It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

• Vitamin B12 deficiency - Help!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-30-2004, 11:01 PM   #1
    vferney

vferney HB User
    Red face Vitamin B12 deficiency - Help!!!

I just found out that I have both a serious B12 deficiency and vitamin D deficiency that have produced profoundly negative effects on my life. I have had a very treatment resistant psychiatric problem for the last seven years which I now clearly see is the result of these deficiencies. My doctor prescribed high levels of these vitamins in supplement form. The problem is that I have had a very negative reaction to the vitamins, most likely because they are interacting strangely with my psychiatric medications (Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Prolixin). I am a vegetarian, and as much as I hate to do it, I started eating poultry today. My question is simply whether the vitamin deficiencies which have ruined my life can be adjusted by JUST returning to carnivorous status OR if I need to spend tremendous amounts of time, money, and emotional where-with-all to find a practitioner who can figure out how to balance my vitamins effectively without me going off psychiatric medications. I am very sensitive to any medication adjustments, and fear that reducing my meds may result in me becomming suicidal. Thus, my hope is that eating meat again will do the trick. Thanks for your feedback.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2004, 07:27 AM   #2
    ps630
    Inactive

ps630 HB User
    Re: Vitamin B12 deficiency - Help!!!

Vitamins are non-toxic so they should not interact with your other medications. I think thats even a coincidence that I heard from a reliable medical magazine that many people are becoming vitamin D deficient. I have been taking calcium with D for almost 2 years now.

Old 10-31-2004, 02:20 PM   #3
    Kime
    (female)

Kime HB User

These vitamins are not reacting with your medications; you are becoming more well and reacting to your medications more like a "normal" person. I don't know about vitamin D, but a B12 deficiency can cause all kinds of psychiatric symptoms, even psychosis. If you want to get your body back in balance again and overcome the problems that the vitamin deficiency has caused you will have to go through the stage of adjusting the medications to lower dosages. If the deficiencies are the cause of the "mental" problems, then it may not be as difficult as you think it will be.

Are you getting the B12 in an injection? If you are getting it in an injection then you shouldn't need to eat animal products to get it. You will probably get the same reaction to your meds no matter what source you use for B12 so I don't see any way you can get around lowering the dosages of your meds. The good news is that now that you know the cause of your problem you should be able to get well.

How long have you been a vegetarian? Do you believe that is what caused the B12 deficiency?

Old 12-05-2004, 12:06 PM   #4
    turl

turl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vferney
    I just found out that I have both a serious B12 deficiency and vitamin D deficiency that have produced profoundly negative effects on my life. I have had a very treatment resistant psychiatric problem for the last seven years which I now clearly see is the result of these deficiencies. My doctor prescribed high levels of these vitamins in supplement form. The problem is that I have had a very negative reaction to the vitamins, most likely because they are interacting strangely with my psychiatric medications (Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Prolixin). I am a vegetarian, and as much as I hate to do it, I started eating poultry today. My question is simply whether the vitamin deficiencies which have ruined my life can be adjusted by JUST returning to carnivorous status OR if I need to spend tremendous amounts of time, money, and emotional where-with-all to find a practitioner who can figure out how to balance my vitamins effectively without me going off psychiatric medications. I am very sensitive to any medication adjustments, and fear that reducing my meds may result in me becomming suicidal. Thus, my hope is that eating meat again will do the trick. Thanks for your feedback.
    I'd take methylcobalamin, sublingually, daily. It's the type of B12 that's active in the brain and is capable of crossing the blood-brain barrier. You can get it online or at a health food store. You'll also need other B vitamins (at a different time)....especially folic acid (which works with B12).

Tab

Old 12-17-2004, 05:39 AM   #5
    ratboy83
    Inactive
    (male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vinelife
    Blue green algae is good also..

i beleive that spirulina is particularly good. it is the richest dietry source of B-12.

Old 12-17-2004, 11:17 AM   #6
    llamamuffinmama

llamamuffinmama HB User

Hi

You should also ask your doctor to check for something called "intrinsic factor" if he or she hasn't already-if you are not producing enough of this, then you aren't able to properly absorb B-12. That could be the problem rather than insufficient intake. If you don't have enough intrinsic factor, you could be suffering from pernicious anemia.

I'm a long-time vegetarian (vegan, in fact) myself and have never had any problems with B-12 or Vit D. There are adequate sources of both even in a vegan diet. (You only need a small amount regularly to remain healthy)

In your case injection might be the best way to boost your stores which have been severely depleted for some reason. What is/was your diet like?

I get B-12 from the following foods:
    fortified soymilks (which have vitamin D as well as calcium and B-12)
    fortified cereals
    Luna bars/Clif bars
    mock meats (like veggie dogs, etc)
    nutritional yeast (which i use to make gravies, etc)
    miso and tempeh
    I also try to remember to take a multivitamin once in a while for added assurance

And your body should produce adequate vitamin D if you get daily sun exposure on your face and hands for 10 minutes or more depending on your skin type.

If you don't want to eat poultry, you don't have to eat it to be healthy. There are a lot of other ways to get what you need. And many nutritionists/dieticians would be happy to help you meet your needs while remaining meatless. So feel free to shop around!

Finally, although "vitamins aren't toxic" might seem like a logical statement, it's not completely accurate. For some vitamins, like B-12, there is no known toxicity. But for others, such as vitamins A, E, K, and vitamin D, high levels can be toxic. (Think "sun poisoning"). So be careful to follow your doctor's recommendations for vitamins, because you can overdo it. Some vitamins are fat soluble and others are water soluble and this is a factor in whether or not overconsumption can be harmful to you.

Last edited by llamamuffinmama; 12-17-2004 at 11:18 AM.

Closed Thread