It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

• Multi Vitamins are too big!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-14-2004, 02:14 PM   #1
    YankeesFan1212

YankeesFan1212 HB User
    Multi Vitamins are too big!

I take one multi vitamin a day. But I almost always heave it up. So I decided to smash the vitamin into powder, mix it in a glass, and then drink it. Does drinking it when it's in powder still give you all the positive benefits? And are there any negative things that can happen to me? I would also like to know if there are any smaller kinds of multi vitamins around.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2004, 05:22 PM   #2
    Kime
    (female)

Kime HB User
    Re: Multi Vitamins are too big!

Go ahead and smash. You can even get them in liquid form, to mix with water or juice, because you aren't the only person with this problem.

Last edited by Kime; 10-14-2004 at 05:22 PM.

Old 10-14-2004, 06:49 PM   #3
    cocoeyes
    Veteran
    (female)

cocoeyes HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kime
    Go ahead and smash. You can even get them in liquid form, to mix with water or juice, because you aren't the only person with this problem.
    Does anyone have any issues with constipation when taking multi-vitamins?

Old 10-14-2004, 11:45 PM   #4
    ps630
    Inactive

ps630 HB User

smash away. I always use my back teeth to grind the pill into a fine grind then wisk down with water.

Old 10-15-2004, 09:25 AM   #5
    Kime
    (female)

Kime HB User

Two solutions to the constipation issue are: Get whole flax seed at a health food store and grind 1 tablespoon in a coffee grinder and mix with water and quickly chug it down before it jells. Do this once or twice a day. Not only does it give you a great source of whole food fiber, it also gives you about 1/3 teaspoon of flax oil per tablespoon for your omega 3 oils.

If you are constipated now and want to have a good BM as soon as possible without resorting to drugs and plus giving your body a health boost, take vitamin C until you have a BM. Vitamin C will cure the most stubborn case of constipation. If you take enough you will get a temporary diarrhea, but it is harmless. Last night I had measured out 35 grams of C for my son's next dose (he takes it for a serious illness) and my husband wasn't paying attention and thought the cup was empty, put 20 grams more in, and drank all of it! (We use powder because we take larger amounts for various health issues.) He was running to the bathroom for about 3 hours, but then he was fine. Each person is different, so starting with 3-5 grams and taking an additional 3 grams every half hour until you have a BM works for most people. A few people get diarrhea at 1 gram, but very few.

Old 10-15-2004, 10:57 AM   #6
    Michael01
    Inactive

Michael01 HB User

There are many brands of liquid vitamins out there. Just mix with juice and drink. There's no way you can get all the vitamins and minerals you need from just one tablet. There's also a powder you mix with juice which has 72 vitamins, minerals, trace minerals, antioxidants and superfoods. I use both liquid and powder alternating. You need to visit a high quality vitamin store and speak with a representative and don't be concerned with costs when it comes to your health. I spend over $600 a year which is money well spent. Prevention is the best medicine.

Old 10-16-2004, 05:36 PM   #7
    Concerned Male
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Concerned Male HB User

I've been taking a chewable Multi-Vitamin for a while. When I compared the ingredients to the same brand which was in pill form, I noticed that the pill form had more vitamins and minerals, and higher amounts of some of the vitamins and minerals that the chewable form had. I was wondering if usually chewable multi-vitamins are weaker than the pill form?

Closed Thread