It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

• Why does Coenzyme Q-10 costs so much

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-13-2004, 11:35 PM   #1
    RaceBannon
    Inactive

RaceBannon HB User
    Why does Coenzyme Q-10 costs so much

Hi, Coenzyme Q-10 is know for the heart. The vitamin costs alot of money.
    It costs like 30 dollars for 100 softgels. I can get 100 Flax Seeds soft gels for 6 99. Is the Coenzyme Q-10 that much better a vitamin then Flax Seed or Vitamin E?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2004, 01:15 AM   #2
    ILikeRats

ILikeRats HB User
    Re: Why does Coenzyme Q-10 costs so much

Some brands are less expensive, but not as absorbable. Others are made in such a way that our bodies can really utilize the CoQ10, but they are expensive. It also depends on how many milligrams you're taking. 30 mg./day is the minimum dose, for maintaining heart health, but if you are treating an actual problem, people take 100- 400 mg./day! If CoQ10 is out of your budget (shop around the health food stores in your city for sales, a generic brand, etc.), there are other supplements that can help your heart. Depending on your health issues, you could benefit from L-Carnitine, a homocystine formula, policosinal, or red yeast rice.

Old 10-16-2004, 01:20 AM   #3
    ILikeRats

ILikeRats HB User

I forgot to say I do think CoQ10 is a stronger antioxidant than just vitamin E, especially in higher (60 or more mg. CoQ10 per day) doses. Flax oil has more of an anti-inflammatory effect than CoQ10, but is not an antioxidant. I don't take CoQ10, though, myself; I take 500 mg. vitamin C with 400 IU vitamin E as an antioxidant (they work better when taken together and are pretty inexpensive), but they are NOT targeted for the heart. What specifically are your goals with these supplements (CoQ10, flax oil, and vitamin E are really quite different from eachother.)

Old 10-16-2004, 09:21 PM   #4
    sheltie57
    (female)

sheltie57 HB User

I just started taking 60 mg daily of Coenzyme Q10. I recently read an article about the importance of taking this supplement if you are on prescribed cholesteral lowering drugs. I had never heard of this before and decided to give it a try. The only problem was that the article never really said how much to take. The bottle said to take one daily. Is this good enough for someone that is on Lipitor? I've also heard that the pills that are liquid based are more easily absorbed than the ones that are capsules with powder inside. When checking for a good brand, it's hard to know if they are liquid until you buy them. I paid $21 for 100 - 60 mg capsules.

Old 10-29-2004, 12:53 AM   #5
    faggiebot

faggiebot HB User

So.. I'm curious if taking 30mg a few times a week of Spring Valley brand (from WalMart) CoQ10 has any positive effects (even if small) or is it pointless to take a small dose that isn't every day?

Old 01-13-2006, 07:35 AM   #6
    michigani
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

michigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB User

I take 150mg / day. It costs about $23.95 for 30 softgels. BUT..... I always buy it at any of the "Cookie cutter" corner drugstores when they're buy-one-get-one-free. This is usually once a month so I've never paid more than "half price" for my CoQ10.

By the way, I love it. I'm taking it because I have muscular dystrophy and after 6 months of taking it daily, I feel it takes the edge off my fatigue. It's not a miracle cure but it helps enough that it's worth 50 cents a day.

Mark

Last edited by michigani; 01-22-2006 at 11:52 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 10-18-2006, 08:56 PM   #7
    follow00
    (male)

follow00 HB User
    Cool Re: Why does Coenzyme Q-10 costs so much

Our local drugstores, Walgreens and RiteAid have vitamin two- for- one sales monthly, so that is when I buy mine. You can save a lot of money!!

Old 10-19-2006, 06:53 AM   #8
    thedeadrat83
    Inactive
    (male)

thedeadrat83 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RaceBannon
    Hi, Coenzyme Q-10 is know for the heart. The vitamin costs alot of money.
    It costs like 30 dollars for 100 softgels. I can get 100 Flax Seeds soft gels for 6 99. Is the Coenzyme Q-10 that much better a vitamin then Flax Seed or Vitamin E?
    it don't usually like to say that one supplement is better than another as they usually have different roles. on this occasion though i would argure that flaxseed oil is the inferior supplement out of the lot. i'll explain why.

vitamin E- anti-oxidant (vitally important for those taking polyunsaturated fat supplements such as fish oil), healthy skin, healthy circulation, healthy immune system. many epxerts believe that is is impossible to get the full anti-oxidant benefit of vitamin E from food alone, so supplement may be useful and essential if taking poyunsaturated fatty acid supplements.

co-enzyme Q-10- antioxidant (enhances anti-oxidant action of vitamin E), coronary aid, energy releaser (contained in cell mitochondrion), hypotensive, aids gum health. this is made natuarlly by the body but levels decline as we age, and cholestorol lowering drugs and streunous exercise over a prolonged period of time depletes stores. it is found naturally in some foods but these are: organ meats (not top of most people's favourite foods list), red meat (we're always getting told to limit consumption of red meat), and fish (alot people don't like fish). so a supplement for alot of people may be useful.

flax seed oil- provider of omega 3 EFA alpha-linoleic acid (ALA), omega 6 EFA linolenic acid (LA), and omega 9 fatty acid oleic acid. HOWEVER, in regards to the omega 3 content, the form is grossly inferior to the types found in oily fish (EPA and DHA). the body has to convert ALA into EPA before it can utilise it and the conversion rate for this is at best 15% (there are a whole host of factors which affect this conversion process so 15% is very generous). use flax seed oil if you have to (vegan) but fish oil will beat flax seed oil hands down every time.

so flax seed oil i guess you could argue is an "inferior" supplement; however, co-enzyme Q10 and vitamin E are different beyond their anti-oxidant properties but may be higly useful for variour people for various reasons.

as a solution to the original question in regards to the price of co-enzyme Q10, simply eat organ meats which are a very rich natural source. they are much cheaper than other sources such as beek steak. 500grams of liver for about £1, and you'll get a good dose of protein, B-vits (esp. B-12 and folic acid), iron, zinc, vitamin A too

alex.

Closed Thread