It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

Question about calcium...

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2004, 09:47 AM   #1
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 142
Cowspots HB User
Question about calcium...

Do men need to take calcium too?


Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 01-21-2004, 10:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 728
kellie2 HB User
Re: Question about calcium...

It doesn't hurt but no, you don't need it like a female does. Also, if you're prone to kidney stones, you shouldn't be taking it at all.

Old 01-22-2004, 10:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 691
snowmelts HB User
Re: Question about calcium...

Originally Posted by kellie2
It doesn't hurt but no, you don't need it like a female does. Also, if you're prone to kidney stones, you shouldn't be taking it at all.
Calcium does more than effect just the bones. It also effects muscles and vascular tissues and many cells of the body. EVERY human needs calcium to stay alive. But NOT all humans need EXTRA calcium over and above the amount they eat in food.

I just read an article saying that 80% of those that get Osteoporosis (thinning bones) are Women.. the other 20% are MEN.

Men DO get osteoarthritis.

I highly believe growing boys (and girls) need lots of milk and foods containing calcium to grow as strong a bones and teeth as possible before age 30.

The problem with calcium in food is that the main ones are dairy products and cholestrol considerations must taken into account with those.

You should ask your Dr if there is any reason you should or should not be taking calcium suppliments but it is most likely that a "multi-vitimen" has plenty enough calcium if you are an average human.

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
2 Question: Nutrition tables on herbs speed & spices and blood thinner tips? tariqa Open to All Other Health Topics 1 12-06-2009 07:34 AM
Board Coverage Question Yunalesca Thyroid Disorders 2 03-12-2009 04:56 PM
EZorb question/concern cathy4800 Osteoporosis 79 10-23-2007 06:56 AM
tygwym..Question Jenny C. Thyroid Disorders 4 01-31-2007 03:03 PM
Afib question sam061 Heart Disorders 9 10-10-2005 04:17 PM
Question about calcium absorbption Stavia Osteoporosis 1 06-30-2005 02:43 PM
Calcium question? Pammy2218 Back Problems 3 04-06-2005 05:03 AM
Maybe a silly question about calcium channel blockers kfz45 High & Low Blood Pressure 6 10-30-2004 01:15 PM
quick bread question usedtobewantsittoend Acne 44 02-15-2004 07:58 PM
calcium question....? fruitisgood0908 Acne 3 01-30-2004 08:12 AM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:26 PM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!