-02-2002).]

Old 07-02-2002, 08:28 PM   #9
    all things
    (female)

all things HB User
    Thanks drs, I concur - should have said it. I believe in lots of water, otherwise you get lumpy like a camel.

Old 07-03-2002, 06:05 AM   #10
    Toree
    Inactive

Toree HB User
    To drs: Can you let me know about that bra you were referred to earlier in this post? I am interested in this item...thanks for all your help...Toree

Old 07-03-2002, 12:36 PM   #11
    drs
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User
    Well for one I'm pretty small on top and that's the reason I bought it in the first place, it gives you a lift. It just called a water bra, bought it at Herbergers, it's a dept. store you can ususally find this store in the big malls. It cost me about 35 bucks, I thought that was pretty spendy, but now I use it like a cool pack too.LOL. I just put it in a brown paper bag and stick it in the fridge over night, and whala ,cool pack for the sore chest in the morning. I don't think I'd chance putting it in the freezer though. might be too lumpy, and I wouldn't want to have it bust.(pun intended) Ice expands. Diana

Old 07-05-2002, 09:18 PM   #12
    paper clip

paper clip HB User
    Dandelion herb is a decent choice diuretic. It happens to replace potassium so electrolyte depletion is less of a concern.

Old 07-06-2002, 01:21 AM   #13
    Crissy

Crissy HB User
    Thanks Paperclip,

I am keen to try Dandelion as a diuretic to see if it might help ease my symptoms from the calcification in my shoulders (worse when I'm holding fluid).

I didn't realise potassium levels and electrolytes were linked?

Old 07-06-2002, 06:34 AM   #14
    Toree
    Inactive

Toree HB User
    Thank you for the suggestion of dandelion. As I stated in my post that I wouldn't be interested in trying herbs. The reason is the allergy potential in herbal preparations/supplements.

Until there is some sort of monitoring as to processing of these herbs, we are at the mercy of stale and often rancid products. This means we pay for useless and often dangerous items. There needs to be better product control.

Old 07-06-2002, 09:12 AM   #15
    paper clip

paper clip HB User
    Then I would ask your doctor to make a specific recommendation as to what you could take that is a natural diuretic. That's the safest thing to do since your system is apparently unusually sensitive to all unregulated herbal ingredients. Good luck.

Closed Thread